Dip dye

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abiloveit

Reaction score
Don't want you to judge or think I'm a bad hairdresser but how is it done? I was never taught it at college when I done my nvq2 or 3! Any step by step guide or links would be very helpful thank u :) x

I mix my tint, section the hair from the nape and paint it on, only do the ends or from where the client wants it. Xoxo

Don't want you to judge or think I'm a bad hairdresser but how is it done? I was never taught it at college when I done my nvq2 or 3! Any step by step guide or links would be very helpful thank u :) x

i didnt learn it either!! looking for someone to practice dip dye and ombre on now after reading so much about it on here!

I mix my tint, section the hair from the nape and paint it on, only do the ends or from where the client wants it. Xoxo

same, can also back comb the section then apply tint just below back combing

same, can also back comb the section then apply tint just below back combing

would this give it less of a straight line where the colour changes?

I just use my bridge on the thin end to do that, lazy me haha xoxo

Ahhh yes thank you can't wait tontry it now haha xx

Really nice finish If done well, if doing in thin sections from the back, do te underneath with more colour working to less and less as you get further up the hair so when there's wind or movement it gives a completely different look and looks less like grown out colour (which i often think it looks like anyway) xoxo

to be honest its pipsqueak easy to do but difficult to explain how to do without showing you!
go in with a root tint first and say if you want the dipdye to start from 5 inches from root (example), do the root colour untill five inches down, then, where you want to dipdye, to start, use your root tint as a guide (so its five inches lengthways down, grab sections the same width as your root tint (easy enough as the hair groups together) put a foil underneath the hair and where you see your guide, slap on the bleach (and i mean really use LOADS, you want a really swelled packet, but dont close the foil, its basically just sticking a foil on top, dont close the sides or anything), do this all the way through, wait untill its developed, rinse off, then, if your a loreal girl, go in with a richesse just on the bleached parts to your desired shade, if your a wella girl, go in with a colour touch again just on the bleached midlengths and ends to your desired colour

i know ive made it sound complicated but its really not the case once u get into it! good luck x

Hi there, I did my first dip dye look yesterday and it looked fab! Not sure if this way is recommended but it worked for me. I did 5.0 on the roots about 4 inches down then starting at the nape took sections, not particularly neat, and applied 8.1 in the middle and 10.1 with a sprinkle of bleach on the ends overlaping the colours. I used majiesomething(sorry can't remember what they are called, like foil but yellow!) and just folded up like mech and left the sides open and loose. It came out amazing! Back inning sounds a good idea too.

There are some great videos on youtube regarding the ombre and dip-dyed look. We do it loads in our salons and believe me, there are lots of variations from quite strong to quite soft. The trick is to backcomb your section so you don't get the harsh contrast line... but honestly, youtube will help you more than you know! Good luck!

Latest posts

Back