Cloudy Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
I had a set back the last time I did a rebalance with gel. It was about the 5th or 6th rebalance on my mother in law, and up til now no major probs, very little lifting, did everything the same, but when I started putting on my clear gel I noticed how cloudy the old gel on her nails was. You could see the whole of zone 2 where the old gel was despite the new layer on top... wasn't very nice.

As you can imagaine I was a bit fed up as her nails didn't look very tidy. I then noticed to my horror that her middle finger, the gel had completely come away from the natural nail at the free edge, (Her nails are now an overlay as they have grown) her nails weren't curling away but the gel was no longer in contact so I had to file it off! I ended up having to give up as I was an hour in and having to start all over again. It was a bad day.:irked:

Does anyone know what this is? Was the gel getting old? I know my prep is good because I've had next to know lifting which is a real bonus for me as I was getting lifting all the time when I first started.

Any help would be a life saver right now.....

Mani-fique! said:
I had a set back the last time I did a rebalance with gel. It was about the 5th or 6th rebalance on my mother in law, and up til now no major probs, very little lifting, did everything the same, but when I started putting on my clear gel I noticed how cloudy the old gel on her nails was. You could see the whole of zone 2 where the old gel was despite the new layer on top... wasn't very nice.
Do you always use clear or do you also use the pink... Clear will happily show up anything under it... When I reblance forever french I go straight in with the pink.. then clear to smooth any flaws, etc...

Mani-fique! said:
As you can imagaine I was a bit fed up as her nails didn't look very tidy. I then noticed to my horror that her middle finger, the gel had completely come away from the natural nail at the free edge, (Her nails are now an overlay as they have grown) her nails weren't curling away but the gel was no longer in contact so I had to file it off! I ended up having to give up as I was an hour in and having to start all over again. It was a bad day.:irked:
Two possibilities here:
1) Not capped, many techs cap with the gel (bring down over the free edge) then when they come to refine the free edge they cut back into it, taking the capping right off...
2) Heavy handed abrasive work during the file prep.. I would only safely recomend using a blizzard board to rebalance Brisa - The force may be responsible for loss of adhesion, especially on the free edge where there is nothing to absorb the vibration....

I do use pink yes. But I don't think it would have covered the cloudiness somehow. (Also I've wrecked my pink which is another story lol)

I do cap, infact its one of my horrors that I don't but you never know I may have missed a bit, thing is it wasn't chipping, the whole free edge was lifting away in zone 1.

I can't honestly say whether being heavy handed with filing wasn't the culprit but what puzzled me was that I did nothing different, and the cloudiness was there before I started filing.

I know that cloudiness can be pocket lifting and maybe the free edge separation was a signal to this, but what i don't understand is that it was cloudy right up to the edge of the gel at both the sides and the cuticles and there were no signs of lifting what so ever.

Oh well looks like I may never know what caused it.

Hi Ya

probably not going to be much help as i use bio not brisa but i tend to only infil twice third time soak off and start fresh....as i said you may not need to do this with brisa its just how i do it.

HTH

Ambx

Hey...
Could it be pocket lifting? if it looks cloudy and opaque it may be pocket lifting (usually appears in zone 2).
It occurs when gel shrinks back during curing and lifts away from nail plate and if gel is too thick....only remedy is to buff down and reapply.
HTH

Clare

I contacted the Technical Support Line at Creative yesterday and after discussing the problem it seems, that yes it is pocket lifting. I've not really seen it before so I was quite surprised as it extended to the entirety of the gel not just in a small area. My client has slightly ski slope nails as well so this would add pressure as they are now just an overlay because they have grown. Also if I've applied the gel too thickly (which is possible to counteract the ski slope) then that would cause it as well, I've been advised to work in thinner layers and yes to buff down and reapply which I've been warned will be awkward if they're ski slope!

So it looks like I've resolved the issue, thanks.

Hiya, just reading this thread as i have also got some pocket lifting on 1 nail, my thumb (also use Brisa) now my prep is good, i am very conscious of prepping but i did file my natural nail down my mistake on that finger, i wasn't pay attention and got heavy handed trying to get a mark of my nail. I don't think its just a coincidence that that nail is the only nail to get lifting in the middle of the nail, not tip and not the cuticle so it must be something to do with my nail being thin and poorly. Thing is though i cant bear the thought of buffing it off and doing it again as it hurt when i put the brush on when applying the gel.
do you think i could just leave it on for a while or am i risking getting a nasty under there...?

xxx

Hi Angie....
Yes you are right in saying thin nails are more susceptible to pocket lifting - if your natural nail is very weak and flexible there is more "give" and can peel away and is an unstable foundation for the product.
As you already have the overlay on and dont want to buff it off if it makes it sore, you will be OK to leave it providing the lifted area doesn't spread to the margins or free edge. While the lifting is in its "pocket" no water or germs can get in but if it does spread to the free edge you will be risking getting dirt etc in there and will need to remove it.
Just remember to keep the gel thin (esp on thumbs) and do 2 separate layers if necessary.

HTH
Clare

Latest posts

Back