Children in the Salon - Your views wanted!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should children be allowed in salons?

• Yes

Votes: 60 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 193 76.3%

• Total voters

abbicox

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Guild News are producing an opinion feature on 'Children in the Salon' and would love comments, quotes and advice from salon owners and therapists.

Here are the guide questions -

:?: Should children be allowed in a salon whilst their parents have treatments?

:?: Should children be allowed in a salon to have treatments themselves?

:?: How can this impact on treatments and other clients?

:?: What age is acceptable for children to be allowed in the salon?

:?: Should there be a code of conduct for bringing children into a salon?

:?: Suggestions for coping with children in a salon - E.g - Having a designated children's area or special appointment times when clients are allowed to bring children.

If anyone could offer some guidance on this issue, or would like to give their views please comment below or email me directly at [email protected].

Thanks!! :)

Abbi x

It depends on what sort of salon and which treatment the percent/guardian has come in for :rolleyes: It's a tough one !

I do not allow children under 12 in my salon. It's a small salon and women are happy to bring babies in giant prams / pushchairs and toddlers in, whilst having over an hours worth if treatments , who on earth do they think is going to look after the child!? It drives me mad, also my other clients don't want their own children present making a noise and touching things, let alone someone elses offspring. They got childcare so should the ones that don't.

I have it clearly on my website and yet some people still insist on bringing their children with them. I turn them away there and then. If they don't come back so be it, my salon, my rules and I am keeping more clients happy by banning children than I am losing by doing so.

I am a Mother myself and could think of nothing worse than taking my child with me. That may sound harsh but the whole point of me having a treatment done, whatever it may be, is to relax and have something done for ME! I would be too busy telling him no don't do that, no don't touch that and wouldn't be able to relax. Not to mention there is no way my son would sit somewhere "boring" for an hour and behave perfectly and quietly for that entire time. It's unfair to the child, let alone the other clients or yourself.
As a technician, I feel the same, the whole experience should be relaxing for both client and technician, if the tech is getting/feeling stressed having an unruly child in the salon then it may be presented through their work ;) I understand that sometimes a parent has no choice but to take them, I have a situation at the end of the month where I have a hair appointment and its the only time I can do. It's a weekday and it's now school hols so I have no choice but to take him as we have no friends or family that live nearby to us, so no one to have him for me. This is the first time EVER I will be taking him with me and I'm dreading it TBH! On the whole I feel that if you can't go without your child then you shouldn't go or go on an evening or weekend when you have your partner to look after them instead. If I had a choice this month then I wouldn't be taking my son with me, it's MY time and I want to enjoy it!

So all in all......NO :p

Exactly. My son would never have sat still and I would have been on edge.

I'm one of them mothers that take my children into salons,only hair appointments and if it is out of school hours...
I see it from both sides but if you have no choice to have a out of school hours appointment and have no one to look after the children then unfortunately kids will be in tow.
must say my sons do behave but ask loads of questions lol ( so inquisitive)
sazza

I'm one of them mothers that take my children into salons,only hair appointments and if it is out of school hours...
I see it from both sides but if you have no choice to have a out of school hours appointment and have no one to look after the children then unfortunately kids will be in tow.
sazza

interesting thread!

whilst i love kids i feel for health and safety reasons that they should not be in the treatment room t the time of a treatment? you cant watch a child and do your job properly and depending on the treatment being distracted could cause injury , particuarly if doing say semi permanent eyelashes.

Also due to health & safety would insurance allow this?

sazza

It's different in hair salons, but in beauty salons they have no place. Turn up kids in tow and blatantly ignore salon policy then be prepared to been turned away.

I have kids, I LOVE kids but I say no kids in the salon.

Years ago, when my youngest was about 3, we stopped by the salon I worked at to visit. I turned my back for all of 2 seconds and I hear screaming. One of the techs had a shot glass at her station with IA in it and my son drank it.

Needless to say, after about having a heart attack myself over it, calling poison control, etc. I'm a firm believer of no kids in the salon.

Of course, there ARE exceptions but they should be exceptions, not the rule.

I've had my baby with me getting my hair done (and that wasn't ideal if I'm honest) but there is no way I'd have him with me for a beauty treatment! It just isn't appropriate as if if having a facial it wouldn't be relaxing and anything else I couldn't move about to see to him. I'm surprised anyone would have their kid with them for beauty.

I completely agree with the majority of this. My children are 1, 3, and 5 and I would never take them to work with me or take them with me when I was having a treatment. There's a time and a place. I adore my children but it really isn't appropriate to take them to work with you. And when I go for a treatment, even a leg and bikini wax, I do not want to have to worry about what my kids are doing.

I totally agree with all the above! I have had mothers (with crawling babies) come for waxing. It's not ideal when you have a babe, climbing up your wax lead on your wax stand (heart in mouth time!).
I've four cherubs (!) & I have never or would ever take them with me. It's distracting for the mother, and very distractive for the tech/therapist.
I am happy to treat children from 12 yrs old, as long as the parent us there. Sometimes though I have to say, Mummy can get in the way lol!!

this is my personal opinion and i dont have children myself so i apologise to anyone who does because i understand its hard with childcare or finding time when you dont have them but if i walked in a salon and there was children in there i'd walk back out, i've been in a few situations when i've been in salons (hair and beauty) and there have been children running wild, and yes for every out of control child you will always get the lovely little boy/girl who sits down quietly and reads a book or watches a dvd but one person wrecks it for the rest so no, children should not be aloud in the salon, people pay alot of money for treatments and its a treat and a chance to relax, not listen to children scream and cry. again i dont mean to offend anyone, just my point of view

Totally agree with you!

Totally agree too ;) I will be saying no children when I open up, will explain about the dangers and blame it on insurance if necessary but no, no children. Not at all ;)

This has been discussed at length, many times before, many peeps getting up in arms over it.

I repeat: I AM a mother of two children, I HAVE had to 'make do' when hubby worked 7/7days a week and make arrangements. There is no such thing as 'can't get a sitter'.
If I have to "go without", such was my choice when I decided to become a mother and I do NOT have the right to enforce the presence of my children upon anyone else. There was only hubby and I at their conception, therefor we are the only ones obliged to 'suffer' :wink2: (hahaha) their existence.

Salon services are a LUXURY and not a necessity, so if a parent has to go without because they are unable to make arrangements, oh well. I did it many times and I survived.
Everyone has a choice:
  • A client may choose a child-friendly salon, OR choose a salon that prohibits children.
  • A salon may welcome children, or deny them access.
NO ONE at the end of the day, has the right to enforce THEIR personal choices upon someone else.

Here's my notice to clients on the subject - borrowed from a fellow peer and edited to suit my needs. Help yourself.

Any child that comes to Ongles Chez Victoria MUST be supervised by an adult, at all times, who is NOT receiving a service.
The salon is small and not equipped for entertaining small children.
You are NOT receiving a good service when you are twisting in your chair constantly, trying to see what your child is doing in the other room.
We are NOT providing a good service to you when we are constantly watching out of the corner of our eye to make sure your child isn't drinking acetone or smacking their head off of a table.
Minors are NOT covered by Insurance in such an instance, should any injury befall them, as it's not an environment suitable to children.
Finally, some of your fellow clients who are receiving services, come to the salon to escape THEIR children, they don't want to have to listen to and/or watch your child.

We thank you for your cooperation, remember, if you must bring your child with you to your appointment, please be sure to bring an adult with you.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to City Bylaws of Chateauguay with regards to running a commercial business on a residential property, Ongles Chez Victoria is not permitted to entertain more than two clients at a time on the property. So, by bringing your child and the necessary care-giver, you accept full responsibility and will pay any such fines incurred for breaching this law if there is a penalty.
Thank you!

Very good notice, VHunter! I especially love: Finally, some of your fellow clients who are receiving services, come to the salon to escape THEIR children, they don't want to have to listen to and/or watch your child.
Amen to that! :)

I have done makeup as a lady has been breastfeeding, eyebrow wax on a lady with a baby on her lap and toddler in tow, minx on a lady breastfeeding, the hardest was bikini wax on a lady holding her baby last week... but these women are my clients and I think I'm quite observant of hazards generally so I'm quite chilled on the subject.

Children on planes bother me because I don't travel really well and u are generally only metres away and actually trapped with them. (and once I had a flight from hell with the toddler kicking my chair for a full 20mins then putting up a fuss over food with yoghurt ending up in my hair then it was sick and thats something i hate hate hate.)

Got a cute padded rocking chair on a fluffy rug outside the beauty room and a makeup room so the kids just sit on that for quiet bits and look at my crazy makeup books.

I would take my 7 yr old daughter along for a hair appointment as she is really good & will sit quietly reading but I would be on edge if I took my son as he has, shall we say, lots of chracter!!' but if it was a beauty treatment I would be alone as it's my me time. I work mobile & from home & during the holidays I have people come to me with their children, I have a selection of toys & DVDs for them & so far they have been good, my daughter (7) is also there but my son is at the childminders as I can't concentrate on my client when I'm wondering what hes going to do next!!

Those that just turn up with kids are down right rude because they have given no thought to other peoples preferences.

I don't like kids, I don't want my own kids so I sure as hell don't want anyone else's kids in my salon.

I may sound like a bitch but that's my opinion on it.

Latest posts

Back