DIY Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gr8nailz said:
Again, with respect, there is so much about nail health and care that you must know, and you don't. I guess what we're trying to say here is that it's not just about application of the product. It's far more than that. Without experience and training in the proper care, health and maintenance of the nail like we professionals have acquired, you can severely damage your nails, even with an excellent system like Shellac. Just because you follow Shellac system protocol, that won't ensure that you won't encounter other issues related to nail health. Then what will you do? You're not professional trained. There is no bank of knowledge from which to draw.

Enough said. Good luck to you.

Thank you for your thoughtful post! This is what I had wanted to know that I wasn't finding when I researched shellac. I didn't think I could damage my nails if I applied shellac correctly. But I see there are many other things to take into account too. And you're right, if something goes wrong I won't know what to do or how to fix.

thanks again.

ETA: Also, in regards to what you wrote above, do you think then that for the same reasons regular polish manicures should only be done by trained professionals? Do we run into the same or similar risks when we do regular polish manicures at home?

and with all due respect SalPep, I've never had nails turn green! .

That's because you have never used a product that stays on the nail for at least 2 weeks with bacteria breeding in a hot damp dark completely sealed environment. Shelac applies like a polish but is not a polish. Should not be treated like a polish and unless you have the correct back ground training you will not spot the difference in application until it's to late. That difference is what can give you a green nail, or a lost nail.
With the greatest of respect, if you were only wanting information you would not have already paid out for the system. If you have bought the correct system you have spent some serious money here.
If you didn't, well I can assure you, you have been ripped of. With out the correct equipment, you will either find the products don't work, or every time you apply them you run the risk of doing permanent damage to yourself.
Also there are many great techs in New York, some of them are geeks so if you've done the research, why can't you find a good tech in your back yard when I can?

Thank you for your thoughtful post! This is what I had wanted to know that I wasn't finding when I researched shellac. I didn't think I could damage my nails if I applied shellac correctly. But I see there are many other things to take into account too. And you're right, if something goes wrong I won't know what to do or how to fix.

thanks again.

ETA: Also, in regards to what you wrote above, do you think then that for the same reasons regular polish manicures should only be done by trained professionals? Do we run into the same or similar risks when we do regular polish manicures at home?

How would you know if you have applied the product correctly if you havent done the correct training? Because you have done some research?

Doing some research does not equal to getting the correct training. If you did the training, you would be surprised that you don't know as much as you think.

You asked a question. And people gave you the answer.

and with all due respect SalPep, I've never had nails turn green! .

That's because you have never used a product that stays on the nail for at least 2 weeks with bacteria breeding in a hot damp dark completely sealed environment. Shelac applies like a polish but is not a polish. Should not be treated like a polish and unless you have the correct back ground training you will not spot the difference in application until it's to late. That difference is what can give you a green nail, or a lost nail.
With the greatest of respect, if you were only wanting information you would not have already paid out for the system. If you have bought the correct system you have spent some serious money here.
If you didn't, well I can assure you, you have been ripped of. With out the correct equipment, you will either find the products don't work, or every time you apply them you run the risk of doing permanent damage to yourself.
Also there are many great techs in New York, some of them are geeks so if you've done the research, why can't you find a good tech in your back yard when I can?

Thank you for reading through my posts. I see what your saying about shellac applying like a polish, but not necessarily acting like a polish would, and hence being a breeding ground for bacteria because its a sealed environment. Answers like yours are exactly why I wanted to talk to you guys, because I couldn't find this information any where else, at least not regarding to shellac specifically.

I know it seems contradictory that I already bought the system, yet am asking for more info...and your right, it was a hefty investment. The thing is, my system hasn't arrived yet and during the processing/shipping time I felt like I hadn't really heard the reasoning from the professionals. So I figured if anything, when it arrives I can send it back and still get most of my money returned.

New york is pretty big, so your backyard my still be hours away from mine lol. So like I said, there doesn't seem to be that many in my area, and the ones that I've tried, haven't been great.

thanks again.

While I guess you could say that for the same reasons a regular polish manicure could also lead to infections/nail damage etc when done at home, what you need to bear in mind is that the products that the general public can buy are not the same as professional only products.

The chemicals in products like Shellac , L&P, Gel and thier respective removers are not the same as products which anyone can go and buy from a local chemist store.

If these professional only products are not stored, used and disposed of correctly it can result in some nasty outcomes.

We have to know how to deal with chemical spills, reactions and god forbid, if someone drank or got one of these products in thier eye, to name but a few. Would you know how to deal with a situation like that? It could easliy happen if you had a child come to visit. You would not have the information to give to a hospital which would delay any treatment.

Ok, let's say you're shellac'ing clients nails, until one day your client asks if you do pedicures. Why the hell not? You know how to use a foot spa right? (you've watched it on u tube!) and some nice pedicure products you bought.
The thing is, you know this lady and that she's a diabetic....what do you do?
I suppose you'd give her a lovely pedicure because you don't need to know anything about health issues, or the general nail health. Or what if your client has early stages of tinea ungium. Would you recognise it?

thanks again.

Again, with respect, I think you're better served by staying clear of products labeled "for professional use only." There's so much more going on with those products than just issues related to application. I think my fellow nail professionals out there have seen plenty of DIY damage because individuals thought it was just about application. Please, please be careful. I understand from your previous post that your area is severely lacking of a good nail professional, but please keep looking. For a woman, nails are a precious thing. A simple thing like nipping a cuticle can result in an infection that can cause a ripple affect thats consequences are so severe, you can't even imagine. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big DIY girl myself, but I would NEVER recommend it for nails. NEVER.

When it comes to your nails, may I suggest you invest in a quality base coat, color and top coat and leave the rest to the pros.

Again, with respect, I think you're better served by staying clear of products labeled "for professional use only." There's so much more going on with those products than just issues related to application. I think my fellow nail professionals out there have seen plenty of DIY damage because individuals thought it was just about application. Please, please be careful. I understand from your previous post that your area is severely lacking of a good nail professional, but please keep looking. For a woman, nails are a precious thing. A simple thing like nipping a cuticle can result in an infection that can cause a ripple affect thats consequences are so severe, you can't even imagine. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big DIY girl myself, but I would NEVER recommend it for nails. NEVER.

When it comes to your nails, may I suggest you invest in a quality base coat, color and top coat and leave the rest to the pros.

Here here! :)

Ok, let's say you're shellac'ing clients nails, until one day your client asks if you do pedicures. Why the hell not? You know how to use a foot spa right? (you've watched it on u tube!) and some nice pedicure products you bought.
The thing is, you know this lady and that she's a diabetic....what do you do?
I suppose you'd give her a lovely pedicure because you don't need to know anything about health issues, or the general nail health. Or what if your client has early stages of tinea ungium. Would you recognise it?

I think this lady bought the system for use on herself not for clients.

Although what you have said would be sound information for anyone unqualified intending to use it on the public.

Jacqui xx

Seems to me that the OP was looking for a nice juicy argument - looks like she got what she was looking for :|

Why are we all bothering to answer this post. This site is for professionals only, she is not a professional, therefore normally we would respectfully tell these posters we are unable to help, I think we should do the same here - this site is for questions from professionals NOT debates from unprofessionals!!!!!

I think this lady bought the system for use on herself not for clients.

Although what you have said would be sound information for anyone unqualified intending to use it on the public.

Jacqui xx

Jacqui, thank you for a voice of reason amongst all this spitefulness, call yourselves 'professional's nail techs? you should be ashamed of the way you have reacted. Unprofessional, rude and arrogant is the way you are coming across.
No one was suggesting that this lady was going to do shellac on anyone other than herself and she just wanted a sensible answer as to why it may not be a good idea to DIY.
No offense but doing manicure is hardly comparable to doing an appendicectomy..what a ridiculous analogy!:lol:

And no, I am not a troll just someone who is disgusted by the nastiness, I sincerely hope I never have the misfortune to have my nails done by a tech with an attitude as bad as yours.

professionals....hmmmmmm

I think we'll close before any more non pros get involved. I dont think this post has been nasty. And this is a perfect example of why non professionals are asked not to post on the main forums ... we have a consumer page for non pro qiuestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back