Black hair to red - disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy_moo

Reaction score
I would really love if anyone could help me with this :cry:

I dyed my hair black using XXL live (which I now know is every hairdressers worst nightmare sigh) more than 8 months ago. I recently tried to strip it (twice) using colour b4 as i wanted to go red. This didnt work as ends where still black.

went to hairdressors to get it dyed red was advised to wait a month so ends faded more (i dont see what difference a month would make to having already not dyed it for 8 months - but hey she was the proffessional!).

Waited the month went to salon paid a fortune and as I predicted it came out red at roots and black at bottom :mad:

my friend who is studying hairdressing is planning to help me fix this.
have been doing some research and seems that affinage eraser or blondi rae to strip it more then condition treatment then dye red. or to use a bleach bath?

am I on the right lines? any advice much appreciated :biggrin:

thanks x

No. Black xxl cannot be removed, it's gotta grow out.
I have never found anything that lifts that stuff.

I have been dying my hair black with XXl live colour for the past 9years. 2 weeks ago I decided to have it dyed brown.
The hairdresser stripped my black colour out (took her 2and a half hours) and then she put my chosen shade on. The hair came out in different shades of red and brown. So she said to come back in a week and she will re-do it again.
She put the same brown shade on and it came out beautifully. The colour is nice and even and I love it. I know for sure she didn't use bleach but some sort of colour eraser.
HTH.

I have been dying my hair black with XXl live colour for the past 9years. 2 weeks ago I decided to have it dyed brown.
The hairdresser stripped my black colour out (took her 2and a half hours) and then she put my chosen shade on. The hair came out in different shades of red and brown. So she said to come back in a week and she will re-do it again.
She put the same brown shade on and it came out beautifully. The colour is nice and even and I love it. I know for sure she didn't use bleach but some sort of colour eraser.
HTH.

thanks :) think im going to buy one of the colour erasers will keep u posted on results

So you would rather listen to a nail and Beaty tech than a colour tech??

Good luck with your hair!

Please listen to persianista, she knows what she is talking about!

Hey, I just wanted to share my experience. I realised now I shouldn't have replied to this as I am not a hair professional.

I hope we are cool, Persianista :)

PS: It now left me wondering what on earth did my hairdresser used to strip out my black colour?!

Last edited:

to be honest i didnt notice that. but clearly it is possible if it worked for her. i have spoken to a few other people who managed it too although i think they used bleach :S
its apparently not too damaging to hair to use blondi rae so its not going to hurt to try it

Even Scott Cornwall admits that his product is not that fantastic on XXL live colour especially if you have used straighteners as the product is full of silicones and the straighteners 'seal' in the silicone locking in the colour. It took me a couple of years to go from the live red back to blonde... and I only used the straighteners 3 times in over a year.

xxl is my worst nightmare - i have turned down 3 clients in the last 2 weeks who want to go blonde from xxl black - yeah, ok then!! I will not touch it with a 10 foot barge pole, I just can't risk my reputation as no doubt it would turn out horrible. Andrea - your hairdresser probably used something containing either formaldehyde, ammonia or bleach

Latest posts

Back