Brown Lvl2, too much burgundy red

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamacat

Reaction score
I'm a natural level 3/4, very cool ash, pink skin tone. For spring, i lightened up to an all-over 4(ash) with 6/7 ombre and a few balayage highlight. Wanting to darken up again, I decided to go with a 3N and just a few places of 5A around my face. But i made a stupid mistake... I got distracted and didn't check while i was processing. My hair totally ate up the color and i ended up with a 2 all over and a little bit of 3 where i had put the 5. I'm not too worried about the level, I'll shampoo to fade a bit, and it honestly looks pretty good dark. But it has this totally unnatural blood red, burgundy, almost maroon cast to it in bright light and i want to tone that to a more neutral hue. The red tone looks so bad against my skin. And as soon as i enter the sun, it screams "hair dye!" It looks like box color. Sad.

Do I have to lighten up a bit before trying to tone? I've never tried to tone hair this dark. I could do a bleach wash, but I'm really okay with the darkness. Its just the red... I think Black Cherry is a good name for it... It needs green. I just don't know if I'm too dark for anything to grab.

Wwyd if I was your client... or if it was your head? :) Thanks in advance!

Are you a stylist? How did you get red in your hair if you only used n's & a's ? Were you previously red?

Latest posts

Back