Children in the Salon - Your views wanted!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should children be allowed in salons?

• Yes

Votes: 60 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 193 76.3%

• Total voters
NO KIDS. I am not a babysitter, and neither are my business partners. Its very rude to bring children and, cough cough, let them RUN AROUND without supervision. We are a business, not a playground. I love my kid, but I don't let him into my workplace. I personally hold a strict no children stance (w/sign posted) Our clients are here for them to relax, not hear screaming, or whining. I'm sure I sound rude, but would you like to get your hair/nails done at Chuckee Cheese's? Didn't think so!

I'm on my own, and I don't mind if a clients child sits beside them on a chair while I shellac them. As long as they as they arent touching my stuff, it's fine.

Agreed

NO KIDS. I am not a babysitter, and neither are my business partners. Its very rude to bring children and, cough cough, let them RUN AROUND without supervision. We are a business, not a playground. I love my kid, but I don't let him into my workplace. I personally hold a strict no children stance (w/sign posted) Our clients are here for them to relax, not hear screaming, or whining. I'm sure I sound rude, but would you like to get your hair/nails done at Chuckee Cheese's? Didn't think so!

Not changed opinion from my much earlier reply though I had to add;

Any parent that just let's their kid run round unsupervised needs a beating anyway!

Not having a sitter last week, I had to take my son to acupuncture with me and he sat, strapped into his buggy and did colouring in while I was being treated. I didn't just 'let him loose' cos I'm a better parent than that and deal with the responsibility.

I hate it when I see kids running riot anywhere, but who's to blame? I blame the mum's that are too busy watching re-runs of Tricia while chain smoking instead of looking after their child properly.

H x

I think its down to the parent to know their child,my mum had four of us and after an awful experience with a babysitter she had to take us everywhere but we knew how to behave and we sat quiet!my sons only 10 month so i wouldnt take him yet but once hes at an age where i know hel sit quiet with a ds i dont see a prob x

Sent from my X10i

I think its down to the parent to know their child,my mum had four of us and after an awful experience with a babysitter she had to take us everywhere but we knew how to behave and we sat quiet!my sons only 10 month so i wouldnt take him yet but once hes at an age where i know hel sit quiet with a ds i dont see a prob x

Sent from my X10i

I think you'd find it's down to the salon owner, children are not welcome in mine, under 12 , well behaved or not.

Last edited:
I do mobile tans so Kids present there I don't have much say over bit I also tan in a little room at home and sometimes parents bring kids with them . Now the good ones I don't mind I have lots that sit perfectly still v well behaved however there is 1 girl I dread coming :( child only 4 or 5 and she is dreadful , very naughty like you wouldn't believe actually , she once punched me because I refused to let her tan her mum ! she pulls the hose on the machine while I'm tanning , she has squirted water at me before too ! Also demands sweets and when I say I have none she says Yes you do you have a little boy !!!! aggghhhh I'm tempted to just ban her & mum not worth the hassle ;( xxx

No no no no no! Love them - but not in a salon. If a salon had children in there whilst i went in for a treatment - i would go somewhere else. Sorry but i work hard and wouldnt want my treatment to be interupted with a screaming, crying (or both) child... Imagine getting a lovely massage and hearing a child cry...sorry but no.. x

This is an interesting one for me. I'm currently in very very very early stages of a business plan (well more like learning about business studies in order to start a business plan) to open a salon. This is one of my "selling" points I'm having ideas about. One part of me (pre having my toddler) would have been on the no no no bandwagon but now I have a toddler and another on the way I am leaning the other side. I have ideas along the lines of either a couple of days or set hours during the day where children of any age will be happily welcomed into the salon. Obviously all people booking would be advised that these are our child friendly hours/days. I'm not sure of the ins adn outs of how this would work I.E are my rooms going to be big enough, can I use collaspable pens in each room for crawling babies to stay, is there space for buggys, chairs for older kids, a few toys/books to entertain that can be hiden on non-child days/hours.

I'd like to use a child friendly salon as a selling point but I need to work out a few ways of being able to achieve this. Empahsis will be put on that salon staff are in no way childminders and every child in the salon must be watched by the parent. Maybe implimenting a points system for badly behaved children - eg if they disrupt/delay treatment so the therapist is unable to safely carry out her work then its a 3 strikes and you're out kinda thing.
Like I said, I'm not sure how it would or if it even could work though.

This is an interesting one for me. I'm currently in very very very early stages of a business plan (well more like learning about business studies in order to start a business plan) to open a salon. This is one of my "selling" points I'm having ideas about. One part of me (pre having my toddler) would have been on the no no no bandwagon but now I have a toddler and another on the way I am leaning the other side. I have ideas along the lines of either a couple of days or set hours during the day where children of any age will be happily welcomed into the salon. Obviously all people booking would be advised that these are our child friendly hours/days. I'm not sure of the ins adn outs of how this would work I.E are my rooms going to be big enough, can I use collaspable pens in each room for crawling babies to stay, is there space for buggys, chairs for older kids, a few toys/books to entertain that can be hiden on non-child days/hours.

I'd like to use a child friendly salon as a selling point but I need to work out a few ways of being able to achieve this. Empahsis will be put on that salon staff are in no way childminders and every child in the salon must be watched by the parent. Maybe implimenting a points system for badly behaved children - eg if they disrupt/delay treatment so the therapist is unable to safely carry out her work then its a 3 strikes and you're out kinda thing.
Like I said, I'm not sure how it would or if it even could work though.

It's great to have ideas, especially when researching a new venture but I just wanted to throw in that my insurance company advised me that children are not covered in a salon so if you want to be child friendly it will be at your own risk so bubble wrap everything!

It's great to have ideas, especially when researching a new venture but I just wanted to throw in that my insurance company advised me that children are not covered in a salon so if you want to be child friendly it will be at your own risk so bubble wrap everything!

Thank you! I did wonder this! I'll need to research some additional insurance to cover having children in the salon if I decided to go ahead with it!

I don't mind if the child is well behaved but at the last salon I worked we had a lady that brought her 2 1/2 yr old in, she was fine for while when mums nails were being done then her mum went to pay and with in a minute of her mums back turned she was nearly on the desk trying to grab the acrylic liquid, luckily we caught her just in time! But it's more a health and safety thing there are to many hazards for a young child to be messing around with, and unfortunately some parents just don't care what their kids trash!

I am a professional cosemtologist not a damn babysitter

We have notices up in our salon that state children MUST sit on our window seat if they arent having their hair done but to be honest unless the kids are in for cuts i try and discourage clients from bringing them in.I always say "you deserve a relaxing treat which is impossible if your worrying what the kids are up to at the same time!!"Normally works.
Our saturdays used to be manic with kids which was a nitemare but ive since put a rule in that late nights and saturdays arent viable with kids haircuts!
I have 3 of my own and would hate it if i had them in a salon with me!
x

I have a home salon and the room is at the top of the stairs so children are a no no. Having said that I did consider offering for mums to come together while one has a treatment or hair the other mum can child mind in the conservatory. I would have to keep it locked though as we have a pond. Insurance is another matter to consider of course.

seems everyone would probably disagree with me but this is just my opinion and it works great for me and my clients, I welcome my clients to bring their children, I have a play room for them, and I am very patient whilst doing treatments if they need to see to them, obviously my clients having long treatments it isnt possible, for their mine or childs safety and they can come when childcare is arranged, I am a working mom my husband works long hours and its bloody hard for some women, but im very busy because of it, when I go for my pedicures or manicures my daughter comes with me to the salon, they have no problem with it if I couldnt take her I wouldnt go as when shes in nursey I work x

I should probably add to this I have a self built treatment room added onto my house, so I know it doesnt directly link to the question, but I like to think clients use common sense & wouldnt bring their children along to a facial or eyelash extensions but a gelish manicure or quick eyebrow wax.... anything to make a mothers life that bit easier x

Last edited:
I would normally say no but lately when i tell clients the following they seem to never bring their child with them or back again....

Client: "oh i have to bring my kid(s), is this ok?"
Me: "Sure but only if they are able to sit QUIETLY in a corner for the whole appointment time. This means no getting up to see what mommy is doing and no touching my things, this could be dangerous. If your child comes with but cannot sit quietly please be prepared to leave, even if your in the middle of a leg wax and half the leg is done, i will ask you to leave."
Client: "oh!hmmm......ok i'll find someone to watch him/her/them"
Me: "perfect, that would be best"

It would be the same response if they didn't tell me their bringing a child with them and just showed up. what i tell them is straight to the point but effective, i don't want to turn mother's away who's kids are perfectly behaved but if the kids(s) are sh*ts then out with the whole lot of you :p my time and especially my equipment is expensive, people fail to realize that when booking an appointment. if their kid breaks something i seriously doubt tat their going to offer to pay for it to be fixed/replaced or heaven forbid the kid hurts themselves, it will be my butt on the line and a phone call to the insurance because it will obviously my fault they got hurt.

A little warning goes a long way ;)

Latest posts

Back