Discolouration on NATURAL nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle77

Reaction score
Hi all

Had a client this morning who comes weekly for polish and then once a month for thw orks (manicure & pedicure). I always apply a base coat before polish etc. Today she bought her own top coat (OPI base coat). I originally started using Toughen Up on her nails last year but she said when she took the polish off she had noticed her nails were looking 'yellow' so I changed from the Toughen Up to Stickey and I hadn't noticed a problem but today she said they were still discoloured and she wanted me to use hers.

Why has she got this discolouration?????? I did notice it more today. The nail plate is looking slightly darker/yellow towards the free edge.

I only use Creative products and my client removes her polish the night before her appointment but I know that she only uses Designer Nails Enamel Remover (as sold by me!).

She said that her sister had had the same problem after xmas when I did hers.

WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!!!!

Any help or ideas would be appreciated! :)

Mich

I'd be interested in any responses to this too as I'm having similar problems with a client.

Only ever use Creative on her, I remove her polish, she doesn't do anything to her nails anymore (other than Solar Oil and Solar Silk) she says that's what I'm for!!!

She has really bad yellowing, it buffs off, does fade slightly with Nailbrite but does not removed it totally- and it's getting steadily worse.

I only ever use Stickey base coat on her.

I tried an experiment and used only LCN polishes last time she came, and happily it hadn't got any worse when she arrived today.

She's just left, with me having used LCN basecoat but a Creative colour, so we'll see how she does at next appointment.

My next move is to try Stickey base with an LCN colour - if she gets yellowing then it must be the Stickey basecoat by process of elimination :rolleyes:

Any ideas???

Trin
xx

Just Wanted To 'bump' This Up Coz Could Really Do With Some Ideas To The Cause Of The Prob!

Thanx :)

I originally posted this last week but didn't get a response.
icon_cry.gif

My client is back this week and really could do with some ideas as to why she has this discolouration.

Can anyone help????? PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Many Thanx
Mich

I am interested in this topic also as I have this problem with my own nails even though I use base and top coat.

Not even nail whitener soaks can get rid of it!! The only reason I can think of is that I ALWAYS have nail varnish on.

Thanks Lell, I have just looked at that other post and I seem to be getting the same prob as them.
icon_cry.gif

SAM PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I was using toughen up then changed to Stickey, applying Cream Puff & Beau then Super Shiney and spraying with Solar Speed (after a couple of mins). Both clients that had same polish have started to show signs of yellowing (nails only!!).
icon_sad.gif

Thanx
Mich

Is this on the natural nail or is it on a nail enhancement/

Natural :irked:

I don't know if this helps, but i once i was told that its the ingredient formaldehyde resin that givesthe polish its shine, but this ingredient also discolours the nail plate so you should ensure that your base coat doesn't contain formaldehyde resin.

The base coat i use dries matt, so maybe this is why i was told this?

I don't use the polishes mentioned above so i don't know much about them.

Hth.

xxx

scattyfox said:
Is this on the natural nail or is it on a nail enhancement/

Yes its only happening on natural for me too
icon_sad.gif

Mich

Just been looking on the Elite website -which is another geeks website with a forum similar to this. They have a thread which relates to this one.

Cant remember the geegs name but I am sure some one else will know.

Hope this helps.

Just read my post back and I meant cant remember the geeks name, not geegs name - sorry for any confusion.

i too have read all the previous posts on this.....but there has been no definate answer. I only use creative, essie and opi and it only happens when i use creative,
I had mystere on last week and after 2 days the yellowing was showing through the enamel!!
It would be really great if we could find out ways to avoid this......i don't wear enhancements and to be totally honest it is embarrassing when clients see my yellow nails!!!!

I start the manicure by gently buffing off the existing stain and carefully applying a solution of 20 vol peroxide and water to the nails with a swab for 15 minutes to do more lightening if needed and then proceed with the rest of the service.

Using a treatment product alone as a base coat doesn't usually prevent staining so apply the treatment first (strengthener, ridge filler,etc.) and THEN the base coat followed by the enamel and top coat.

Sometimes they'll admit to sneaking in a polish change at home before their next appointment and all it takes is one day in almost ANY enamel with red or yellow undertones to stain the nails.

Toughen up is designed as a base coat though isn't it? So would we need to put TU on then Stickey base coat before enamel?

I have looked on the other website as well at what was put previous and it mentions using acetone to remove enamel but there isn't a reason for why it is happening as diesel has mentioned.

Could it be the Creative enamel????????
icon_sad.gif

Mich

I'm not familiar with Toughen Up but if it's anything like OPI Nail Envy (strenghener and base coat), then yes, I'd still put a base coat over it or use two coats of Toughen Up. Some people don't have discoloration problems even with no base coat but on those who do stain, that extra layer before the enamel really seems to do the trick.

Latest posts

Back