Bluesky Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumbles

Reaction score
I have been using for nearly 12 months bluesky shellac gel polish and curing it under a UV lamp. Recently about 2months ago i swapped it for a LED lamp as timings were quicker and the person i bought my gel off assured me that bluesky gel cure under both!!. About 4 weeks ago my fingers started to itch badly especially my hyonychium on all fingers. Went to GP and said they looked irritated. Came home and immediately soaked them off. Instant relief. Left them off ever since. Last night thought i would try again as I'm going to a New Year eve party and did both fingers and toes. Half past 2 this morning awoke to the dreadful itching but just on my fingers i had to soak them off straight away. (tired now) Left my toes as no symptoms have appeared.

All i can think is that the gel has not cured under the LED lamp and will it change things if i go back to UV? Plus my friend and my mum let me use them for training purposes.

Im very worried, I'm training to be a nail tech I'm on my lvl 3.

Will appreciate any help

Bumbles - do yourself a favour and remove this post ASAP before you get a tirade of abuse for even using Bluesky!!!! Xx

There will be no tirades ;). And no abuse !

There is no such product as Bluesky Shellac!

There is Bluesky.....and there is CND Shellac.

CND went to court to stop Bluesky using the term Shellac...and won.

Bumbles it sounds as if you have had an allergic reaction, this could be due to the poor quality of the Bluesky product, or it could be an undercuring problem through changing your type of lamp.
I would redo 1 nail and cure with your UV lamp to check out if it has been due to undercuring.
If you still get a reaction, then it may be time to move on to a more professional hypoallergenic product like the real CND Shellac.

Throw it in the bin and invest in a CND Shellac starter kit trust me you wont look back :) x

Don't invest in the CND starter kit!

If you have become allergic to the product, you will probably be allergic to ALL gel and acrylic nail products. Hypoallergenic means nothing, it's just a term used for marketing purposes.

Before spending lots of money buying new product kits, have a trial of shellac, gelish, or whichever you fancy at a good nail salon who use all the correct branded products. If your fingers don't start itching, great, you can invest in that product range. If they do, then you will have to wave bye bye to a career in Nail enhancements.

I've been there, bought the T'shirt etc. and had to sell my extensive collection of Gelish, OPI plus LED lamps at a huge loss to a trainee nail tech.

BTW, if you have developed an allergy, the itchy finger tips is just the start. I tried different products, the itching got much worse until my face swelled...Very Dangerous!

If you have become allergic to the product, you will probably be allergic to ALL gel and acrylic nail products. Hypoallergenic means nothing, it's just a term used for marketing purposes.

Before spending lots of money buying new product kits, have a trial of shellac, gelish, or whichever you fancy at a good nail salon who use all the correct branded products. If your fingers don't start itching, great, you can invest in that product range. If they do, then you will have to wave bye bye to a career in Nail enhancements.

I've been there, bought the T'shirt etc. and had to sell my extensive collection of Gelish, OPI plus LED lamps at a huge loss to a trainee nail tech.

BTW, if you have developed an allergy, the itchy finger tips is just the start. I tried different products, the itching got much worse until my face swelled...Very Dangerous!

I have to disagree with the start of your post. Hypoallergenic is not just a marketing ploy at all. A while back Doug Schoon posted a list of nail products from gels to l&p and gel polishes. On each list it showed the risk of allergic reactions. At the bottom of every list, so the least likely to cause reactions were CND Shellac, CND Brisa and Brisa Lite gels as well as CND's l&p system.

OP the problem with Bluesky is it is a low end product which has a gel base. You are likely to experience the same issues with other gel polishes such as Gelish, OPI Gel colour etc. Now not for one minute am I suggesting you won't experience issues with CND Shellac but its a lot less likely than gel polishes. CND Shellac is not a gel polish, its a power polish which has combined and created a new technology from regular polish and gel. I've got a client now who reacted to gel polishes and bluesky but doesn't react to CND Shellac.

I agree that before you invest in a new system you need to go and try the different brands first. Trade shows are the perfect place to do this. Go with naked nails and have a different product applied to each nail. Make sure you keep a note of whats on each nail.

I hope you find a solution xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Bluesky polishes gone. (wish I'd found the site sooner). I am currently in the middle of my Lvl 3 NVQ and i am training with NSI products. I would also like to offer CND Shellac to my clients. Do you have to have the CND lamp, all the CND starter kits i have found look like they have the cheaper version. Also when i have rang all the wholesalers Alan Howard, M&S, Sally Hair Beauty they don't stock CND….

Last edited:
Hi bumbles the only two places you will find genuine shellac from in the UK is sweet squared and ellisons. Sweet squared are extremely helpful :) x

Bluesky polishes gone. (wish I'd found the site sooner). I am currently in the middle of my Lvl 3 NVQ and i am training with NSI products. I would also like to offer CND Shellac to my clients. Do you have to have the CND lamp, all the CND starter kits i have found look like they have the cheaper version. Also when i have rang all the wholesalers Alan Howard, M&S, Sally Hair Beauty they don't stock CND….

Yes you do need the CND lamp. Its the only lamp that will cure CND Shellac correctly. You cannot see under curing and not getting a full cure will lead to service breakdown and the possibility of allergic reactions. Each CND Shellac colour is individually formulated and tje CND Lamp has been created to work perfectly with them. Other than that if you dont use the system as a whole and then encounter issues with clients which lead to them claiming on your insurance, your insurance will be void as you havent used the system as stated by the manufacturer.

Sweet Squared are the official UK distributors with the CND Academy's and Ellisons as official sub-distributors. If I were you when you get the chance give Sweet Squared a call on 0845 210 6060 theyll be able to offer you lots of advice and give you information on prices etc. Or if you can get to Pro Beauty London in Feb you could talk to them then about it xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for that. Tried to register with sweet squared but the contact site is down. Will give them a call tomorrow.

Just to re-iterate that calling something 'hypoallergenic' is meaningless advertising hype with no medical basis.

Hypoallergenic, meaning "below normal" or "slightly" allergenic, was a term first used in a cosmetics campaign in 1953.

It is used to describe items (especially cosmetics and textiles) that are claimed to cause fewer allergic reactions.
The term lacks a medical definition, but it is in common usage and found in most standard English dictionaries.

The cosmetic industry has been trying for years to block an industry standard for use of the term; in 1975; the USFDA tried to regulate the term 'hypoallergenic", but the proposal was challenged by cosmetic companies Clinique and Almay in the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, which ruled that the regulation was invalid.

Thus, cosmetic companies are not required to meet any regulations or do any testing to validate their claims that their products... are less likely to cause allergies. So they can say a product is hypoallergenic but they do not have to produce any evidence to back up the claim.

Same goes for 'power polish'…

You don't necessarily need the cnd lamp - it's a marketing ploy

I went through four lamps by cnd and they failed in a short space of time - poor quality.

I now use my nsi lamp and have had no problems at all

Surrey Girl through and through x

That's sad ,
And enough to turn anyone into a sceptic but I will say I have a reaction to Gelish and after that several others that are probably the same stuff in a different label (that happens a lot gelish , red carpet , artistic color gloss . Same thing different label there's others to , they just come to mind)

CND Shellac is NOT. It is original ,

And to be honest I DON NOT BLAME gelish completely for the reaction . I honestly think it was some how down to the LED lamp , of course I can't prove that , but you know most techs I know of whom have built that reaction have been using the LED lamps . Seems offten with an extension plug with a bunch of other things also plugged in to just saying ,

I have always been conscious of over exposure , i dont mix systems , i use correct products properly .
I used shellac the whole time before ,and still used it beside gelish and after. (gelish was for more color options at the time shellac was very new like I said each color separately formulated so it took them a while to fill demand and add colors . )

Even while my reaction was flaring up I still had clients and did not build a reaction to Shellac . Says something doesn't it? .
When people say its the same . Clearly it is NOT .

Anyway I am 100% fine with CND Shellac.and Brisa lite and Brisa gel and to the CND liquids and powders witch Ive used for years to.

I am not silly and i can understand that some companies probably do throw around hypoallergenic as a market ploy ,
Maybe even making you buy there full system to,
CND could(and in some country's do) charge a ton more for there products !
if they wanted to get rich quick they could get richer a lot quicker than selling there lamps. .

CND are science based they are innovative and work hard to formulate there products if they use the word hypoallergenic then they mean it!

This is why other "brands" <--- loosely using that word , try to jump on the band wagon and use words like Shellac .
It's probably worth the risk of copying and making money out of the people who know no better .or the non pros who can't buy the real thing .

CND try to keep it to us the professional nail tech . Is that a market ploy to?

I have faith in them . I would only use there products the way that they say you shuld . There products are different and that needs to be understood .

Professional products used by trained professionals, in a professional manor . Why is that such a hard concept for so many ? :)

Latest posts

Back