Do you want a conversation or a cut?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soosh

Reaction score
Hey all,

Back with a dilemma!

I've recently taken a Saturday job at a salon, while waiting to start my NVQ2 at college. I've been at the salon 4 times so far and last time the salon manager asked me to cut his hair. It was the first time when I did a men's cut, so had to learn how to use the clippers, trimming scissors and scissors over comb/clipper over comb technique. And It was the first time when I did a club cut. So lots of new things.
The manager and another stylist guided me step by step through the whole process and reminded me to breath when necessary. It was a tough experience, but I survived to it. At the end, the manager reminded me that I have to talk to the clients as well, and to make them feel important.
I agree with him and I see his point, but I was wondering...could I jump this step while I master all the techniques and THEN focus on the communication skills? I feel that if I talk and I try to think about the conversation, I don't pay enough attention to what I'm doing and I think I rather be careful, but silent, than chatty and sloppy and chop an ear. ( And it's also the fact that English is not my first language and I sometimes struggle to choose my words when I'm with my friends, not to mention a stranger- but probably this is my 'disability' that I have to improve)

I know all that about the visit at a hairdresser as a therapy, and the importance of social skills, the sutble technique of selling products while styling hair, the client's need to be adored and complimented. But I also know that in the end they pay to have a good cut.

So...the question is.....is the client there for a cut, or for a conversation? Please share your views with me.

Hi soosh,
just what do they cover in nvq level 1 if you haven't even done a club cut before?:Scared:
Its great that your salon is training you and letting you loose on the bosses hair. Yes you will need to concentrate until cutting becomes second nature but it is also very important to communicate with your client. Clients will want to find out a bit about you as well as tell you about themselves, it is a major part of being a hairdresser. Some clients will prefer to sit in silence, chill and not take part in small talk - you'll get familiar with the signs.
i guess you'd better keep practising your English because if you can't truly understand what a client is asking for or communicate back to them what you will be doing for them or have done, you may run into problems.
so - answer to your question - converstation or cut - BOTH:D

Cutting and chemical services don't start till your doing a level 2.
By the time your qualified you'll have more confidence to be able chat and cut,it just becomes second nature.
Don't worry about it xx

Penners - I did cutting and colouring and mostly everything on a dolly's head. So, it doesn;'t require much conversation. And I've done only one length, long layers and short graduation. I guess club cut is a bit like short graduation.
I do talk to them when I shampoo, ask them how they are, about their plans, but if they don't keep chatting it's fine with me, i don't force them into subjects. Some do, some will tell me about their family and stuff, but i guess not the ones who are under the knife :)).

Oh damn, now I feel self-confident about this thing and I wonder if I'll EVER be one of those chatty hairdressers.

I was the same when i was training...found the learning of cuts/colours etc really easy...but having to talk was my worst nightmare!!!
Try not to think too much about it as that will just make it seem worse, just relax and it will eventually come naturally.
Believe me it will come to you in time and then there will be no shutting you up ...a bit like me X

To the OP - I would never have realised that English is not your first language!

I was the same when i was training...found the learning of cuts/colours etc really easy...but having to talk was my worst nightmare!!!
Try not to think too much about it as that will just make it seem worse, just relax and it will eventually come naturally.
Believe me it will come to you in time and then there will be no shutting you up ...a bit like me X

Haha, hope so! Thank you!

Zo zo- I'll take that as a compliment then! x

Latest posts

Back