Converting summer house to nail salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynseypinsy

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just looking for some advice please! Have searched through the forum but still need some more answers more specific to my needs!

I would like to work as a nail tech (fully qualified btw), from home in a Summer House (12X8) which, hopefully will be converted, to be very comfortable and un-summer house like!

Has anyone else done this, is it even possible and what do I need to take into consideration?

All advice welcome!!

Lyns x

What answers specific to your needs would you like to know?

I know you've done a search but there really is an awful lot of information regarding summerhouse conversions on here.

You should inform your local council that you will be working from home (if you aren't already) and I think it depends on whether you are going to have toilet facilities and/or some kind of plumbing to it as to whether you'll need planning.

Hope this helps a bit??

Thanks, any reply helps!

I will be contacting the council, its all in the early stages at the mo. I guess I'm hoping someone else out there will have done the same thing and will tell me all the pitfalls (or not!!)

I don't think there are many pitfalls at all for this kind of thing (only the initial outlay!) I'd love to have a dedicated summerhouse for my beauty but I don't have the funds (at the moment anyway ;))

If you speak to the council they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Xx

Thanks, I will get in touch with the council today. Its very exciting! The prospect on not having to lug everything about with me is definately appealing!! x

hi there,
i spoke to council about converting an outhouse in my garden,
she said about planning permision needed, inspection, maybe buisness rates, the list was endless!!
makes you think they might give you some leway on these types of things as you prepared to work from home, enviroment, fuels etc, but hey ho.
i would def give them a call, so much to think about, but if ya gonna be using for while and ya gonna get busy suppose it worth all of this kerfuffle!
good luck x:)

Hi,
There are indeed loads of posts on here from people who have or are about to convert summer houses, lofts, cellars, and garages into their home salons. I know of a guy in Malvern Who has done this for his massage business. He has it fully insulated, underfloor heating, small combi boiler, Loo & power shower, several extractor fans, several sinks 1 in the wet room for clients, 1 to publicly wash his hands (showing good practice) and a small kitchen sink & drainer for washing equipment and making tea coffee hot chocolate etc. there is also has a small fridge for milk, iced water, lemons & limes etc. He also has an air con unit on the side. All the waste water is connected to a Saniflo so small bore plastic piping (much cheaper) could be laid into the sewage system. he also has covered decking (the roof of the summer house juts out) with large plant pots with nice flowers & plants wind chimes out side so people can either wait for treatments or chillout after on a hot day after!!.All this as well as storage space, towel warmers, electric therapy couch (heated). Now all that might be a bit too much for you but it shows with the right ideas and out of the box thinking a lot can be done. don't forget a lot can be bought off good old ebay!:idea:
Have a troll through the posts see if you can get more ideas..
:)
Good luck

J

Thanks for all your replies guys, much appreciated :hug:

I have been in contact with my local council, via e-mail, so its all in writing, just waiting to hear back, so fingers crossed!:Scared:

Lyns xx

Good luck Lyns, let us know how you get on.

Xx

good luck hunny,hope all goes well
sazza x

Good luck I hope you get your salon up and running.. I shall be in the same boat shortly getting my home business up and running :Scared:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Looks like I need planning permission!! GRRR GRRR GRRR :irked:

£350 to do it and then could still get a no :eek:

Aw hun! Did they say why you might need planning? Is it the height or situation of the planned building? Is it because you'll be using it as a commercial place?

Here's hoping you don't need it! Can you call the council and ask if someone will come out or don't they do that?

Fingers crossed Sweet! Xx

Aw hun! Did they say why you might need planning? Is it the height or situation of the planned building? Is it because you'll be using it as a commercial place?

Here's hoping you don't need it! Can you call the council and ask if someone will come out or don't they do that?

Fingers crossed Sweet! Xx
Its because of clients coming and the impact on neighbour hood, parking, noise etc! And change of use from summer house, to business use. I said I'm mobile too so rest of time it will be a summer house :eek: so have to submit some other thing 'a doodad of lawfull use' which is £150 then they decide wether its ok or if i need to do full planning. Basically thats at the discretion of the planning officer who visits and the info i give, I said consideration about parking should be taken as at weekends its a nightmare but weekdays its fine so hopefully they will take that into account! :rolleyes:

So, lots of form filling for me on Monday :zzz:

I see. Well hopefully it'll all go in your favour! Good luck with the forms ;)

Keep us informed won't you.

xx

Hi Guys,

Check out my pics on profile to see how I'm getting on with making summerhouse into a workspace! WOO HOOO:cool:

Ooh! You got planning then?! I'll take a look when I'm on my laptop as I can't access anything but forums on here from my phone :(

Xx

looking good from the pictures.well done on getting the planning.hope everything is going smoothly for you
sazza xx

Hi Guys,

Check out my pics on profile to see how I'm getting on with making summerhouse into a workspace! WOO HOOO:cool:

Hi just been looking at your pics looks fab
Where did you get your summer house from?
I'm looking to do this with a hair salon but having a nightmare with waste water xx

Hi just been looking at your pics looks fab
Where did you get your summer house from?
I'm looking to do this with a hair salon but having a nightmare with waste water xx

This thread was created as long ago as 2011, and the poster you've quoted hasn't visited Salon Geek for at least three years.

You may prefer to create a new thread on the subject of summer houses or alternatively, using the search facility, you will hopefully find existing threads which are more current.

Latest posts

Back