Client didn't want cuticle care

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirsten32889

Reaction score
Hiya, i'm brand new to this industry! A couple of weeks ago I completed my CND Shellac Beginners course. I've been struggling with my confidence so have just been charging to cover the cost of the products on family & friends even though my sister & my own nails have lasted the 2 weeks.

Last night I was doing my first 'actual client' (still just charging to cover the cost) she asked for her hand and toes done but requested NO cuticle work to be done. She didn't even want her nails filed. I explained to her that it needed to be done first but she still didn't want it. I carried on and still did the procedure (I now know I shouldn't).

I don't expect these to last very long because of it and I did let her know that. Shes a guest at a wedding on Saturday, do you expect these to last till then? Should I warn her again just incase?

Some clients are very particular about what they do and don't want, all we can do is give them our professional opinion and advice, which you did. You warned her they may not last as long so you did all you could. Her choice!

There are many salons that cut corners when it comes to shellac, she may have had a bad experience when they forced the cuticles back roughly and hurt her, or worse still used a electric file to file it off! If thats what she really wants then at the end of the day it is her choice , but I hope you still charged her full price and that this isn't her way of getting a cheaper deal out of you :)

Try to coax her around gently and make a comment of how cuticle away is a brilliant product that makes your life so much easier because the dead skin is softened so much it just wipes away etc ;) Show her your own cuticles and explain how she will get a better finish with a cuticle work … if all of that doesn't work, then just do it what ever way she wants , she's a paying customer so you have to respect her choices too :)

Just a thought.......

One of my closest friends who I give occasional manis to also has an issue. She cannot stand files and never has, if I have to file my own nails I have to leave the room. I have to hide files from her so she can't see them. She is very sensitive and on a lot of meds and they freak her out for some reason! Sometimes we'll be out and I'll be rummaging in my bag and if she catches sight of one as I'm rummaging she gets squiffy! I have done proper cuticle work on her once and she didn't get on with that either, she doesn't like the metal scraping, even though she understands the purpose. Now I will generally just do the massage (her fave thing ever), squeak and polish. She attempts to nibble them into shape for me before she comes lol! I did a lux pedi for her recently and did the cuticle work (I really had to) with just an orange stick, which she managed with. I had to use clippers to shape and no file! We made it work. I talk her through every bit of the service and check with her - occasionally she will let me smooth the free edge with a soft buffer.

Amazingly, I still manage to get everything looking nice! and she's always happy. She'd never ever consider a mani or pedi before me because of the files etc, but now she loves it because I work with her.

My point is- it could actually be more of a mental thing than her thinking you'll trash her cuticle area. For me personally, I've never let anyone file my natural nails. I've always done them how I like them and didn't want anyone changing it. Kindly ask her why she'd rather you didn't do cuticle work, explaining the benefits. See if she'd let you do it with just an orange stick to begin with possibly. x

Latest posts

Back