Damaged my scalp, need help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've been bleaching and dying my hair for years, I never use boxed dye only professional mix-it-yourself products that I purchase at the beauty supply store. Recently, I've been bleaching and dying more often because I started beauty college and like to experiment. My hair isn't in the worst shape, but yesterday I decided to start dying it dark because I didn't want to have to continually bleach it. When I applied the color, it started to irritate my scalp almost immediately, but it was not unbearable. I have experienced more discomfort in the past when using bleach. After I finished the application, I left the color on my hair for only about 15 minutes. I rinsed it very thoroughly (probably for about 2 straight minutes) and used a deep conditioning packet as directed. About an hour later, I touched my scalp and realized there was a sticky spot right on the crown of my head, like my scalp was weeping drainage. I examined the area with my fingers and it seemed to me there was a lesion there, and upon feeling the rest of my scalp, there were several more less severe lesions all around the top half of my head. I was concerned but when I did an internet search nothing was really helpful. After waking up this morning I found in the areas where my scalp was oozing last night there are now patches of scaly scabs covering my head. They are quite itchy but not painful. I can deal with these I guess but I don't know how to treat them, and I'm also very fearful of hair loss and permanent damage. Please, if anyone has advice for me, or has seen this reaction before it would be much appreciated if you could post a response to help me out. Thanks!:Scared:

Are you a qualified stylist? I am guessing not otherwise you would have skin tested and known that you are more likely to be alergic to dark tints and that it isnt that simple as just fed up of being blonde so stick a dark over.
That being said, what done is done. Go to your GP and ask for some cream and anti histamine. Also you will probably never be able to have an on scalp application ever again. Once you have a reaction like this it tends to get worse each time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I did a patch test at the back of my neck, like you're supposed to. I didn't experience a reaction. As I said in my post only the top of my scalp was damaged. I am not a qualified stylist, I am a beauty school student. Please, I feel stupid enough already, this is very embarrassing. I don't have health insurance and being that I'm a student I don't have money to see a dermatologist or that would've been my first choice. Anyone know of an at home remedy or healing aid?

I did a patch test at the back of my neck, like you're supposed to. I didn't experience a reaction. As I said in my post only the top of my scalp was damaged. I am not a qualified stylist, I am a beauty school student. Please, I feel stupid enough already, this is very embarrassing. I don't have health insurance and being that I'm a student I don't have money to see a dermatologist or that would've been my first choice. Anyone know of an at home remedy or healing aid?

Really? This experience hasn't put you off DIYing things. Look its dangerous enough messing round with chemicals you have no training in but to then ask us how to cure the damage done? We are hairstylists not doctors. Take it as a lesson learned. Go pro. For your hair and your medical needs ;)

Look I know that I look really dumb to you, but I really need help. If you don't have any useful advice please just don't reply. Like I said, I am in training to use these products, I had no way of predicting this result. What I need now is advice, not condescending ridicule. For example: will aloe vera help? How about cortisone or antibiotic ointments?

Look I know that I look really dumb to you, but I really need help. If you don't have any useful advice please just don't reply. Like I said, I am in training to use these products, I had no way of predicting this result. What I need now is advice, not condescending ridicule. For example: will aloe vera help? How about cortisone or antibiotic ointments?

I don't think its condescending to say "see your doctor".

Are you a qualified stylist? I am guessing not otherwise you would have skin tested and known that you are more likely to be alergic to dark tints and that it isnt that simple as just fed up of being blonde so stick a dark over.
That being said, what done is done. Go to your GP and ask for some cream and anti histamine. Also you will probably never be able to have an on scalp application ever again. Once you have a reaction like this it tends to get worse each time.

You're very rude. I hope you don't treat your clients this way. Now I know that this site is not at all helpful, and instead has members who are so set on being a know-it-all that they cannot even for a moment put themselves in the shoes of a student in a desperate situation. You could have read this post and just replied that you are sorry, that you don't have any experience with this and that you can't help. Or you could have passed it over knowing you had nothing constructive to contribute, but thanks for helping me realize that there are inconsiderate people everywhere you go! I really appreciate that.

If you're a student you can get medication for free.

If you're a student you can get medication for free.

Woops just read you don't have health insurance. You're not on the NHs no? Anyway the things you're suggesting would cost why a prescription from the doctors would cost. Just go with the advice you've been given. We are not doctors so we can't advise you.

Woops just read you don't have health insurance. You're not on the NHs no? Anyway the things you're suggesting would cost why a prescription from the doctors would cost. Just go with the advice you've been given. We are not doctors so we can't advise you.

She lives in the US so there is no NHS over there.

Laura x

I would still rather pay for the doctors than start putting god knows what on it to save a few quid :/ hey ho.....

You're very rude. I hope you don't treat your clients this way. Now I know that this site is not at all helpful, and instead has members who are so set on being a know-it-all that they cannot even for a moment put themselves in the shoes of a student in a desperate situation. You could have read this post and just replied that you are sorry, that you don't have any experience with this and that you can't help. Or you could have passed it over knowing you had nothing constructive to contribute, but thanks for helping me realize that there are inconsiderate people everywhere you go! I really appreciate that.

How the hell is that rude? Rude would be if I had said " that's what you get for being a hair messer"
I explained where you had gone wrong, I explained that you were probably experiencing a reaction to the darker tint and would now probably never be able to have an on scalp application of colour again. I advised you to seek medical assistance as we are NOT DOCTORS!
I don't think I was rude, I just gave you an answer that you didnt want to hear. The answer that by trying to save money by doing your own hair with chemicals you have limited knowlege in, you have wrecked your scalp and will now have to pay to see a doctor. Sorry if the truth and bare faced facts offend you but there they are.

I would still rather pay for the doctors than start putting god knows what on it to save a few quid :/ hey ho.....

Yep completely agree.

First of all we need to know exactly what you put on your scalp, then maybe we can help. :)

I had a scalp like this after my hair was chemically straightened. I had to go to my doctor and was prescribed a cream because he said I had 2nd degree burns. I am not a hair professional but can tell you that you need to seek medical help immediately. If you don't have the money then you need to ask someone to lend you money. Hope you get sorted.

I think the OP is from north america, judging by her use of terms such as 'beauty school' and 'health insurance'.

In the UK we are very privileged to be able to just scoot to the GP and get free, high quality treatment whenever we need, even when our symptoms are our own stupid fault. It's not as simple in other countries - often people have to choose between healthcare and basics like rent and food!

For obvious reasons forum members can't hand out medical advice, as very few of us are medically qualified.

However, we can help the girl by offering some common sense and not telling her how daft she is, I'm sure she's perfectly aware of how silly she has been.

If you can, please seek medical assistance, allergies are highly unpredictable and can symptoms can (very very rarely -so don't panic) suddenly worsen.

Should you have any of the following symptoms either now or in the coming days please seek emergency medical assistance IMMEDIATELY;

Itching or tingling in your mouth or nose
Swelling of the face, airways or mouth
Severe pain
Dizziness, fainting
Otherwise unexplained vomiting

Be sensible with any home remedies, cool water rinses and aloe vera could ease discomfort. An over the counter antihistamine could be helpful.

Pharmacists can be very helpful in situations like this, they may be able to give you a stronger antihistamine or hydrocortisone cream.

Try not to shampoo etc while you're healing, it could irritate the skin further.

Never use dark dye again without seeking a professional colourists and medical advice beforehand.

Hope that's somewhat helpful, get well soon

R x
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

First of all we need to know exactly what you put on your scalp, then maybe we can help. :)

I used "LOREAL TECHNIQUE Preferance permanent haircolor MEGA REDS med. intense copper auburn or MR5" with "Salon Care Proffesional 20 volume clear developer"

I think I will try to use an OTC 1% cortisone cream, that's what's recommended for allergic contact dermatitis which is what I think I may be experiencing.

Thank you, I will look out for those symptoms. And I definitely won't be self coloring again until I can afford to consult a physician. You are correct that it isn't that simple to see a doctor. It would cost me probably as much as I pay to rent my apartment for a month just to be seen, and potentially hundreds more for medication. Not to mention the 1-2 month wait unless I go to an emergency room. I will avoid washing as well.

I used "LOREAL TECHNIQUE Preferance permanent haircolor MEGA REDS med. intense copper auburn or MR5" with "Salon Care Proffesional 20 volume clear developer"

I think I will try to use an OTC 1% cortisone cream, that's what's recommended for allergic contact dermatitis which is what I think I may be experiencing.

No, you don't have dermatitis, you have an allergic reaction and scalp burns. Different thing entirely.

I'm not familiar with the colour you used, but am concerned that it may be comparable with magi contrast that we use in the uk, which is off scalp only.
You caused this situation by guessing, and trying to play hairdresser, please don't guess at your symptoms and try and play doctor. Maybe use the money that you didn't spend on a pro hairdresser to get the correct medical advice.

I agee go to the pharmacists and see what they recommend I take it there advice is free, but speak to the actual pharmacist ont just the sale assistant :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back