Children in the Salon - Your views wanted!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should children be allowed in salons?

• Yes

Votes: 60 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 193 76.3%

• Total voters
Those that just turn up with kids are down right rude because they have given no thought to other peoples preferences.

I don't like kids, I don't want my own kids so I sure as hell don't want anyone else's kids in my salon.

I may sound like a bitch but that's my opinion on it.

Don't worry you don't sound like a bitch! Lol. I also hated kids before I decided to have my own (now I like them, well my own at least!) and I couldn't think of anything worse than having my nails done and having a naughty child running around me, bashing into me, etc, I would end up getting so annoyed. Kids and beauty just don't mix. Maybe a sensible teenager or an older sensible child that behaves but as a salon owner it would get awkward if you had to kick one kid out but not the other. If a salon had a 'no kids' policy I wouldn't be offended, I would understand. I would only be unhappy if I walked in to book the appointment with the pushchair and was told to get out like a 16 year old entering a betting shop! Lol.

children in a salon........NO NO NO!!!!! :Scared:

Im no child hater :cool: (i do have two little angels myself! but it causes chaos!!

the salon i work in (hair & beauty) is family run and that means the little ones in the family (7, 11, 13) are often around, esp during school hols!!

and what a pain!!

imo it looks unprofessional, can cause accidents and can be very noisy!! which is not good esp if you giving relaxing treatments! if i went to a salon and children were there, clients or owners i would not go back..........im paying my hard earned cash to go an get pampered!!

:suprised:

however i do understand some people have noone to childmind so maybe it would be an idea to have a designated 'child friendly' day??? and make all customers aware that children maybe in the salon??

but on the whole........No NO NOOOOOOO

Those that just turn up with kids are down right rude because they have given no thought to other peoples preferences.

I don't like kids, I don't want my own kids so I sure as hell don't want anyone else's kids in my salon.

I may sound like a bitch but that's my opinion on it.

Not a b*tch, at all! I LOVE kids but there are certain situations they just don't belong. I can't stand going out to eat and some screaming kid is running amok. Same in a salon, I don't want to be having my hair/nails/waxing done and kids are underfoot. When I'm in a salon, that's MY time. :)

I've put on my price list & a sign on door - "sadly I cannot have children in the salon due to my insurance"
If they turn up with kids- i turn them away. I had a child about to dip his hand in my hot wax once, then I had to go wipe a childs bottom after a poo cos her mum was Chilling- that was it for me! Don't forget- mummy will sue u If her child gets hurt in ur salon & she won't have any qualms about bad mouthing u at same time. There is a time & a place for children & a beauty salon is not that place.

I would have a grid at the entrance that lets adults in and drops kids through to the cellar, but Political correctness prevents it. Grrrrrr!

I have a sign up saying I cant have children in the salon due to health and safety and insurance requirements.

I have 4 kids, but I cant abide having kids in the salons, its just not a safe environment and I dont think its fair to expect other clients to put up with them. Its a boring and dangerous place for kids and they are not welcome in my salon.

I have a sign up saying I cant have children in the salon due to health and safety and insurance requirements.

I have 4 kids, but I cant abide having kids in the salons, its just not a safe environment and I dont think its fair to expect other clients to put up with them. Its a boring and dangerous place for kids and they are not welcome in my salon.

I need a sign , like the no dogs or no smoking, with a red line through it lol. Thats it, why do they expect us and other clients to put up with their children... Sneaking off to google no children allowed signs.

I am feeling quite stressed to say the least, after a client just came in for an hours waxing appointment with her 2 kids under the age of 5 in tow! I try to be as patient and understanding as possible when a client brings their kids to an appointment with them and they always say that it's because they haven't been able to find childcare.
However I have to agree with a lot of the previous posts, that it's just downright inconvenient and unsafe. This client proceeded to let her kids climb all over her whilst I was trying to carry out a bikini wax with kids arms and legs flying everywhere. I said to her that it probably wasn't a good idea to let the kids up on the couch but she was so involved with what they were doing, she wasn't even listening to me.

At one point her boy had his hand on the patch of wax on her bikini line and I just had to bite my tongue from getting quite irate with her and him. The boy was playing with the mag light too, flicking the switch on and off numerous times and all I could do was make a comment about 'you'll wear the bulb out if you keep on doing that' while my client didn't bat an eyelid.

I work on my own in a shop so always try to accommodate my clients as best I can but sometimes I think I can be too polite! I might look into the no kids allowed sign too :D

I am feeling quite stressed to say the least, after a client just came in for an hours waxing appointment with her 2 kids under the age of 5 in tow! I try to be as patient and understanding as possible when a client brings their kids to an appointment with them and they always say that it's because they haven't been able to find childcare.
However I have to agree with a lot of the previous posts, that it's just downright inconvenient and unsafe. This client proceeded to let her kids climb all over her whilst I was trying to carry out a bikini wax with kids arms and legs flying everywhere. I said to her that it probably wasn't a good idea to let the kids up on the couch but she was so involved with what they were doing, she wasn't even listening to me.

At one point her boy had his hand on the patch of wax on her bikini line and I just had to bite my tongue from getting quite irate with her and him. The boy was playing with the mag light too, flicking the switch on and off numerous times and all I could do was make a comment about 'you'll wear the bulb out if you keep on doing that' while my client didn't bat an eyelid.

I work on my own in a shop so always try to accommodate my clients as best I can but sometimes I think I can be too polite! I might look into the no kids allowed sign too :D

Oh god,you poor thing, i feel stressed just reading that! That is unacceptable. You must stand your ground or she will come back with her little darlings in tow! She may even tell her mummy friends about this great salon that you can take kids into :suprised:

Oh and those signs...I found lots! Have ordered one.:biggrin:

One of the nail techs had a regular client who always brought her 8 year old son to every nail appointment, completely ignoring our strict no-child policy. The tech and the client weren't bothered by the boy but the rest of us certainly were. This kid was a pain in the a**. Not to mention the other regular clients couldn't talk about the things we ladies like to talk about because there was a child there and it didn't make for an overall relaxing experience. It got so bad that the other clients wanted their appointments scheduled around hers.

Well, the nail tech moved on to another salon and I inherited this client. She showed up to her first appointment with me, kid in-tow. I told her she couldn't bring him to her next appointment...pointing out to her our no-child policy. She made a big deal that she had been bringing him all this time. I guess she didn't think I was serious because she showed up to her next appointment, kid in-tow, and I refused her service. She never came back. Nobody cared.

OMG I had a totally horrendous experience with children in my salon only last week - funnily enough it was the day after I had been reading this thread. I have two small children (age 9 and 5) and whilst I keep my son out of the salon (he is the 5 year old) my daughter does sometimes come if its quiet to have her nails done or a pedicure - some mummy and daughter time. However, she has been brought up around a salon environment and knows fully how to behave and appreciates that my clients are there to relax. She is more than happy to chill out if anyone comes in. However, she would never be allowed near the salon when its busy (which is most of the time now). So, with this in mind, I read these threads and thought, it's tricky because some children behave very well and some young girls even like to have their nails painted. However.... my opinions completely changed after my experience last week... awful...

I had 2 young girls come by for spray tans with a 1 year old baby each. After barging into the salon, buggy first, and slamming my door into the wall (creating a lovely hole in my brand new wall/paintwork), I agreed to do the treatments as it was quiet. To cut a long story short, each mum produced each child with messy sausage rolls whilst they waited - paraded around my salon in their undies trying to settle their screaming babies, ruined their tans settling their crying babies (equipped with sausage rolls, juice and wet nappies), cursed me for the state their babies made of the tans and then to top it all (whilst I was completely stressed out of my box)... I was at reception, heard a thud at the top of my stairs (see photo of stair in my pix!!)and I looked up towards the treatment room to see the baby on the floor, head first - he had been left and fallen off my treatment bed!!!!!!! I was mortified. Anyway, that was it. I decided to put a sign on my door/leaflets/website to say that all prams/pushchairs/babies/children under age 8 are strictly forbidden from the salon - for insurance, health & safety reasons and in the interests of client comfort.

I have had a salon for years now and always prided myself in welcoming mums with children, so long as they were respectful to others. However, I can't allow it any more. It is only right and respectful to all of my clients that they are provided with a relaxing and child free zone for their money. My spray tans were not carried out effectively because of the girls bringing their babies - they both left stresses out with upset babies and me feeling deflated at the whole experience..... grrrrrrrrr x

Bloody hell! Again, i feel stressed just reading that alone being there! I hate the way they barge in with prams and pushchairs and take over the place. No children, no food in my salon, no stupid mothers who believe its their God given right to bring their child into the salon!

One of the nail techs had a regular client who always brought her 8 year old son to every nail appointment, completely ignoring our strict no-child policy. The tech and the client weren't bothered by the boy but the rest of us certainly were. This kid was a pain in the a**. Not to mention the other regular clients couldn't talk about the things we ladies like to talk about because there was a child there and it didn't make for an overall relaxing experience. It got so bad that the other clients wanted their appointments scheduled around hers.

Well, the nail tech moved on to another salon and I inherited this client. She showed up to her first appointment with me, kid in-tow. I told her she couldn't bring him to her next appointment...pointing out to her our no-child policy. She made a big deal that she had been bringing him all this time. I guess she didn't think I was serious because she showed up to her next appointment, kid in-tow, and I refused her service. She never came back. Nobody cared.

Good for you! I would do the exact same thing. I have a hair salon next door to my salon, nothing to do with me just happen to be next door, I get the ''oh they let children in their salon, how come you don't'' OMG :rolleyes:

My thoughts under your questions:

Hi Guys,

Guild News are producing an opinion feature on 'Children in the Salon' and would love comments, quotes and advice from salon owners and therapists.

Here are the guide questions -

:?: Should children be allowed in a salon whilst their parents have treatments?

Only if salon big enough and has a designated area for kids

:?: Should children be allowed in a salon to have treatments themselves?

Only with a parent or guardian present, but depending on what treatment. If I feel it was unsuitable then I'd refuse

:?: How can this impact on treatments and other clients?

It shouldn't, no client should affect another client. If it does something is wrong.

:?: What age is acceptable for children to be allowed in the salon?

Ideally, 16+

:?: Should there be a code of conduct for bringing children into a salon?

Definately

:?: Suggestions for coping with children in a salon - E.g - Having a designated children's area or special appointment times when clients are allowed to bring children.

That would be the way to go, I'd have a 'Mother's Day' on a Monday or something...

If anyone could offer some guidance on this issue, or would like to give their views please comment below or email me directly at [email protected].

Thanks!! :)

Abbi x

I am a mum and I like to have me time so nice to be in child free salons but once I was desperate to have my eyebrows waxed, for a night out (can't do my own, I'm no good at it on myself lol) and couldn't get a sitter and nowhere would let me in with my boy and I felt so sad and went out with untidy brows so hated my appearance and had no confidence.

I see it from both sides, certainly though would I NOT allow disruption at all from any age.

Just my opinion, great thread!

I bring my son everyday ....he is well behaved...but we have a play room in between clients i go in and play w/ him or my clients kids make for great company

I would have a grid at the entrance that lets adults in and drops kids through to the cellar, but Political correctness prevents it. Grrrrrr!

Hahaha that made me howl. I want one of those grids, hurry up and patent it before some hack steals your idea lol.

Children in the salon? No, no and just in case I didn't make it clear enough, NO!!
I have never turned a client away as I work from home, so its only their experience they are ruining if they turn up with a brood and as long as they pay me at the end and the demons, oops, sorry, children don't touch my products or equipment, then everyone is happy.

I once rented a room in a hair salon where the owner would bring her puppy in to work with her, the dog was adorable and I loved her to bits, but she would leave little puddles and parcels all over salon and on a couple of occasions, on my treatment room floor and because her owner was busy with a client, I had to clear it up. There were dog hairs all over place and several regulars stopped coming as they didn't care for dogs. a salon is no place for pets OR children.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

this is my personal opinion and i dont have children myself so i apologise to anyone who does because i understand its hard with childcare or finding time when you dont have them but if i walked in a salon and there was children in there i'd walk back out, i've been in a few situations when i've been in salons (hair and beauty) and there have been children running wild, and yes for every out of control child you will always get the lovely little boy/girl who sits down quietly and reads a book or watches a dvd but one person wrecks it for the rest so no, children should not be aloud in the salon, people pay alot of money for treatments and its a treat and a chance to relax, not listen to children scream and cry. again i dont mean to offend anyone, just my point of view

I totally agree with you. It clearly states on my website, no children in my therapy room, apart from the health & safety & insurance, its very distracting. And another thing I'm not a childminding service.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using SalonGeek

Hi I just wanted to say I agree with you all,but I do treat children I wax my 10 year olds legs and do mono brows etc I don't want her shaving and she is quite dark and someone at school mentioned her hairy legs ! I think it is important to get them early I sat her down and explained the pros and cons to her But she was great ,she reads a book or mag to take her mind off the pain! Bless! its hell for me but i hope she will always wax and never shave.

Hi Guys,

Guild News are producing an opinion feature on 'Children in the Salon' and would love comments, quotes and advice from salon owners and therapists.

Here are the guide questions -

:?: Should children be allowed in a salon whilst their parents have treatments?

:?: Should children be allowed in a salon to have treatments themselves?

:?: How can this impact on treatments and other clients?

:?: What age is acceptable for children to be allowed in the salon?

:?: Should there be a code of conduct for bringing children into a salon?

:?: Suggestions for coping with children in a salon - E.g - Having a designated children's area or special appointment times when clients are allowed to bring children.

If anyone could offer some guidance on this issue, or would like to give their views please comment below or email me directly at [email protected].

Thanks!! :)

Abbi x
I own a salon, I dont allow Children in. As much as it would be easier for clients with children and maybe i lose a small amount of customers due to the rule, not everyone likes/loves children, I love my own ! but a treatment - any treatment i personally feel is to 'get away from it all'. Other clients are coming to relax even if it is just a manicure, they are paying for a treat! I do have customers who disapprove to this rule but 80% agree to it.

I bring my son everyday ....he is well behaved...but we have a play room in between clients i go in and play w/ him or my clients kids make for great company

Sounds like my boy... X

I'm on my own, and I don't mind if a clients child sits beside them on a chair while I shellac them. As long as they as they arent touching my stuff, it's fine.

Latest posts

Back