Client allergic to acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eponeez

Reaction score
:idea: Hi - One of my clients is having trouble with her nail beds lifting - ugh! I have never seen this before with anyone (I have been a nail tech for about 10 years now- but this is new to me) Any ideas on a product (other than creative nail acrylic) that might be less likely to cause an allergic reaction? Possibly CN Brisa gels? or Wraps? Any suggestions?? Thank you

Brisa is hypoallergenic and very unlikely to cause or aggrivate an existing allergy.

However always do a test to see if they are reacting.
Onycholysis - nail plate lifting can be caused by a lot of things not just allergy.
Allergy to a product will most likely present itself as:
Itchy irritation, rash, swelling, puffiness, blisters.

HTH

Envy said:
Brisa is hypoallergenic and very unlikely to cause or aggrivate an existing allergy.

However always do a test to see if they are reacting.
Onycholysis - nail plate lifting can be caused by a lot of things not just allergy.
Allergy to a product will most likely present itself as:
Itchy irritation, rash, swelling, puffiness, blisters.

HTH

hiya xx

why would you do a test..? i was told that this would prove nothing and isn't necessary. may be wrong. xx

here is a link about testing...http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/6740-patch-tests.html?highlight=patch+test also http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/2709-patch-testing.html?highlight=patch+test

Good point Angie!

I don't mean do a patch test - (just to clarify)
What I'm suggesting is to try using the gel as per proper application techniques. But possibly on only one nail. Then observe over next few days.

But I am more concerned in this case with the plate lifting. If it is extensive, I wouldn't want to put any overlay on, as added length may exaggerate the problem!

it's not the 'acrylic' she's allergic too but something in it, it's normally one ingredient as opposed to the whole thing.

one of the terms of my insurance certificate states;

"Nail Extensions - The Insured must check that the client is not allergic to acrylics plastics pior to applying false nails or nails extensions"

doesnt specify how to check. ie, patch test. seems a bit in the dark ages to be honest :irked:

Wraps are supposed to be lowest on the allergy list but are you sure its the liquid and powder adn not the adhesive, if this is the case try sculpting the tips on as whatever system you are using if i is the resin then they will lift with tips
HTH

scattyfox said:
Wraps are supposed to be lowest on the allergy list but are you sure its the liquid and powder adn not the adhesive, if this is the case try sculpting the tips on as whatever system you are using if i is the resin then they will lift with tips
HTH

this could be the case - i posted here a while ago cos I was getting lifting and couldnt wear enhancements.... got replies and one of them was that i could be reacting to adhesive... tried just sculpting and they are fine.
Try this.
As for the insurance saying to check clients are not allergic... the only way is to ask them if they have ever had a reaction to any nail products before... if they answer no, then it is safe to go ahead. You then work smartly to try not to overexpose as normal.
hth

if you get the client to sign to say they are not aware of any allergies, i think this covers it from an insurance point of view.

are you sure she's allergic? is she itchy or red, because those are usually the first signs. if she hasn't got any other symptoms it could be down to her abusing her enhancements or some other reason.

Latest posts

Back