converting my Garage into a beauty Room...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodiealicia10

Reaction score
Hi, this is my 1st post!
I am in the process of converting my garage into a beauty room, I currently rent a room in a hair salon round the corner from where I live, I have been there for 2 years so i have built up a good clientele but want to save on the rent now, I was just wondering if you have any ideas or helpful info for when I am ready to start which will be in about 3 weeks!!

Any decorating ideas will be useful as well.

xx :)

Good for you...you wont look back once you've done it.
Designs..well very personal...maybe contemporary would be refreshing :hug:

Insulate the walls! Most garages are single skin walls (i.e. no cavity) and therefore get very cold and unless you have central heating installed your electric heater will send your consumption through the roof - as I discovered (our last electricity bill was £600.00 for a quater - husband very crazed & demonic at the moment!). I am now having my room re-done to include said insulation at a massive cost as all the skirting, coving, picture rail etc. has to be removed then re-done! Big screw up by moi but hey hoooo!

On the plus side though it's the best thing I ever did as if I have no clients in one afternoon I may not earn any money but at least it does not cost me anything (or won't do when I've had the insulation done!)

Good luck & keep us posted with your progress. x

Hi there- there is a similar (ish) thread going on in Biz Geek about using a cabin in the garden- the same issues apply as to discussions with the Council about change of use of your garage to ensure it is legally compliant from a planning perspective....

If you are undertaking internal alterations you might also have to consider Building Regulation consent. Have a chat with your Council's planning and building control departments- always good to have them on side!

And finally, consider your insurance- if something went wrong and your house got destroyed or damaged you run the risk that your house insurer may not pay out because you were running a business from your residential premises.

I've visited several salons run from cabins/spare bedrooms etc and these are my thoughts.

Consider all segments of your potential client base. By that I mean what suits a teenage market will not suit the more mature ladies, so play safe and choose a calm, neutral colour scheme. My walls are pure white which you might think would make the room cold and clinical. Not a bit of it! The floor is polished (real) wood in a rich chestnut colour, and that, combined with the colours of the products on show, ensures that the room is tranquil but not icy.

Consider the lighting, for both you AND your client. I have a daylight fluorescent fitting (sounds horrid, but isn't!) so that I can see what I'm doing (somehow I don't think a head torch would go down well during a Brazilian), but I also have a little desk lamp so that I can turn off the big light during a massage or a facial and have a bit of atmosphere.

As tempting as it is to have snowy white towels they are hugely impractical and will swiftly become battleship grey. My towels are chocolate brown - I do a lot of manually applied Fake Bakes, and they complement the floor perfectly.

Consider music. Your very favourite choons might be Marilyn Manson or Take That (perish the thought) but it's not there for your benefit; it's there for your client to be able to relax and drift away. For that reason I choose only instrumental music, so that clients are not tempted to sing along. It doesn't have to be classical music; I have some lovely ambient music by BlueTech.

Consider the temperature - you don't want it too hot or too cold. I have a heated couch which has proved a true winner with my clients. If you're lying still for any length of time you'll get cold very quickly, which makes it difficult to relax.

Your salon needs to look professional - not like a spare room with the guest bed shoved up to one end and a pasting table in the middle. It should look warm and inviting, aspirational but not opulent, but most of all it must be spotlessly clean!

Have fun choosing your decor - put yourself in the place of your client and you won't go far wrong!

thank you all for your advice, I am opting for under floor heating as its not a huge room and it would of cost more to dig up for pipes etc, I am going with a creamy colour and will dress the room with candles, products, towels and general stuff.

Does anyone know about business rates?

Latest posts

Back