Bleached Hair Problems (pics included)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsGena

Reaction score
Hello, I'm not a professional and I'm sorry for posting here, but I can't seem to get help anywhere! My simple question is: do toners mixed with developers (20 and 30) actually LIFT pre-lightened hair? I'm asking because I bleached my hair a couple of times and it's still at a light yellow. I'm fearful to bleach again considering I bleached three times, so I'm wondering if mixing White Lady with a 30 developer will do the job? Thank you in advance!
My Goal:
whitehair.jpg

This is my hair:
hair.jpg

Don't do that. Don't do any of that. Go to a salon or a college. Are you going to keep going yourself until you RUIN your hair? Or get it done properly by a pro? The latter I think.

Don't do that. Don't do any of that. Go to a salon or a college. Are you going to keep going yourself until you RUIN your hair? Or get it done properly by a pro? The latter I think.

With all due respect, I rather not see a professional and if I go into reasons why, I'll just come off as a nut. So far I did about 2.5 bleachings from level 6 hair. I used Ion Color Brilliance Powder Bleach, which is apparently the most gentle bleach as it's mixed with coconut oil with prevents ample moisture loss and prevents too much protein from leaving the hair. Considering this bleach has received a number of excellent reviews with people with my color hair going straight to platinum in one shot and was noted for its fast bleaching time, I only kept the bleach in 35 minutes the first time with a 30 developer when the directions said it was safe to leave it in until 50. (Now I realize I would have been better leaving it for 50) The next day, I bleached for only 20 minutes (another bad decision) with a 30 developer and it barely made a difference. Clearly I have alien hair or the reviewers super speedy results are questionable; perhaps my bleach may even be defective. A day after the next day, I use the 30 developer again and FINALLY bit the bullet and left it in for 50 minutes. At last, my hair was finally a light yellow, but not quite that pale pale inside of a banana yellow. That's when I bought a 20 developer the last time and left the bleach on for another 50 minutes on the mid and bottom parts of my hair and I barely noticed a change! The picture I provided was directly after that final bleaching. So far I don't even have as much as one split end in my hair and it feels just as healthy as my mother's virgin hair. What I'm asking at this point is if I need another bleach, if I need just minimal lightening with a peroxide based toner, OR if I can just put on the Shimmer Lights at this point if no other lightening is needed.

With all due respect, I rather not see a professional and if I go into reasons why, I'll just come off as a nut. So far I did about 2.5 bleachings from level 6 hair. I used Ion Color Brilliance Powder Bleach, which is apparently the most gentle bleach as it's mixed with coconut oil with prevents ample moisture loss and prevents too much protein from leaving the hair. Considering this bleach has received a number of excellent reviews with people with my color hair going straight to platinum in one shot and was noted for its fast bleaching time, I only kept the bleach in 35 minutes the first time with a 30 developer when the directions said it was safe to leave it in until 50. (Now I realize I would have been better leaving it for 50) The next day, I bleached for only 20 minutes (another bad decision) with a 30 developer and it barely made a difference. Clearly I have alien hair or the reviewers super speedy results are questionable; perhaps my bleach may even be defective. A day after the next day, I use the 30 developer again and FINALLY bit the bullet and left it in for 50 minutes. At last, my hair was finally a light yellow, but not quite that pale pale inside of a banana yellow. That's when I bought a 20 developer the last time and left the bleach on for another 50 minutes on the mid and bottom parts of my hair and I barely noticed a change! The picture I provided was directly after that final bleaching. So far I don't even have as much as one split end in my hair and it feels just as healthy as my mother's virgin hair. What I'm asking at this point is if I need another bleach, if I need just minimal lightening with a peroxide based toner, OR if I can just put on the Shimmer Lights at this point if no other lightening is needed.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience, but this is a professional forum and it is against site rule to give advice to non pros on diy jobs.

Oh, well that stinks. Can I at least know if mixing a peroxide based toner with a 30 developer is lightening then? Thanks again for the fast replies; I really appreciate it.

Don't bleach it anymore. Don't lighten it anymore. That's all I'm going to say.

If u don't want to go to a professional how about going into sallys and asking they are very helpful and usually at least one of the staff are hairdressers they may be able to advise better asthey can actually see your hair
:0)

If u don't want to go to a professional how about going into sallys and asking they are very helpful and usually at least one of the staff are hairdressers they may be able to advise better asthey can actually see your hair

Sorry, but I don't think it's good advice for her to go into a wholesalers and buy and use products that she is not trained in.

A good silver shampoo will help tone it if its a light yellow colour I use the loreal one and as its quite strong i often don't need a toner after using that. I'd try that for a week or so then seek professional help :) but definitely no more bleach x

Lauren, I don't feel that advising she goes to sallys is wrong she's clearly gonna do this herself so she may as well get advise from a professional since we are unable to offer her a resolution on this site, obviously I agree that she should go to a hairdressers but as she's stated she's not gonna for reasons of her own which she didn't want to go into, so was just trying to be helpful :0)

I would say you need to ask someone in the know ie a hairdresser who can actually see your hair, you must be going to a wholesaler to buy developer and colour unless things are different over there in the US so try speaking to someone there, a member of staff or be cheeky an ask a customer who looks like a hairdresser. I would be very careful though as your going the right way to ruin your hair.

Toner is deposit only, non ammonia...... so there will be no lifting.... period. It will however make your hair darker.

With all due respect, I rather not see a professional and if I go into reasons why, I'll just come off as a nut.

Are u saying that you don't want to go to a salon because of the reason above. Or you do not want to discuss on here ??

If it's about the salon, you won't need to say Anything about the reasons. The only thing the stylist will be interested in is what you have done to your hair I.e product, time, etc.

I agree with everyone on here please go to a hairdressers.

It might seem okay to you as u have the m. Instructions but you have not had all the training professionals have. And the training with the hair structure and product knowledge.

Louise

Lauren, I don't feel that advising she goes to sallys is wrong she's clearly gonna do this herself so she may as well get advise from a professional since we are unable to offer her a resolution on this site, obviously I agree that she should go to a hairdressers but as she's stated she's not gonna for reasons of her own which she didn't want to go into, so was just trying to be helpful :0)

I know were your coming from, but I really don't think advising her to go a buy products that she is not trained in is a good idea.
Not all Sally's have a hairdresser, our local one doesn't, and I've heard the girls giving really bad advice before.

they are NOT legally allowed to do this!!!!!!!

Well then maybe this thread should removed since we are not able to offer any advise hopefully the lady will realise this and seek professional advise

Latest posts

Back