Botox for migraines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LocksOfLove

Reaction score
Hi!

Jumping over from hair here!

I suffer from really bad migraines, always have. I have a poorly heart - a mild type of heart failure. I'm on a bucket loads of meds and these cause my migraines to get more frequent and a lot more painful. I can't stand it any longer. I'm on loads of pain meds and medication to prevent them but they are still happening and not getting any better. My neurologist who's care I'm now discharged from recommended if they didn't get better to try Botox although I can't get this on the nhs, as this treatment is given to cluster headache patients on the nhs.

I'm only 20 and Botox is the last thing on my mind but I have tried everything to get rid of my migraines! Prescribed medication, herbal meds, acupuncture you name it I've tried it!

Any advice on trying the Botox route? Anyone know any good places around leeds? What price should I expect to pay etc?

Any help appreciated! Xxxx

Have you discussed the medication and side effects with your GP?
Also have a look at the NICE guidelines for botox for migraines.

It is very effective but also costly as you would need it very 3-6 months so if you are prepared for that go ahead.

However I would advise you to go back to your GP as there may be other options you can have as you are very young to be on so many meds and having that medical condition it doesn't seem fair to be lumbered with migraines too.

Good luck

Yeah I've discussed all my meds with them I'm on so many, I have to take 12 in the morning 8 in afternoon and around 10 in the evening. They've basically said I have to bear it, my heart meds are important and regularly being increased, under close monitor etc. they've advised there's nothing else more they can do. My meds all have multiple side effects most being migraines and stomach ulcers... :( I just can't stand the migraines anymore! It's the worst... Constant chest pain is better. I'm just looking at my options. I know it will be a regular thing every 3-6 months that's absolutely fine if it worked lol. Xxx

On what you have told me I would ask for a referral on the NHS re migraines as you may qualify for the botox treatment. You need to ask your gp for the referral.
You can have botox (subject to medical information) but I feel you may qualify under the NICE guidelines otherwise you are looking at paying between £150-£300 for regular private treatment.

If you came to see me in NHS I would refer you as it may be you are a special case.

Let me know how you get on
Good luck

Latest posts

Back