Bounced cheque - £35 charge ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
Do any of you geeks get a bank charge if someone pays you a cheque that then bounces ?

I paid for a treatment by cheque last week which should of cleared out of my bank account today but when I checked my account online this morning it had bounced because there weren't enough funds. Totally my fault as I got my dates wrong so I called them first thing and left a voicemail to say I had just realised that the cheque had bounced and that I would drop another round later today.

Just had a text to say that there bank charges them for bounced cheques so I will have to make it £70 instead :eek::eek:

I am a bit gobsmacked to be honest !! I know its my fault but I can't afford to just give her another £35 at the moment as ive just been hit with a £1000 bill for my car so I guess I will have to pay her in a few weeks.

I know that banks charge the person who wrote the cheque, because they should have the funds in their account, but the person who banks the cheque? Not heard of that before. Do you think she's trying to pull a fast one on you to get more money?

Ummmmmmmmm no I had a client that bounced a cheque on me before Christmas and I didn't get charged.

However the funds were cleared in my account for almost a week before they took them away because of the bounced cheque. The only thing I can think of is that the salon/therapist spent your money and then had it taken away making them overdrawn therefore causing the charge.

If that is the case then you don't have to pay it as they should wait until the funds have 100% cleared cause they can be recalled upto about 10 days after.

If she still insists ask her if you can see the charge, you are well within your rights!

I've had my share of charges for cheques I've written that have gone out before the cheques I've paid in have cleared. But, apart from some big companies citing 'admin charges' I've not known of individual small companies to charge.

Over the years, I've had a couple of clients pay by cheque that has then bounced but I've never been charged by the bank. Sounds to me like she's trying it on. And to tell you by text???? Doesn't exactly sound very professional....

I have had a clients check bounce and I was charged a fee. The next time she was in I politely told her about it and even showed her my statement, she apologized and included the fee in her payment.

I think it depends on where she banks. If you are really doubting her you could find out where she banks then contact them and ask what their policy is on bounced checks.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Thanks everyone.

It was actually for a chiropractic treatment and I have been a client for about 5/6 years so I don't know what to think.

Im assuming its a business bank account that she has although ive no idea which bank. Im sure I have heard some charge for returned cheques although I can't remember where or when I heard it, or even if i imagined it !

Im going to call my bank now and double check everything with them.

Spoke to Barclays and they seemed pretty sure that no banks charge for returned cheques ? If anyone knows of any that does please let me know !

I am going to give her cheque for original amount and ask if she can forward me a copy of any letter or statement detailing the charge and that I will then reimburse her for it.

I really can't see how banks can charge for returned cheques otherwise there would be an awful lot of self employed people complaining about bank charges if there cheques were bouncing through no fault of there own !!

I had a student give me a cheque that bounced, luckily I hadn't give her her certificate.
I didn't get charged for it, but she did.

I would definitely question it, sounds a bit strange. As if she has signs up for this also to state that this would happen.

I have an HSBC business account and they charged 4 quid when a cheque I paid in from a client bounced. Although my old account with Cater Allen did not charge when a cheque from another client bounced last year. But 35 quid seems extremely steep - to the point of taking the mickey! As in bankers getting huge bonuses on account of making such extortionate charges to small businesses!

You don't think she could have had a letter, and mis-read it so that when they say they'll be charging you, she thought they meant they'd be charging her?

Just a thought. I have to say that my initial reaction is that she's a toe-rag who's trying to scam money out of you.

I had a cheque bounce only last week that a client had paid with, and she was only charged £8 herself! (I wasn't charged anything) Seems a large charge, and why would a bank charge a business paying in a cheque, we don't know if the clients have money in their bank! Def see proof.

You don't think she could have had a letter, and mis-read it so that when they say they'll be charging you, she thought they meant they'd be charging her?

Just a thought. I have to say that my initial reaction is that she's a toe-rag who's trying to scam money out of you.

Well I don't think she knew the cheque had bounced until I called her. The bank seemed to think if she had checked her account online and saw the payment had reversed that she might think the -35 was a charge not the payment going back out ?

My friend suggested that the charge might be because she has already withdrawn the money and because the cheque has bounced it has taken her overdrawn. Is that my fault though ?

I feel really awkward now as I made a genuine mistake and its potentially going to cost me an extra £35 yet im always reading about people getting scammed by bounced cheques and then theres me straight on the phone completely mortified about a cheque bouncing and then getting a text telling me I need to pay £70 !!

Could you say you're happy to pay any charges, as long as you see proof of amounts?

I had a cheque bounce only last week that a client had paid with, and she was only charged £8 herself! (I wasn't charged anything) Seems a large charge, and why would a bank charge a business paying in a cheque, we don't know if the clients have money in their bank! Def see proof.

Thankfully I was only charged £8 which was a relief as I thought it was going to be around £30.

Could you say you're happy to pay any charges, as long as you see proof of amounts?

Yes I popped a letter in with cheque asking if she could send me a copy of the letter detailing charges when she receives it from her bank. I told her to black out any details like bank acc nums etc if she wants.

I wouldn't have my account with a bank that charged me if someone paid me a cheque that bounced. Imagine if it was a first time client and they just ignored it not only would you be out of pocket for the treatment but also a charge.

Well after some research I think she may be right.

Have checked all major banks and couldn't find anything so decided to check A&L my OWN bank which is now santander and found on their list of charges under the heading Receiving payments into your account. There is Unpaid cheque fee £32

So I guess I will have to pay it and I think I am going to switch bank accounts as I have quite a few cheques and I don't want to be in this situation if one bounces !!

Have checked all major banks and couldn't find anything so decided to check A&L my OWN bank which is now santander and found on their list of charges under the heading Receiving payments into your account. There is Unpaid cheque fee £32

So I guess I will have to pay it and I think I am going to switch bank accounts as I have quite a few cheques and I don't want to be in this situation if one bounces !!

Sheesh, that's excessively steep - it's 8 times more expensive that what HSBC charged me for a bounced cheque from a client (and I wasn't overly impressed when I found that a charge had appeared on my statement for that either)... but at least HSBC did send me a letter with the cheque in question enclosed though - so I'd agree that they did actually do something for the money!

I reckon there must be some pretty rich bankers in northern Spain if that's what Santander are charging for a bounced cheque!!!

But isn't that the fee that some banks charge for you not having enough money in your account?
NOT for the recipient to pay? Unless of course, your bounced cheque has made them go overdrawn?

i had a bounced cheque from a therapist renting a room, her monthly rent, hsbc were going to charge me £13.00 admin fee, but for once i argued my case and they agreed not to charge me this time!

sharon

But isn't that the fee that some banks charge for you not having enough money in your account?
NOT for the recipient to pay? Unless of course, your bounced cheque has made them go overdrawn?

I can't say for certain but I am going to call my bank today to get the official answer and also give them a piece of my mind. Im going to change banks now as a matter of principal. I did have a current account with A&L but when that became santander I changed as the service was awful (something they are well known for!) looks like my business account will be going the same way !!

Rosie I can't understand why she hasn't done the same, if she has then she hasn't told me. I would certainly appreciate it if she did !

Latest posts

Back