Blonde hair adding lowlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollieJade

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wanting to change my colour to a more highlighted effect, I'm bleach blonde at the minute I have bleach and 6% applied to my scalp, I've added some pictures below what I'm wanting to achieve, I do like ashy Browns but as it's going over white blonde hair I don't want it to go karky, what sort of colours would you use? And how would you do it? I was thinking weave out the blonde and add conditioner in foils (as it won't need no more bleach adding to it), then apply the brown round to the hair left out? I would be using either Wella or Loreal colours. Thanks X
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1446242396.627817.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1446242415.935878.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1446242430.190147.jpg

Use a level 8 as an lowlight. Anything darker you may get a shock and could look stripey
Keep in mind that on bleached hair the low lights won't last long so an all over colour base colour would be risky. Add a soft gold with a level 8 to prevent khaki tones. I never promise clients an ash result in these situations. Natural is often achieved.

Ive had success lo lighting like the pictures using a semi + 1.5% base 8 ash with base 8 gold copper . Even with a stronger formulation you will still get massive fade and the warmth will also fade and settle with time.

Goldwell do there own lowlight colours no need for pre pigging. They do 7/8 warm or neutral or 6/7 warm ir neutral. I use these all the time when lowlighting. They are Demi colours & can go over bleached hair

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1446480474.626289.jpg

I recently done this in a client and she was full head bleach I did 2-1 bleach and a goldwell 8gb

This is a recent bleach touch up and we added 7.32 lowlight;-) but it does fade until a build up - loved it tho ;-)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 236
Do a 50/50 mix of target lolite shade say lv6 in 6N + 6Gold for coverage on bleached hair. this is what I use for my blond/platnium clients with lolites.

2-1 is foul placement ie, 2 colour Foils then 1 bleach foil and so on ... x

This is a recent bleach touch up and we added 7.32 lowlight;-) but it does fade until a build up - loved it tho ;-)
Hi. Ive just spotted the colour youve recently done. My friend usually has bleach 30vol foils so shes very blonde all over, she wants this colour to break up the bleach a little. I love the colour you've done. I think my friend would still find it too warm though as she wants it ash. Could i dp the colours you have used then pop on a toner all over after to take out any warmth from the lowlights?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181103-090908_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20181103-090908_Messenger.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 48
I would consider adding doing a full head of lowlights first, I would be inclined to do 2 weaves of say colour touch 8/71 %1.9%
And when every third lowlight do a fine weave of colour touch 7/97 +1.9%
Either leave space where you want the blonde (like you were putting a blonde highlight in) or use conditioner in foil to get the spacing you want.
Like other have said it will probably fade quickly at first, but give it chance to settle, and it will start to stick.
Make sure you use and anti oxidising conditioner after the colour to help shut the cuticlea down. This will help keep the colour for longer.

I would consider adding doing a full head of lowlights first, I would be inclined to do 2 weaves of say colour touch 8/71 %1.9%
And when every third lowlight do a fine weave of colour touch 7/97 +1.9%
Either leave space where you want the blonde (like you were putting a blonde highlight in) or use conditioner in foil to get the spacing you want.
Like other have said it will probably fade quickly at first, but give it chance to settle, and it will start to stick.
Make sure you use and anti oxidising conditioner after the colour to help shut the cuticlea down. This will help keep the colour for longer.
Thanks for that. Is that with wella brand?

Thanks for that. Is that with wella brand?

Just had a look at the wella colour chart, those colours are cool tones, would these be ok on bleached hair? Wouldn't go greeny?

Just had a look at the wella colour chart, those colours are cool tones, would these be ok on bleached hair? Wouldn't go greeny?
They are technically neutral colours. 8/71 is brunette Ash, so will leave you with a very natural 8. And the 7/97 is a cendre brunette, so it's like a warmer violet with brunette tones. These are both my usual go to lowlight on prelightened hair, unless I want a warmer result. If you are worried you could always use perfecton /3 on the hair first, and then do your lowlights, and when you rinse, the perfecton will wash out of your blonde hair, As it's temporary and shampooed straight out.

They are technically neutral colours. 8/71 is brunette Ash, so will leave you with a very natural 8. And the 7/97 is a cendre brunette, so it's like a warmer violet with brunette tones. These are both my usual go to lowlight on prelightened hair, unless I want a warmer result. If you are worried you could always use perfecton /3 on the hair first, and then do your lowlights, and when you rinse, the perfecton will wash out of your blonde hair, As it's temporary and shampooed straight out.
Ah i see.. that's great. Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back