Customer didn't pay!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittens

Reaction score
Hi All

I just can't believe what's happened today and I'm absolutely fuming so really need to get this off my chest. Here goes..... I had a client booked in for lashes and when she came she asked if I took card which I said I did. She then straight away asked if I sell the mascara, so I showed her one and she said she'd have that as well. Anyway, did the treatment, said she loved them blah blah, then when we got downstairs to the reception desk and she said she'd need to get her cards out of the car to pay. I watched her go to the car then she came back in and said she'd left them at home and would be back in 5 mins. 20 mins later she rang the shop saying her father had had another stroke (when she booked she said he'd had a heart attack 12 weeks ago) and that she would try and get back today but if not it would be Tuesday. I explained that really the payment needs to be made today as I do my banking on a Monday - she said she'd try but if not would be Tues. Anyway lo and behold she didn't turn up. THEN... I went to pick a friend up from a local hairdressers and she'd told them what had happened, they said she did it to them 5 months ago, got away with £50 of treatment and 3.5 hours appointment!!!!!!! She owes me over £50! I'm absolutely fuming but will wait until Tues to see if she does come in or ring. I managed to get a mobile number from the other salon for her so will be contacting her if no payment is made on Tues. I'm also going to go to the police as this is theft in my eyes... Is there anything else you guys would do? Has this happened to anyone else? There should def be some king of Salon Watch Scheme - I'm really tempted to call every salon in the area and warn them! Aaaaargh I'm so mad..... hopefully my wine will calm me down!!! :mad:

You must have done a consultation card. Did she give a fake name etc?

As she's done this before, I agree with you about going to the police as she's obviously a con artist. How annoying! x

This is so bad! Sounds like shes just tries it on with everyone...Put her photo in window haha

I no its not the same thing but My boss makes people pay a deposit for expensive treatments or if alot of time has to be booked out...maybe something to do to cover yourself?

Hope u get this sorted n enjoy ur wine :)

You must have done a consultation card. Did she give a fake name etc?

As she's done this before, I agree with you about going to the police as she's obviously a con artist. How annoying! x

I did and she gave me the same name she's given the other salon..... either really thick or she just uses that name OR it really is her name!! The addresses didn't match though but the other salon knows where her daughter lives and what car her daughter drives, thnk I'll be going round there for the address before I go to the police... thanks for your reply xx

This is so bad! Sounds like shes just tries it on with everyone...Put her photo in window haha

I no its not the same thing but My boss makes people pay a deposit for expensive treatments or if alot of time has to be booked out...maybe something to do to cover yourself?

Hope u get this sorted n enjoy ur wine :)

lol, think if I had her photo I'd blow it up and put it on a massive billboard myself, I'm that mad!! I'm def going to start taking a deposit, thanks for the advice xx

I know you're angry but you can't do that due to you having to protect the data of your clients, even though the little wench didn't pay. I would send her a recorded delivery letter and give her 14 days to pay, if she still doesn't, you have to send her another one giving a further 7 days. You can then start small claims proceedings against her which you should win, you have proof she had the treatment and she didn't pay (although she could claim that she paid you cash). BUT I would still report it to the police though and get a crime number which I would put on the letters to her too. Obviously do this after Tuesday.

For any long treatments definitely get a deposit too. If someone else tries this "I'll be back in a minute", get them to leave something precious until they return!

Also if you speak to her on the phone tell her you can take card payment over the phone then she can't use any excuse for not getting there.
How cheeky some people are! Hope you get it sorted.

Firstly, don't beat yourself up for this, I think we've all been caught out before with clients.

I've had clients go to write me a cheque and find that they haven't got any left!
I've had clients that have gone into their purses and pulled out euros as they've just got back off holiday and not transferred to pounds.
I've had someone just back from Prague and pulled out their currency to pay.
I also only accept cash or cheques so have had new clients expect to pay by card, I have had to trust them and send them off to the nearest cashpoint. I have danced around like a "cat on a hot tin roof" until they return, luckily, all of them have come back and paid.

What I have started doing is ask them to leave their carkeys and mobile phone. So far it has worked.

Saying that, it doesn't happen very often, in the past 4 years I probably get 6 situations a year.

There should def be some kind of Salon Watch Scheme - I'm really tempted to call every salon in the area and warn them!

You are right, there should be some kind of Salon Watch scheme, but there probably isn't the potential for that on this site because posts can be viewed by members of the public.

.. I agree to keep something valuable of theirs if a client is leaving the salon, and if she does come back and your prepared to treat her again, id be asking for full payment up front from her next time.

what a shame, its annoying getting a trusted nature taking advantage off. :hug:

I once had a lady come and have treatment worth £590. At the time my card machine was off line so she asked for the nearest cash point. It was only down the road from the salon but I went with her saying it was a precautionary measure as she had been given a local anaesthetic and needed to stay with a member of staff for 20 minutes after the injection in case of any cardiac effects.

She was happy about this and said we were very thoughtful! It was true though but a big part of me thought you could just disappear off with £590 of treatment as she didn't have any valuables to leave at the salon.

Just a thought, but beware keeping their phone as security... if they are out to cheat you there could be no SIM card in it and the handset probably a worthless old spare.

I'm really sorry to hear this, sounds like she is doing it on a regular basis from what you state. I used to work for the Police and have heard of a customer doing this to hair dressers. I think you should report it, and give her an oppertunity to pay up before pressing charges. At least you will have it logged and the Police tend to not rush round to arrest people before you insist on pressing charges.

Good luck

Sian Rogers

Oh dear, I would be fuming too! just a thought, couldn't you poss, write down the treatment they were being given on the consultation card and the cost?? so its like a little clause...to the effect "I agree to pay such n such the sum of ....... following the treatment"?? I studied law and passed my contrat law exam, so as long as a contract is in place and there is some "consideration" which would be the therapist carrying out the treatment, then it would sure stand up in a small claims court, particularly if the treatments were expensive as per the previous post! even verbal contracts do stand up in courts, but not as successfully as written ones..., just a thought .... I think I will be doing it when I finish my training and start doing all my treatments :)... cheeky bloody woman though.... what a nerve.. I certainly wouldn't let it lie and get justice lol xxx

Why can't you call the police?
She stole product since it wasn't paid for and services.
Stealing???

I had a lady arrive and say she forgot her purse, I asked her to go back home and get it, she lived about 12miles away, she did go back home and she came back with her money. Lucky!!!!

Well I've found out where she lives now and she did give me a completely false address surprise surprise! Thank god for facebook and thank god I know so many people in Heywood - one of my good friends sons is very good friends with her son.... I'll keep you posted and thanks so much for all your advice and thoughts xx

You poor thing :hug:
There really are some nasty people around.
Thank god you have her address & correct info, when this is all sorted, I would phone around my local hairdressers & beauty salons telling them your story & description of her - I know that if someone warned me I would be so grateful. One of my favourite sayings "Its nice to be nice"
I hope you get this sorted out soon, keep us posted x:hug:x

Oh dear, I would be fuming too! just a thought, couldn't you poss, write down the treatment they were being given on the consultation card and the cost?? so its like a little clause...to the effect "I agree to pay such n such the sum of ....... following the treatment"?? I studied law and passed my contrat law exam, so as long as a contract is in place and there is some "consideration" which would be the therapist carrying out the treatment, then it would sure stand up in a small claims court, particularly if the treatments were expensive as per the previous post! even verbal contracts do stand up in courts, but not as successfully as written ones..., just a thought .... I think I will be doing it when I finish my training and start doing all my treatments :)... cheeky bloody woman though.... what a nerve.. I certainly wouldn't let it lie and get justice lol xxx

it doesn't have to be a written contract though and with regards to consent that can be written, verbal or implied; meaning if she lay on the couch for you to do the treatment that is implied consent.

I have just successfully completed a small claims court (won't go into details as it's wedding related) and there was no written contract in place. Fact is she had the treatment she needs to pay for it. She would have to prove she paid you though, no card or cheque stub very difficult, cash payment rather difficult but if the judge believes you, she will lose and have to pay for the treatment, court costs, interest and maybe loss of earnings in attending court (currently only £100 per day).

Police is the only way to deal with this. Even if her story was genuine, she could always get a friend to pop the money in. I would report her straight away. But if you're in any doubts call her and tell her (or leave a message) saying that if you don't receive the money by X.XXpm that day you'll be going to the police x

Latest posts

Back