Dry blow dry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanning_Beauty

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to offer blow drys in my tanning salon ( no cuts or colour) I don't have facilities as yet to wash hair. Is there such a thing as a dry blow dry ? Or am I making it up [emoji52] thank you

No, is the short answer.
If the hair is dry, you have to use heat (straighteners/curling iron) or chemicals to temporarily break the bonds.

Do you have any hairdressing qualifications as you'd need some kind of certification for insurance purposes?

Sorry to break what bonds ? Do you mean extension bonds ? I'm talking about blow drys

Sorry to break what bonds ? Do you mean extension bonds ? I'm talking about blow drys

Hydrogen bonds are broken down by water so without it you'd need lots of heat/product to change the structure(style)!xx

They do it in Selfridges without washing hair. Will treat myself , my customers can also come with damp hair. My insurance will cover me. Thank you

Hair fibre is made up of amino acids held together by a complex bonding network. Components of this bonding network include hydrogen bonds which are broken by water or heat and reformed by drying or cooling the hair. This is for example how you can get hair to curl by wrapping it while wet, and letting it dry and allowing the hydrogen bonds to reform in the new shape, holding the hair in a curl.

If you try to blowdry dry hair essentially nothing is going to happen. You would have to spritz the hair with water first or, as mentioned, use higher heat such as curlers or straighteners or loads of product to be able to do a dry restyle.

Are you really expecting to use a hairdryer on dry hair? That's what it sounds like and why all the replies are so doubtful. You do not however need hair washing facilities (spray bottles or hot tools could be used) and if you know anything about hair, it is extremely basic knowledge.

I obviously would use a spray to dampen the hair and like I said my clients could come with damp hair . My question was what I should call it ? Which is why I said ' dry blow dry ' it was not meant to be literal. So no I was not expecting to use a hairdryer on dry hair.

I'm not quite sure why you would be offering this? I too read your original post as asking if dry blow drys where a thing? If you think your clients would like it (although you couldn't really offer this combined with a tan?) then give it a go. Do a few complimentary? I know my hair wouldn't manage to be sprayed wet then dried as it tends to make my hair a bit lank, also what would your price point be?

Have been offering it all week with spray tan and going well. They either come with damp hair just washed or I dampen it down. Will offer it in my other salons next week. £35 for both

I'd be very surprised if the staff offering a blow dry bar facility in Selfridges are unqualified hair messers. They wouldn't risk their reputation.

I don't think anyone said they were unqualified?

I work one day a week at a blow dry bar in selfridges and do mobile 4 days a week. It's so frustrating sometimes because you cannot get the same effect blow drying sprayed down hair as what you get when it is freshly washed. There's only so much you can spray it before you just get drips of water all over the floor [emoji85] hope this helps xx

Also You do have to be a qualified hairdresser xxx

Thanks Kate, the girls I have working for me are qualified and do the same as you. Couple of days with me others mobile. Clients are happy with results. Are you busy in Selfridges ?

It's a good combination especially because it's a secure income coming in. Yes it gets really busy, there are always appointments in the book and then you get a lot of walk ins too x

Can I ask from a client's perspective what are the advantages of a dry blow dry?

How do you do this with a tan? Doesn't the water overspray and affect the tan? and when they wash off the tan the hair will get wet?

How do you do this with a tan? Doesn't the water overspray and affect the tan? and when they wash off the tan the hair will get wet?
Works really well, no complaints as yet.

It's a good combination especially because it's a secure income coming in. Yes it gets really busy, there are always appointments in the book and then you get a lot of walk ins too x
Thanks Kate x

Latest posts

Back