Double layer of adhesive

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McSnail

Reaction score
Watched several of the nail demo's at GMEX, and spotted something I'd not seen before. The technician applied adhesive not only to the plastic tip, but also to the end of the nail plate where the tip was going to be stuck.
When I learnt L&P we only ever applied adhesive to the plastic tip, but I can also see the advantages of getting a decent bond on both surfaces, then again I can also see the advantages of not using twice as much adhesive :rolleyes:

I assume both techniques are ok, but just wonder if there are particular circumstances when you should apply adhesive to the nail as well as the tip.

Colin

I use this method with Gelbond on a client who has ridges, they're not overly deep but enough to make it an uneven surface for fitting the tip.

Hi there, i was learnt this in my foundation course. It is too ensure maximum adhesion. Obviously apply thinly as you dont want your fingers sticking to the clients. I dont know if i have answered you question though?xx

I do this with adhesive i used to have a problem with flooding the tip originally and since changing to gelbond have found this method sits much better and i don't use as much as before when i was wasting it.

Yes, I apply to bith tip and nail too - I mostly use Gelbond.

There is a valid reason for using this method of adhesion and the amount of adhesive used is minuscule so using twice as much is really not an issue worth thinking about.

When you do wraps, you always base layer the nail with a layer of adhesive first. THEN you apply the tip. It has been noted for many years that wraps do not curl away from the tips as easily as with L/P and lasted generally much longer.

Whenever you buy adhesive what do the instructions always say for maximum adhesion??? "apply to both surfaces that are clean and dry" .... same for nail tips.

Just goes to show how you can slip into bad habits over time as i was also taught to do both sides at Creative...but it was only when i had a demo done at the Creative stand and the lady did both sides that i remembered..I don't know when or why i stopped..but will start doing both again from now on...just makes me wonder what else i have let slip by the wayside...i think this is why updated courses are important .. even if its just a re-fresh..xxx

got to admit Angie, I don't normally use it on both tip and nail either :o
having said that I only use Fabric# (at the moment) and there is a layer of Bond appplied before the tip :)

Anyone else find that gelbond sometimes comes out of the tube too fast and doesnt stop? I find i often waste quite alot this way.

Julie

hiya...i found that if you make the hole very small and just squeeze softly until you can see that the gel is making its way down the nozzle and then stop squeezing it comes out perfectly. HTH xx

Maybe i am making my original hole too large on opening the tube with a pin. I dont get the problem until i have used it a couple of times though, it is like it gets an air bubble and then it just keeps coming out. I will making my pin hole smaller. Thanks.

Julie

talontastic said:
Anyone else find that gelbond sometimes comes out of the tube too fast and doesnt stop? I find i often waste quite alot this way.

Julie

Yes, I have that problem too sometimes and it does seem to be after I've used it a few times - it's really annoying! Will try making te hole smaller next time and see if that makes a difference - thanks for that tip Angie. xx

i use to apply to the 2 surfaces but did my creative course about 2 1/2 weeks ago and was told by the teasher to apply to tip only but apply like toothpaste in one flow and not to use the tip of glue to spread the gelbond.

Tricia

Well Trini, ate to say this but your educator was obviously teaching her way and not to the CND standard criteria. Stick to what you were doing (both surfaces) it will work much better for you.

geeg said:
It has been noted for many years that wraps do not curl away from the tips as easily as with L/P and lasted generally much longer.
I agree, i think the reason for this is glue accelorator, glueset spray (or brushon) backscratchers kikr etc.
Glue accelorant is supposed to setup a chemical reaction which makes the glue more impervious to water (this was in a backscratchers course) Ever since i have used a glue set spray, i find the glue sets faster (obviously) .....i never get sticky glue clogging my files and i can get to work on them faster, you never know until you try it ...... dare you

To stop too much gelbond oozing out only squeeze the tube from the middle (not the bottom).

Hope i'm not jumping on someone else thread here...but regarding gelbond...i have tried it and liked it (no air bubbles) but mine got rreally clogged up after a couple of goes and now i'm back to brush on.Any more tips on gelbond or unclogging would be great...i know i'm a bit thick...i can't even get the hang of a glue.lol!!

every now and then i think we all lose the plot.......(even after 22 years in the game)
just last week my order was late and i went to the local pharmacy (chemist) and bought a glue drop dispenser (just incase), well the order arrived so i threw out the glue ....but oooh dear, the dispenser, i can't understand how i ever lived without one of these, never clogs, just the right amount of glue and a sensible little pin that goes in the top

..and you buy this from a chemist?whats it called "a glue dispenser"?i want one.

yep, a glue dispenser, i have also seen them referred to as a glue pen, it's a white tube thingy, that a tube of glue fits inside, theres 2 knobs on either side that you squeeze, (just one drop comes out) i've seen them around for years and thought they were crap (without even trying it) .... now i can wear my hypocrite cap with pride

Latest posts

Back