Brunettes fading red

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xhoniebunnyx

Hair, Beauty and SPMU
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I searched with no luck!

A new client came to me today and said she had been unhappy with her previous colourist as her hair colour was always coming out too red or fading redder between visits.

She was naturally a 5 with grey maybe 30-40%. The remaining colour on her hair was a base of 4 with quite a strong red tone. I am a fully qualified hairdresser but my colour correction is my weakest skill i'm afraid.

She wanted a more coffee coloured brown, which I took to mean natural/cool toned. I used a 4 on her roots with 20vol and luo colour 6.07 on the rest for half the development time to tone. Not sure If this was best but was working with what I had and the result was lovely but still warm.

Is there a better way of dealing with this other than keep toning out the red as it appears? Would a violet shampoo help even tho green is what's needed to knock the red out?

This is a common problem in my experience and i would love to be confident in correcting it xxx:cry:

Do you know if she had been light blonde recently? Eg last 4 months ? I would personally use something quite neutral not natural, neutral colours kill warmth without being to metallic like .07 colours

Definately never been blonde before, I asked. Thanks for the advice, if I use a neutral will it last or need re toning regularly?
:)

Without seeing how much red it's hard to say but I have only had to re tone a neutral once! My own hair!! Lol

Latest posts

Back