Bounced cheque - £35 charge ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently bank with Santander and didn't get charged when a client cheque recently bounced. When I banked with hsbc I did get charged £4 for acheque which bounced, then another £4 because they presented it twice before returning it. These were both business accounts, so probably different to personal accounts. I know that both times the clients bank charged them.
Diane x

Just a quick update

I called Santander and they were adamant they don't charge for bounced cheques and confirmed that if a client paid me a cheque and it bounced I would not be charged.

Since then I have had a copy of her statement. Its actually a statement listing a few transactions printed from her home pc. It doesn't even have the bank name.

The transaction just says unpaid cheque, my surname and then the amount and it was applied the day after my cheque bounce from my own account. It looks to me as if its just the funds from the original cheque going back out of her account. It doesn't look like a charge and if it was surely it wouldn't be applied straight away, I thought they had to give you X amount of days notice now.

I am going to call her tomorrow and say that I need a letter from the bank stating she has had an actual charge as what she has given me proves nothing.

Just a quick update

I called Santander and they were adamant they don't charge for bounced cheques and confirmed that if a client paid me a cheque and it bounced I would not be charged.

Since then I have had a copy of her statement. Its actually a statement listing a few transactions printed from her home pc. It doesn't even have the bank name.

The transaction just says unpaid cheque, my surname and then the amount and it was applied the day after my cheque bounce from my own account. It looks to me as if its just the funds from the original cheque going back out of her account. It doesn't look like a charge and if it was surely it wouldn't be applied straight away, I thought they had to give you X amount of days notice now.

I am going to call her tomorrow and say that I need a letter from the bank stating she has had an actual charge as what she has given me proves nothing.

From what you've said here it sounds like your cheque has shown as going in & then going out again the next day. But as you say, she'd be informed by her bank that she has been charged & they will be taking the fee from her account 2-3 later.

Seems to me she's not very well informed!

Do any of you geeks get a bank charge if someone pays you a cheque that then bounces ?

Unfortunately, yes :(

In one case, I ended up having to pay for a bounced cheque and receiving no payment at all. Ended up out of pocket to the tune of around £100. To say I wasn't happy was a bit of an understandment!

I guess it depends on who you bank with.

Bombini, have you thought about using a card terminal instead of taking cheques?

Yes it is another business expense but one worthwhile. Much less admin hassle for you, no more bounced cheques!

If you had a card machine, people would be inclined to spend more on their 'credit' card :)

I was charged £25 for a bounced cheque someone gave me few years ago. I passed it onto client which is the right thing to do.

Would have had no problem supplying proof of charge which they did not question as they knew they were to "blame".

I don't take cheques these days.

Unfortunately, yes :(

In one case, I ended up having to pay for a bounced cheque and receiving no payment at all. Ended up out of pocket to the tune of around £100. To say I wasn't happy was a bit of an understandment!

I guess it depends on who you bank with.

Would you mind telling me which bank it is ? Could be the same one as her.

Bombini, have you thought about using a card terminal instead of taking cheques?

Yes it is another business expense but one worthwhile. Much less admin hassle for you, no more bounced cheques!

If you had a card machine, people would be inclined to spend more on their 'credit' card :)

I haven't had a problem with cheques its my chiropractor thats got the problem lol.

I haven't had a problem with cheques its my chiropractor thats got the problem lol.

Whoops I misread the whole entire thread. Sorry.

Would you mind telling me which bank it is ? Could be the same one as her.

Sure; it's the Clydesdale (yorkshire bank, owned by NAG National Australia Group, so I imagine most of their banks would be the same?) - I'm not sure if you have them down there? But charging the recipient for a bounced cheque certainly, unfortunately, does happen. I couldn't believe it when I saw the blerry thing! :eek:

Last edited:
The saga continues !!!!

I contacted her a couple of weeks ago saying that I needed a copy of statement or letter clearly showing the charge and she posted a copy of her bank statement that she had downloaded off the internet so there was no details of her bank name or even her address and all it showed was about 5 transactions then at the bottom my unpaid cheque going out of the account on the day it bounced. Obviously this wasn't a charge it was just the original £35 debiting out of her account.

I didn't contact her again until yesterday as in all honesty I didn't know what to say, I mean if its on paper and she still can't get it I don't understand how me explaining it to her will make a difference !

So I text her, saying that I needed an actual letter detailing the charge or a statement showing two debits of £35, one for cheque & one for charge. I was hoping the last bit would make her realise that she hasn't been charged or if she has then I can see proper evidence.

About 5 mins ago an envelope came through my door containing a slip dated 22nd Feb which im assuming was sent from the bank containing my bounced cheque. It says,

We are writing to advise you that the enclosed cheque has been returned to us unpaid by the bank on which it is issued for the reason stated below.
We have debited your account number xxxxxxx with the value of the cheque of £35

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

Is it me ????? Am I the one thats being thick ??? I really, really can't believe that she is expecting me to give her an extra £35 without any actual evidence of a charge ?!

Is it me ????? Am I the one thats being thick ??? I really, really can't believe that she is expecting me to give her an extra £35 without any actual evidence of a charge ?!

You're not being thick, I am reading it the same way as you are..... Any time I've had a cheque bounce from a client the only 'charge' to me is the money going back out!!

I would not be paying it without evidence of a separate charge.

Latest posts

Back