Clients cancelling at last minute or not coming to appointments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsTwosh

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I'm very new to this industry only starting in February and have a home run treatment room.

I'm just looking for some feedback with regards to last minute appointment cancellations and clients just not turning up. I may be completely wrong but sometimes get the feeling clients think this is ok as I'm 'at home' rather than in a salon. So just wondered what you geeks thought regards this or is it just something I need to except and get on with.

Also should I be charging for no shows and late cancellations? I have a client who has cancelled twice an hour before both appointments! If she tries to rebook should I ask for money up front when booking or 50% deposit?

I just don't want to scare clients off by charging no shows/late cancellations as I'm stilling trying to get my client list built up but I also don't want to have clients thinking they can mess me about 😐.

Hope this makes some sense!

Thank you in advance for you advice xxx

At the salon I have worked at they did a 3 strikes rule, they had it printed at the bottom of their price list that cancellations must give at least 6 hours notice, if they don't show or cancel out of the notice more than 3 times they will be charged 50% of the treatment they were booked in for.

It's totally unfair and very frustrating, but I can see how you don't want to scare your clients however you need to be firm, u will only loose clients that are abusing your services anyway, the clients will keep coming regularly because you are a good therapist and those are your loyal ones. Be confident and don't feel scared to say something (keep proffessional) :) xxx

Thank you! Your right I need to be firm with them. The 3 strike rule is a good idea too 😀 xxx

I had the same problem as you at the start, still happens now and im sure it's sonething that will kerp happening unfortunately! What I have learnt is when a client doesnt show or cancels last minute, they will more than likely do it again. This has happened with about 3 clients 3 or 4 times each,very frustrating :(

I also run a home treatment room.

In two years iv probably had 10 client cancellations/no shows. I personally think it's down to where and how you advertise.

Gumtree and those other cheap selling pages bring you cheap unreliable clients. I think you can also tell if clients are going to flake.

I confirm all appointments the day before. I have one client that has come to me from someone else for an infill then cancelled twice. Iv seen via Instagram she has had her nails done elsewhere. If she wants to rebook again il ask her to pay.

I think asking for a deposit will steer clients away. You pay a deposit for a house not a beauty treatment in my opinion. I wouldn't book somewhere if they needed a deposit. How do you know what could creep up? I have to reschedule all the time but I knew if I cancelled a beauty appt. I couldn't keep doing that.

Do you have a lot of repeat customers? Xx

I also run a home treatment room.

In two years iv probably had 10 client cancellations/no shows. I personally think it's down to where and how you advertise.

Gumtree and those other cheap selling pages bring you cheap unreliable clients. I think you can also tell if clients are going to flake.

I confirm all appointments the day before. I have one client that has come to me from someone else for an infill then cancelled twice. Iv seen via Instagram she has had her nails done elsewhere. If she wants to rebook again il ask her to pay.

I think asking for a deposit will steer clients away. You pay a deposit for a house not a beauty treatment in my opinion. I wouldn't book somewhere if they needed a deposit. How do you know what could creep up? I have to reschedule all the time but I knew if I cancelled a beauty appt. I couldn't keep doing that.

Do you have a lot of repeat customers? Xx

Thank you. I completely see what you mean about deposit & advertising on gumtree! Will steer clear.

Nearly all my custom is repeat, it's only 2 I've started to have a problem with. I think it would be good to start sending a reminder text the day before.

I'm going through Lynne Baker's thread on advertising to try & get new customers xxx

Instagram, twitter & Facebook are the best advertisements. Take pictures of everything you do they sell themselves! Iv had 6 new customers that have all rebooked within the past 4 weeks from one person seeing a photo on Instagram....speaks for itself xxx

If my clients cancel with less than 24hrs notice they have to pay a 50% deposit to secure their next appointment.
I've got a few ladies who always used to be no shows and now they never cancel and they haven't moaned once about paying a deposit.
I've found it's not put anyone off.
Asking clients to pay a cancellation fee doesn't work, they'll just avoid you to get out of paying and then you'll loose them permanently.
Make sure clients know your policy.
Stick with it!
If clients think its unfair to pay a deposit and are happy to keep cancelling then to be honest you don't want those types! X

Interesting topic, I've been mobile for a few years and only had a few cancellations last minute.
I'm curious if anyone has actually made a client pay 50% fee for not turning up?
I just don't see how you could make someone pay?! As far as I see it, we are in that kind of job and it's frustrating and annoying when people cancel last minute, but it's kind of a hazard of the job.
As Lauren mentions, texting or calling a client the day before is good practise, and gives people a little reminder.

I've actually turned up at someone's house before at 10am for her to open the door and sat 'ohh.. Don't really feel like getting my hair done now.' She was a client who booked night before and I squeezed her in, she lived 30 mins from me, I was FUMING!
Luckily my next clients were nearby and I was able to go round early :)

If my clients cancel with less than 24hrs notice they have to pay a 50% deposit to secure their next appointment.
I've got a few ladies who always used to be no shows and now they never cancel and they haven't moaned once about paying a deposit.
I've found it's not put anyone off.
Asking clients to pay a cancellation fee doesn't work, they'll just avoid you to get out of paying and then you'll loose them permanently.
Make sure clients know your policy.
Stick with it!
If clients think its unfair to pay a deposit and are happy to keep cancelling then to be honest you don't want those types! X

Love this idea, thank you!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've actually turned up at someone's house before at 10am for her to open the door and sat 'ohh.. Don't really feel like getting my hair done now.' She was a client who booked night before and I squeezed her in, she lived 30 mins from me, I was FUMING!
Luckily my next clients were nearby and I was able to go round early :)

Oh no what a horrible thing to do, I would have flipped out right on her door step and demanded she have her hair done! Lol

I remember when I was doing my level 2 at college I booked a client who I needed for assessment on the last week of college and she cancelled last minute! And because it was for a colour service I couldn't just find someone else as they needed a skin test done before.... Sooo annoying and I was so stressed because of it. Aaah! Since then I've always confirmed it the night before via text etc and it's never happened since thank god

Latest posts

Back