DIY Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poeticmelody

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

I am new here, although I've been lurking around for quite some time. I am not a nail professional, but am genuinely interested in hearing your side of the story as to why shellac should only be done by a licensed professional. What I'm looking for is a well thought out argument, not flaming fireballs thrown at me!

I bought shellac to do myself (arriving this friday!), but before I did, I spent COUNTLESS hours researching about the product and watching videos on how to apply/remove/troubleshooting. I feel way more informed than my "licensed nail technician" who was applying shellac ALL wrong! She buffed my nail, didn't seal the free edge, didn't use a CND lamp but a no brand one, let the polish pool around the edges, didn't use a curette, cut my eponychium, didn't use the CND wraps to remove (used foil and cotton balls and only left it on for 5 min), didn't wash my hands after using CND cuticle remover, and didn't inform me about any aftercare. In short, it was a shellac disaster!

Shellac by itself doesn't seem to be harmful, especially if you use the ENTIRE system as it was intended, and to that end I did buy the whole system, meaning everything recommended by CND, including the CND lamp and the CND remover wraps. I read Doug Schoon's articles on danger of under (and over) cured nails (my technician apparently didn't though!). Shellac also looks and applies just like polish - no drilling, buffing, sculpting, etc - so it doesn't seem dangerous or overly complicated to me if you apply it at home following the directions and with the recommended products. In short, shellac, unlike a lot of other nail systems, doesn't seem to be rocket science.

Now, if people go out and buy shellac without researching it and without buying what CND says is needed (like the uv lamp) or starts mixing products and wonders why things aren't working out and starts bad mouthing shellac, then yes, they should be stoned. But should an informed consumer like me, who follows all the directions to a T, including proper aftercare, be crucified? Is the nail technician mentioned above excused just because she has a license?

Thank you in advance for thoughtfully sharing your opinions!

Last edited:
It's a valid point. The nail tech you quote has abused the system because she hasn't learned about the product. You have taken the time to understand the product and its use.

Why should you not use it? Because you are not a trained professional. You haven't been taught about the health of the nail and surrounding skin, how to maintain this in the healthiest manner, and contraindications.

As a side note, where have you bought your system from? It cannot be from a licenced vendor, because you would have had to provide proof of training. It is only licenced vendors that can guarantee the validity of the product.

You are obviously interested in nail care and nail technology. Why not train as a tech? You sound like you would be an asset to the profession.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response! I was expecting a lot more people to chime in...maybe my post was too long lol. I started my rant because I was frustrated of DIY shellackers being bashed or not helped when they asked questions about the product. I don't think it's fair to people like me who have extensively researched the product.

In regards to your reasoning on why I should not use it, do I really need to know a whole lot about the health of the nail and surrounding skin to use it? I have started using solar oil and cuticle eraser everyday, and my nails seem to be doing great. With shellac isn't that all I really need to know to do? None of my manicurists ever told me how to take care of my nails. They just kind of did them.

I'd rather not say where my products from. I don't want a whole bunch of people to start complaining and then I can't buy from them any more. It did seem like a reputable website that sold many, many products for nail technicians. In their defense though, they did say they were a professional only website, but they did not check licenses.

If only we could do everything we love! Sometimes there just isn't enough time. I would love to do nails some day, but right now my love of languages is calling me to teach lol.

The importance of understanding the health of the nails and surrounding skin is to recognize any contra-indications which indicate when the treatment should not be carried out or require modifications, lack of this knowledge may result in infected nails which require medical treatment it's important to know what you're looking at.

Also as an unlicensed tech do you know how to correctly prepare your tools and equipment?

I'm sure most nail techs ignored this post not because of it's length but because it's insulting to read. How is it fair to us that because of your "research" you feel entitled to ask questions about professional products that we have trained extensively with?

You researched for what, a few hours? Maybe a couple days? I went to school for 1600 hours. And most of the classes I attended ( and spent countless dollars on!) after graduation and still attend are at least 5 hours each if not all day workshops. I don't think that our training time is equal at all. So you telling me that you should be able to take part in a site for professionally trained people like me is what is not fair.

You're sick of getting bashed for DIY shellac application? Don't you think we are sick of trying to defend our passion and livelihood?

Just because you experienced a few so so nail techs doesn't mean that we all operate that way. Once again, it is insulting to read that knowing the nail anatomy, chemistry and structure is not necessary to properly apply shellac. It is not useless information and is in fact a very important tool of our trade.

It seems through your "extensive researching" you feel you've learned everything about shellac already. So why feel the need to defend your right to ask questions on a pro site in the first place?

Lastly, why do you care what we think of you using pro products without a license? I'm sure you will use the shellac you purchased regardless. I really don't know what else you expect to receive as a response to your post, honestly.

Last edited:
I don't think it was because your post was to long ,I think it may have been more that people wear not sure what to say !
Alot of us have invested alot of time ,money , tears, and energy into our training ,alot of us don't take kindly to DIY'ers ,who seem to think it's all so easy (dose that make techs who struggled slightly even after training a bit stupid?)
How do you know your nail tech was doing wrong ? Because she wasn't using CND wraps? It's not law,
Because she buffed your nail ? Again this "could" be explained why she felt the need, but I won't.

As for your products they may well be real , but if they are not from a proper distributer then how can you be sure ? You may have shellac bottles with gel in them, a shellac "look a light" with cheap low intensity bulbs ,
Your base coat may be some of the left over batch from last year that was all half cured whilst shipping ! And no good,
Do you think as an unlicensed / untrained DIY'er buying from an unofficial sorce that you will have good consumer rights?or manufacturers support?
Or even know the difference in quality beetween real , fake , and damaged ?

While your post reads that you have done your research ,
and your not saying you will be setting up shop or something your saying you will be using it on your self?
It also reads as how easy it is, and it may seem that way but in all respect you haven't revived it yet?or tried it yet?
You have watched videos of highly skilled pros doing it!
( people can make anything look easy when they know how)
I own a nice set of knife's and watch cooking shows can I cut my vegetables like them with out loosing a finger ??? NOPE lol

Www.lilmissbuffit.com
Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

I'm sure most nail techs ignored this post not because of it's length but because it's insulting to read. How is it fair to us that because of your "research" you feel entitled to ask questions about professional products that we have trained extensively with?

You researched for what, a few hours? Maybe a couple days? I went to school for 1600 hours. And most of the classes I attended ( and spent countless dollars on!) after graduation and still attend are at least 5 hours each if not all day workshops. I don't think that our training time is equal at all. So you telling me that you should be able to take part in a site for professionally trained people like me is what is not fair.

You're sick of getting bashed for DIY shellac application? Don't you think we are sick of trying to defend our passion and livelihood?

Just because you experienced a few so so nail techs doesn't mean that we all operate that way. Once again, it is insulting to read that knowing the nail anatomy, chemistry and structure is not necessary or an important tool to properly apply shellac. It is not useless information and is in fact a very important tool of our trade.

It seems through your "extensive researching" you feel you've learned everything about shellac already. So why feel the need to ask questions on a pro site in the first place? Or was your post really meant to start a debate since you were expecting more people chiming in?

i completely agree with the above. as St311ar says, its our livelihood, we have spent time and money training in the products that have been designed to be used only by professionals. if you wish to use the products, i strongly suggest that you spend the time and money doing the training as well.

SJK already stated a number of reasons Shellac is a professonal product only, and for you to argue the point again is just degrading towards us as professionals.

i dont go to a mechanic and tell them how to fix my car and that i could do it better then them, even though i have done a lot of research on the matter.

A lot of us earn our LIVING in the hair and beauty industry. We depend on people coming to us for hair/beauty/nails.
Anyone can cut their own hair, and save the money they would spend with me. Get a pair of scissors, do your "research" and give it a go!
Would you then expect me (a hair pro) to give you advice on how to do it?

If your "research" had been superb, and shellac was as easy as you say, why would you need the pro's on here to help you? If it was as easy as nail varnish, you wouldn't really be posting threads on a pro site now would you?

For someone who makes the boast of how much research you did before you bought a product that is for professional use only, it strikes me as rather odd that you didn't put the same amount of research into finding a nail technician with an excellent reputation to do your Shellac service and ended up going to someone who's service was so horrendous?

If you're seeking approbation from the professionals here, you won't be successful. To my way of thinking all you really are is just another 'messer, who thinks they know better and wants to do something on the cheap; someone who feels a little superior because you have 'bucked' the system; to the point of visiting this professional forum to crow about it! There is no other point to you being here than to get attention .. exactly that. You even admit in your post above that you were hoping for much more attention to this pointless thread than you were getting.

To answer your original question before I close.

Shellac is a superior product sold only to professionals by the premier nail company who has always only ever sold to professionals.

CND protect the image and livelihoods of their professional partners by enforcing their professional only philosophy and always have.

That is the reason we don't want non pros buying Shellac because CND Have always honoured their promises and pro only is the way they want to remain.

Last edited:
Everything geeg and the others said.

As a salon owner with an amazing nail tech I am amazed at your post. :rolleyes:

Hmmm Poeticmelody this is a tough one, as I personally have trained privately in beauty and nails, at my own expense, for the past few months, and have qualifications to show for it. I couldn't comment on your ability as I have never seen your work or seen your research but I would advise, if you are going to be offering Shellac as a treatment, to get some Manicure and Pedicure training just to cover your back, as if something goes wrong, or if customers ask about your training, it's going to look pretty bad on you if don't have any. And like previous posts mentioned, you aren't going to recognise contra-indications of the nails and surrounding areas. If you train privately you tend to do the practical training at the college, and take the theory home to study. This way you can do it in your own time. It's worth saving up for the course fees as you will make back the costs of courses through future treatments. Hope this advice is helpful to you.

Oh great another one who will be on here asking what they are doing wrong and whats this green thing on my nail! :irked:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't it just have been sufficient to say 'we can't help you' without all the other stuff.

Jacqui xx

Wouldn't it just have been sufficient to say 'we can't help you' without all the other stuff.

Jacqui xx

I think people have the right to reply in whatever manner they choose here without being told off by other members for doing so. The OP did not ask for help ... she asked for an explanation ... 'we can't help you' is not an answer.

Hello ladies,

I am new here, although I've been lurking around for quite some time. I am not a nail professional, but am genuinely interested in hearing your side of the story as to why shellac should only be done by a licensed professional. What I'm looking for is a well thought out argument, not flaming fireballs thrown at me!

I bought shellac to do myself (arriving this friday!), but before I did, I spent COUNTLESS hours researching about the product and watching videos on how to apply/remove/troubleshooting. I feel way more informed than my "licensed nail technician" who was applying shellac ALL wrong! She buffed my nail, didn't seal the free edge, didn't use a CND lamp but a no brand one, let the polish pool around the edges, didn't use a curette, cut my eponychium, didn't use the CND wraps to remove (used foil and cotton balls and only left it on for 5 min), didn't wash my hands after using CND cuticle remover, and didn't inform me about any aftercare. In short, it was a shellac disaster!

Shellac by itself doesn't seem to be harmful, especially if you use the ENTIRE system as it was intended, and to that end I did buy the whole system, meaning everything recommended by CND, including the CND lamp and the CND remover wraps. I read Doug Schoon's articles on danger of under (and over) cured nails (my technician apparently didn't though!). Shellac also looks and applies just like polish - no drilling, buffing, sculpting, etc - so it doesn't seem dangerous or overly complicated to me if you apply it at home following the directions and with the recommended products. In short, shellac, unlike a lot of other nail systems, doesn't seem to be rocket science.

Now, if people go out and buy shellac without researching it and without buying what CND says is needed (like the uv lamp) or starts mixing products and wonders why things aren't working out and starts bad mouthing shellac, then yes, they should be stoned. But should an informed consumer like me, who follows all the directions to a T, including proper aftercare, be crucified? Is the nail technician mentioned above excused just because she has a license?

Thank you in advance for thoughtfully sharing your opinions!

I won't throw fireballs at you or call you offensive names; however, I hope you understand why we as professionals are offended. We have spent years perfecting our craft and for you to presume that because you have spent a few hours doing research, you can basically do what we do, quite frankly, is insulting. Please don't expect any assistance from us. Maybe you should try locating a DIY forum and de-register from a professional forum such as this, with all due respect.

I have a question for you.
You say your passion to teach is leading you in another direction.
Well how would you feel if, having gone through the degree and the teaching cert, I turned up at a job interview and told the panel I'd done my research and it didn't look difficult, I'd bought the books the subject covered and was confident I could teach the subject with out all that training malarkey.
Would you be understanding, nod wisely and tell me I could come to you for help any time I had a problem?
Would you happily take job seekers allowance while I took your job?

Though it isn't an overly complex service, there are still many issue why Shellac (or a similar service) is (and should be) professional only.

Identification of contra indications (conditions that would prevent you from having the service) and contra actions (conditions that may occur as a result of having the service) to issues of sanitation and safety (i.e. using correct UV output to prevent overexposure and allergic reactions). Heck, even removal issues spring to mind. Some issue could lead to severe reactions, some to even permanent loss of your nail plate.

Just because you feel you can execute the service, doesn't mean it is advisable or safe to. I suppose that I could give myself an appendectomy - but I would most likely pass in favor of a doctor :)

I came on this site to ask a question and not really to enter into the community and ask for assistance. Like some of you mentioned, this is a professional nail community and I respect that, but I have been seeing so many people say that you can do shellac at home and I came to that same conclusion too. However, I felt like I did not give you guys, the professionals, a chance to really to explain yourselves as to why this particular service should only be done at a salon. Honestly, I was interested in hearing your whole side of the story right from the horses mouth (hence me posting here). I had seen plenty of times on here that shellac should only be done by a licensed nail tech. I wanted to understand the why and from your perspective. Isn't that what an informed decision is all about? I wasn't hoping for attention, I was hoping for civilized and thoughtful arguments in order to reach that decision for myself.

geeg and others, I wish there were a plethora of nail salons around me that offer shellac, but there aren't. I had to settle for what was around me and the 3 that did my shellac didn't do a great job. I also don't feel like I have "bucked the system" and I definitely wasn't trying to crow. Trained and licensed nail technicians certainly have their place in the world and I don't know where many of us would be without them. I certainly do NOT think I can do even a tenth of the services and things other nail technicians do, and so I leave that to them and their expertise. Manicures though I CAN do at home, and with all due respect SalPep, I've never had nails turn green! Shellac didn't seem to be drastically different or overly complicated. So I wanted to know from the professionals, beyond the "this is a professional product", why this couldn't be done at home, like my manicures, if I chose to.

I don't plan on doing shellac on others, just myself. I think if I were to start doing it on others and charging, it would definitely only be fair to the client if I had all the knowledge, qualifications, and experience so that I could offer them the best service. (thanks lovelybeauty for the advice!)

I did not mean to insult any of you. As gr8nailz and others like persianista stated, you have spent years perfecting your craft and earn your living on it...and hands down I could never compete with that. I never said I could. My knowledge gained while researching shellac definitely can't compare with the knowledge you have from courses on so many different subjects. I don't plan on becoming mobile or something, and doing a whole bunch of people's nails. However I do feel that with my research on shellac (and limited knowledge on other systems and aspects of the nail) that it sufficient enough, and that shellac is easy enough for me to be able to do it on myself.

@ The Geek, you must have posted while I was still writing the above. Thank you for your response. That's really the kind of answer I had been looking for in my original post. It gave me a better understanding of how things can get complicated when shellacking your nails. Thanks again.

I came on this site to ask a question and not really to enter into the community and ask for assistance. Like some of you mentioned, this is a professional nail community and I respect that, but I have been seeing so many people say that you can do shellac at home and I came to that same conclusion too. However, I felt like I did not give you guys, the professionals, a chance to really to explain yourselves as to why this particular service should only be done at a salon. Honestly, I was interested in hearing your whole side of the story right from the horses mouth (hence me posting here). I had seen plenty of times on here that shellac should only be done by a licensed nail tech. I wanted to understand the why and from your perspective. Isn't that what an informed decision is all about? I wasn't hoping for attention, I was hoping for civilized and thoughtful arguments in order to reach that decision for myself.

geeg and others, I wish there were a plethora of nail salons around me that offer shellac, but there aren't. I had to settle for what was around me and the 3 that did my shellac didn't do a great job. I also don't feel like I have "bucked the system" and I definitely wasn't trying to crow. Trained and licensed nail technicians certainly have their place in the world and I don't know where many of us would be without them. I certainly do NOT think I can do even a tenth of the services and things other nail technicians do, and so I leave that to them and their expertise. Manicures though I CAN do at home, and with all due respect SalPep, I've never had nails turn green! Shellac didn't seem to be drastically different or overly complicated. So I wanted to know from the professionals, beyond the "this is a professional product", why this couldn't be done at home, like my manicures, if I chose to.

I don't plan on doing shellac on others, just myself. I think if I were to start doing it on others and charging, it would definitely only be fair to the client if I had all the knowledge, qualifications, and experience so that I could offer them the best service. (thanks lovelybeauty for the advice!)

I did not mean to insult any of you. As gr8nailz and others like persianista stated, you have spent years perfecting your craft and earn your living on it...and hands down I could never compete with that. I never said I could. My knowledge gained while researching shellac definitely can't compare with the knowledge you have from courses on so many different subjects. I don't plan on becoming mobile or something, and doing a whole bunch of people's nails. However I do feel that with my research on shellac (and limited knowledge on other systems and aspects of the nail) that it sufficient enough, and that shellac is easy enough for me to be able to do it on myself.

Again, with respect, there is so much about nail health and care that you must know, and you don't. I guess what we're trying to say here is that it's not just about application of the product. It's far more than that. Without experience and training in the proper care, health and maintenance of the nail like we professionals have acquired, you can severely damage your nails, even with an excellent system like Shellac. Just because you follow Shellac system protocol, that won't ensure that you won't encounter other issues related to nail health. Then what will you do? You're not professional trained. There is no bank of knowledge from which to draw.

Enough said. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back