Comedone Extraction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clairet

Reaction score
I was just wondering how you all remove comedones when performing a facial?

How many of you use a metal comedone extractor, or do you prefer to use the fingers and tissue method?

I've used both, but think the fingers and tissue method is less painful for the client, although my hubby prefers the comedone extractor:lol:!

Just interested in your thoughts.:green:

I've never used the metal one on my clients, tried it on myself and that was enough - OUCHAMUNDO! So i stick with the tissue method. I steam and use the dermalogica Scaling fluid, bit of desincrustation and vacuum suction if needed, and those babies come out so easily ... love it! :green: :eek: :green:

I was never taught how to do extractions at college! and I only learnt how to do them properly when i did my dermalogica training recently! So now i steam and use gloves and tissue. Would have a go at the metal ones but i have no idea how to use it

I use the fingers and tissue method too.

You can also use 2 cotton tips to squeeze.

I use the tissue method as well.

Tissue method for me also. I agree with Sass those extractors are PAINFUL!

I have a lady who comes to me for hair removal and she has tons of commedones just on her cheekbones and each time she comes I ask her if I can sort them out for her but she won't let me (coward)

Tissue method for me also. I agree with Sass those extractors are PAINFUL!

I have a lady who comes to me for hair removal and she has tons of commedones just on her cheekbones and each time she comes I ask her if I can sort them out for her but she won't let me (coward)

I dont give them the choice!! lol.

pardon my ignorance but is this also called melia (dunno the right spelling), like little firm white lumps (almost wartlike under the skin) ?

some people get milia around their eyes and high on their cheek bones. some people have said it is to do with your cholesterol levels, and that they are fatty deposits that get 'trapped' in your skin.

however, comodones can also be found high on the cheekbones, and in some cases closer to the eyes. Comodones are blockages in the sebaceous gland.

Im unsure if milia are an actual blockage of the sebaceous gland or if they can just form 'randomly'.

Comedones are blackheads, Milia are whiteheads.

aaaaaah, white/black (they are quite firm), i had a few removed by my beautician once, quite some time ago, since then i have removed them myself with an instrument (kinda like a dental pick, sterilized of course with a cigarette lighter) it may even be a dental pick, i lance the skin, hook it in and pull that sucker out, sometimes i've even had to kinda dig em out with my little fingernail, they tend to bleed quite freely, but a little square of toilet paper over the top soon fixes that. Next day i use vitamin A ointment (smells like fish) and they heal quite well .I prefer to inflict pain on myself rather than lay screaming like a big girl on a beauty bed.:)

I prefer to inflict pain on myself rather than lay screaming like a big girl on a beauty bed.:)

haha we get screaming girlies almost everyday!! Ur not the only one! :)

although has anyone noticed that men are far more wimpy than women when it comes to pain on the therapist couch?!

has anyone noticed that men are far more wimpy than women when it comes to pain on the therapist couch?!
Lowers voice and says "I am a man luv" :)

oh yeah haha. sorry! :smack:

I actually knew that, but your avatar confuses me!! I think that its you. plus im very forgetful!!

**prays that it is actually a woman in the avatar** lol.

I use the tissue method. I remember at college getting a metal extractor in my kit and to this day have never got it to work !

Tell you what this sounds like complete torture but very satisfying.

I've found that the metal extractors work only on larger 'occasional' blackheads. The don't have the same effect of the more permanent/re-appearing type and over-use can be painful and damaging to the skin.

I remember one particular lady that I wanted to help but during the extraction I felt really sick (they were that bad!) :eek:

the metal extractor i dont like it leaves indentations in the skin i prefer to steam and then use the tissue method

Hi,
I don't work in the beauty industry but have gatecrashed your site for some advice.

I have a lot of blackheads... all over my nose, on my chin, around my lips (right on the crease line) and nothing I do works.
I bought a metal extractor and was not impressed with it (it only worked on huge spots).
Ive tried face washes and every spot cream I could find and nothing.

Is it possible to get rid of them and have clear skin?

What salon treatment should I ask for, and should I be embarrassed about explaining that I have a blackhead problem?

Latest posts

Back