breaking nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julia_james

Reaction score
sorry if this seems so long winded
i did my friends nails a few weeks ago and she has told me that when the nails broke off they pulled off the tip of her natural nail and also that the sides of her nails split slightly across what can be causing this?

If your friends natural nails were a bit on the weak side then the bond between product and nails was obviously stronger than the bond between the keratin in her nails - does that make sense LOL.

It could also mean that the stress area may not have been in correct proportion, causing a weakness.

Hi!

Sorry - dont know if i have read this correctly - but when you apply a tip you adhere it to the free edge of the natural nail, so if the enhancement breaks/snaps off, it will usually take some of the natural free edge with it. The cracking is probably due to the trauma of the enhancement coming off.
Maybe you did these nails slightly to long for your client and she kept knocking them - this could explain why they broke off??

Sorry if i have got the wrong end of the stick!!;)

her nails seemed quite strong
but i couldnt understand why her nails had been splitting across her tip

Do you mean the tip on the enhancement or on her natural nails?
If you knock your enhancement really hard it will cause it to crack. I have had my own crack on both sides before - this is usually because i have done them myself and they are not as strong/well balenced as usual and therefore can not withstand as much trauma as usual.
Have you asked her how they broke off??

she just said she didnt knock it or anything they just fell off

but i could nt understand that if it just fell off why would it bring off her natural nail?

Ummm, sounds suspecious (sp??doh!! ) to me, nails dont just fall off for no reason!! If she has pulled the nails off then as she pulls she wil rip the natural nail off because the tip has been adhered to her natural nail using pretty strong stuff ! Thats why you should always recommend to clients that they come back to you to soak/buff nails off - this way minimal damage is done to the natural nails.:confused:

she would have knocked them and not realised it, probably a few times too. that's what normally happens to the 'they all fell off' clients, they don't realise that every time they knock and bang their enhancements they're weakening them and then they probably break when they're doing something gentle like running their fingers through their hair, hence why they don't think it's their fault.
if the apex is replaced at every rebalance there shouldn't be any weakening at the stress area and her nails should stay intact.

Latest posts

Back