Clients who turn up with kids, dogs, family, etc.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathi44

Bliss
Reaction score
I have a home salon and have, in the past had a few clients turn up with kids etc in tow (and occasionally husbands!) I always make it clear at that point that I can't accommodate 'extra' people and, in the case of kids, cite my insurance policy. However, today I had a (new) client turn up (15 minutes late) with her baby & her Aunt (?!) in tow. My salon consists of one room which is more than adequate for me & one client, but not for 3 or more. And certainly not for a massive buggy! To make it worse she was booked in for a Brazilian. So... Aunt, baby & buggy had to wait in my lounge (luckily my partner is away at the moment or I don't know what I'd have done!) So not comfortable leaving a random stranger in my lounge with access to the rest of the house! I guess this is just part & parcel of a home salon but it REALLY annoys me that people don't check first..... ie. out of courtesy, ask in advance "Is it Ok if I bring half my family with me to my Brazilian wax appointment?" Still doesn't top my worst of a client bringing her husband with her, who sat himself down on our sofa with my partner and whipped out his own 4-pack of lager (and didn't offer one to my OH ! Ha) ;) Rant over. Is this just me ?!?

Hi,
Yes, I work at home like yourself. I have been stuck like that also and its really annoying the way clients think it'll be ok to just sit in your front room as if it is part of the salon.
If they bring a kid, I make the kid stay in the treatment room as it annoys the client as much as me. They usually don't bring them again.

Most times when it happens it is 2 female friends or husband & wife which is ok in my salon room but its really annoying when they insist on being out of the room while their friend is being done....If it happens on an evening session when my hubby is home I will have to stick them in the back porch with the wellies and shoe racks...;)

My insurance states that clients can't be left unattended or I'm not covered so if anyone extra turns up I just say no.

It's difficult when you're put on the spot so maybe put a note on your website?

Hi,
Yes, I work at home like yourself. I have been stuck like that also and its really annoying the way clients think it'll be ok to just sit in your front room as if it is part of the salon.
If they bring a kid, I make the kid stay in the treatment room as it annoys the client as much as me. They usually don't bring them again.

Most times when it happens it is 2 female friends or husband & wife which is ok in my salon room but its really annoying when they insist on being out of the room while their friend is being done....If it happens on an evening session when my hubby is home I will have to stick them in the back porch with the wellies and shoe racks...;)

Hahaha! That's what bugs me.... even if I was a high street salon I still wouldn't have unlimited room for 'hangers on' and children to sit about. And why would they want to?!! I need to build a back porch & fill it with wellies! Haha. ;)

Reduck.... I'm definitely going to put a (BIG!) notice on my FB & web page (along with all my other 'Rules' ! ;) ) I stupidly thought it was common sense but obviously not. x

I state on my website "I don't have a waiting area so I can't allow you to bring your children/friend/husband along to your appointment".

On the rare occasion someone does bring another person along I just point blank refuse to allow them in and tell them they'll need to wait in their car or walk up to town and get a coffee and wait there.

There's no way I'd have anyone waiting in my lounge - apart from anything else, if they robbed you blind you wouldn't be insured.

We have a lady who randomly brings kids in (not my client, mine ask if they can bring them) and the other day her hubby came too, he got really pissed off waiting for her & they had a huge row in the shop :rolleyes: hehe

I have had this even though I clearly state that due to insurance I couldn't have extra people in my home.

The straw that broke the camels back for me is when a client turned up with 7 random friends and a mother in tow to 'paid a bridal trial deposit' and put my foot down and made it quite clear (very professionally I may add) that she was told of my policy and that I would not be able to admit her entourage and minders.

She push past me and stormed in my home sat on my sofa and demanded I gave her a presentation on my work, even though she had seen my complete portfolio online and she just want to hand the trial money over.

we had just moved it and we were still unpacking and even thing was in storage and she was aware I could not have her in my home at this point due to us unpacking.

I made it quite clear how uncomfortable she was making me, still not willing to move, she then asked who the person was in the picture in the police uniform.

It's ME I said, I'm an ex cooper! (Which I am)

With that she decided it was better if she left.

I sent her text straight after say I think it's better you find someone else for your wedding.

Last edited:
I have a home salon and have, in the past had a few clients turn up with kids etc in tow (and occasionally husbands!) I always make it clear at that point that I can't accommodate 'extra' people and, in the case of kids, cite my insurance policy. However, today I had a (new) client turn up (15 minutes late) with her baby & her Aunt (?!) in tow. My salon consists of one room which is more than adequate for me & one client, but not for 3 or more. And certainly not for a massive buggy! To make it worse she was booked in for a Brazilian. So... Aunt, baby & buggy had to wait in my lounge (luckily my partner is away at the moment or I don't know what I'd have done!) So not comfortable leaving a random stranger in my lounge with access to the rest of the house! I guess this is just part & parcel of a home salon but it REALLY annoys me that people don't check first..... ie. out of courtesy, ask in advance "Is it Ok if I bring half my family with me to my Brazilian wax appointment?" Still doesn't top my worst of a client bringing her husband with her, who sat himself down on our sofa with my partner and whipped out his own 4-pack of lager (and didn't offer one to my OH ! Ha) ;) Rant over. Is this just me ?!?

I think in these cases it pays to direct, but professional as some people are very thick skinned and can't take a hint.

I have turned people away if the turn up with loads of people when I have clearly said I can't not accomadate them. My salon, my home, my rules!

Hi,

I thought this only happened to me [emoji23].

Even though I do hair I have a small Cabin out the back of our house all my clients know that it's just enough for me my client and one waiting ... But oh no they insist on bringing all there kids 3 of them plus a carry seat.. One of them actually hid behind me and went to the loo !!! In my tiny cabin !!![emoji37][emoji37][emoji37]

I do try and put these clients off ..

I'm sure the clients would much rather have the treatments stress free on their own anyway but don't always have the luxury of someone else being able to look after them. So I for one respect that and accommodate in my salon as much as I can for them. It's not always about us. Just remember back if you've ever been in that situation, and if you haven't your very lucky [emoji173]️ x

I'm sure the clients would much rather have the treatments stress free on their own anyway but don't always have the luxury of someone else being able to look after them. So I for one respect that and accommodate in my salon as much as I can for them. It's not always about us. Just remember back if you've ever been in that situation, and if you haven't your very lucky [emoji173]️ x

I haven't been in that situation as I don't have kids, BUT..... if I did, I would certainly phone or text in advance and ask if it's Ok for me to bring my kids. No way would I ever just turn up with kids (or anyone!) in tow unannounced. I'm sure your clients love you for being so accommodating Missbexxy :) x

I have a lady who always brings her child with her who in return kindly trashes my house and also opens my fridge door. The mother finds if funny and I've had to get up a few times to tell him off. Just awful. And I had a regular client who was very loyal but she has a toddler who loved to eat and she would forever be shoving food in his mouth to keep him quiet and he would run about touching my white walls with chocolate fingers and just made so much mess. I've had to slowly cut her out. I just don't need it tbh. I'm sat there trying to concentrate wondering what the child is up to now!

In my experience I have sadly found that the sort of person who turns up with large amount of children/family members are usually slightly feckless when it comes to thinking of anyone other than themselves. The vast majority of clients look forward to a treatment as a means to relax and escape the demands of everyday life and this is thankfully representative of my clients. I am always amazed at the lack of concern mothers have for their children, I recently had a client bring in a very small baby whom I informed that we were unable to get pushchairs in the treatment rooms and she demanded that my receptionist looked after the baby, I initially informed her that my staff were not CRB checked and to add to her clear anger and disgust, I further stated that should the very worst happen, and that should for instance, someone come into the business with the intention of robbery or some other such crime, I cannot ensure the safety of her child or expect a member of staff to sacrifice her personal safety. This may be a worse case scenario but women who are prepared to leave their children in a vulnerable situation just for the sake of their own pleasure deserve to be told.

For home salons I might suggest that you inform clients that there is a myriad of dangerous implements that could be harmful to their child upon your premises and that you do not wish to place their child in harms way. Hopefully guilt will give them some modicum of sense that their child's safety is rather more important than their personal beauty requirements. If they are not prepared to see sense, do you really want someone with that sort of attitude as a client, it's not safe or healthy.

I have a lady who always brings her child with her who in return kindly trashes my house and also opens my fridge door. The mother finds if funny and I've had to get up a few times to tell him off. Just awful. And I had a regular client who was very loyal but she has a toddler who loved to eat and she would forever be shoving food in his mouth to keep him quiet and he would run about touching my white walls with chocolate fingers and just made so much mess. I've had to slowly cut her out. I just don't need it tbh. I'm sat there trying to concentrate wondering what the child is up to now!
Totally agree !! Your just waiting for him/her to fall and hurt its self and it totally puts you off !!

My confirmation email and my website says that there's no waiting area and I'm not insured for children to be in the salon. I did this after a lady brought twin babies for a Brazilian and they cried the whole time!

Totally agree !! Your just waiting for him/her to fall and hurt its self and it totally puts you off !!

It's horrible. I end up really angry at myself when they leave promising myself not to put myself through it again. But then they want to return for more treatment and I feel mean the one with the toddler I've stood my ground I Haven't seen her for a while. It's hard as I do understand some women have no childcare they are single parents and really struggle with childcare but if the child was behaved then I may be less harsh but they don't! They are down right rude and very undisciplined.

My business is slightly different as I'm mainly sticking needles in people, but I've had kids, hangers on etc turn up. I've got tough and if the hangers on are adults, I let them in through the front door and then tell them I might be able to accommodate them in the treatment room...but it will be a squeeze, or just a 2 min drive from me is a supermarket and other shops including a nice coffee shop. They could have a nice cuppa and come back in 45mins.
I once had a 2 year old, open all the cupboard doors, try and grab acupuncture stuff, pull cables etc. Fair to say the mother was mortified and stopped bringing him. That was the decider for me!

In a salon I worked in a clients young child got its long hair twisted up in the wax pot because she was 'just looking'......the young girl soon had a lovely new bob as a result of her curiosity.

Prior to having a baby I had no tolerance for kids in the salon, or kids in general TBH!!Lol! Now I have a toddler and no one to help with childcare I do appreciate how difficult it is for parents. I do think this is where mobile beauty really helps though, or small salons like mine where there are not others trying to have a nice peaceful treatment while someone's kids run riot. It does make my job slightly more difficult however I suppose this has become a niche for me because I am patient and tolerant towards these situations. It would be lovely if parents could police their childrens behaviour more but unfortunately this is just wishful thinking. I am more accommodating these days, especially with children but I draw the line at more adults joining them, there is no need!

I worked in a shopping centre salon ..... The constant flow of people the screaming children, the shopping trolleys, prams, and the mothers who let their kids run riot in the retail area and say thinks like "lets play a game of find a shampoo bottle thats yellow in colour" meanwhile some little shit re arranges the whole store!!!! Im still undergoing therapy after working there. NEVER AGAIN

Depending on the treatment depends if I can allow any children in the treatment room - years ago I once had a wife pay for her husband a back, neck & shoulder massage to make him being their 5 year old daughter with him! It wasn't relaxing for the poor bloke, the little girl chatted the whole way through (not her fault she was 5!). I didn't mind I just thought what a waste of money and why would the wife do that!?

Latest posts

Back