Ear piercing babies......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
Don't worry im not planning on getting Lucas' done !!

I just read a thread on another forum about mums getting their babies ears pierced, as young as SIX MONTHS, now aside from whether people agree/disagree with this im just wondering firstly, who on earth would want to pierce a babies ears ?! I couldn't thats for sure and secondly do insurance companies actually cover piercing a child that young ?

Im sure my insurance has a minimum of age 16 for piercing ears. How on earth do they keep their heads still !?

i personally woudlnt do it that young i had mine done at 12 months and think its too young.
i thnk it depends on the person really .......but id more likely to wait until they showed an interest in it otherwise wouldnt really cross my mind..
i dont know why people peirce childrens ears young but alot of of people cant wait to do it..so not sure why

Last edited:
It's very VERY common practice here in Montreal Quebec.
My girls were pierced at 4 & 6mths of age. They hardly noticed and because their coordination was off, they couldn't yank them out as older children might.

I honestly don't understand the fuss. People think it's ok to christen/baptise children, or get boys circumsized...... making 'personal' choices 'for' their children; BUT are against ear piercing? (and while I support circumcision for hygienic reasons... I personally feel it's MUCH MORE barbaric than ear piercing!!!)
So it's ok to make a choice on behalf of the child IF it's involving religion, but not anything else?
People take their children for vaccinations... the kids get stabbed 2 or three times, howling like they've had an amputation instead of a vaccination. Parent's feel it's ok to 'make the choice' to stab their kids. Granted, it's for health reasons BUT the child is not making this choice, the PARENT is.
Again, my thought being: what factors determine it's ok for a parent to make one choice for the child and not another?

Not looking for an argument, just trying to make a point.
If you search, this was discussed some time ago at length (last summer, I think?).

As for why I pierced my eldest child's ears? She was bald as a billiard ball, and needed some femininity. And, it's easier to hold them still to do the 2nd ear at that age, than it would be at 2 or 5yrs of age. Pierced one, popped a bottle into her kisser, and did the other.
They are now 5 & 7 yrs old, and never lose earrings. They leave them alone.

:hug:

I have pierced babies ears within my salon. I only pierce ears and if they are under 16, they have to bring a parent with them and i need their signature.

Mum has to turn the baby's head but tbh its so quick that it tends to be done before they get upset and they get over it really fast. I find this much better than someone bringing in a slightly older child, like 2-3. I think they either have to be a baby or old enough to ask for it, otherwise it can get difficult.

Personally i wouldn't do my children until they asked for it because i remeber getting it done and it being a big thing between me and my mum and something exciting to look foreward to.

I think it's disgusting!
I can't understand why any parent would want to cause pain to their child in the name of vanity.
The child has no choice in the matter.
The parent puts the child through it cos they want it done not because the child wants it done.
Oooh it's one of my pet hates and i hate to see young kids with their ears pierced!

I think it's disgusting!
I can't understand why any parent would want to cause pain to their child in the name of vanity.
The parent puts the child through it cos they want it done not because the child wants it done.
Oooh it's one of my pet hates and i hate to see young kids with their ears pierced!

I could not agree MORE! :)

I think it's disgusting!

Me three, its simply vile. In fact id rock the boat and suggest it almost amounts to child abuse.
I feel the same about circumcision.

Vaccenations whilst distressing for the child (and parent!) are nesercary. Measles/Mumps/Meningitus/polio etc are ALOT worse than a quick prick.

Gosh! This is really an interesting thread!
I didn't realise that cultural norms differ so much!
In Nigeria, the ears of female children are pierced as close to birth as possible, unless the parents decide they really don't want to. In fact if you decide you don't want to pierce the ears of your female children that generates talk.
We don't pierce the ears of male children at all!
Ear piercing out here is really no big deal.
Its normally done by the nurses who use an ear piercing gun, the children use stud earrings plan gold colour and thats that! Done deal!
Why is it done? I guess to really differentiate the girls from the girls really!
Warm regards - Kamsi

I guess I am a disgusting parent then!!!!!! :eek:

My 3 girls all have their ears pierced....ranging from having them done at 3 weeks old to 10 months old.

In Spain it is the norm to have it done pretty much as soon as they are born...so I guess there are many, many disgusting and vile mothers in Spain too...

Ask my girls if they are bothered they were babies when they had their ears done....and all three will say no way!

Were they traumatised when they had it done? Nope...one was alseep through it all...and the other two merely looked surprised...
have they ever had infections? No, never...
Ever pulled them out or interfered with them? No, never...

So maybe you should perhaps ask my girls if I am a vile, disgusting, child abusing mum and they might just tell you otherwise....

I think to throw around those words to those mum's who have their childrens ears pierced is pretty vile and disgusting in itself....but of course you are entitled your opinion....

Oh and as another point...this vile, disgusting, child abusing mum...( can you tell I am ticked off :rolleyes: ) wanted to have her son circumcised when he was a baby...( not going to say why on this forum but lets say something runs in the family )....I was told unless it was for religious reasons then I couldn't....
well the upshot now is I have a near 12 year old who needs circumcising due to the medical/family reason I wanted it done in the first place...
and lets face it....it is going to be extremely traumatic for him now isn't it?
I told him I wanted him to have it done as a baby...and his reaction was why didn't I?

I don't agree with babies having their ears pierced but neither do i agree with comments that parents who do this are vile and disgusting.....(please lets think about the words we use)

I know that different cultures have their own reasons and who am i to say whats wrong and whats right....the thing i have a personal problem with is that the ears of that child belong to that child....even though its your daughter/son.

I wouldn't want anything done to any part of my body that i had not asked to be done....my daughters asked me at about 9 if they could have their ears pierced and i have said yes cos they asked me so they have made that choice themselves instead of me making it for them.

I think most kids when asked "did you mind that i had your ears done as a baby" will say "no"....i don't think it causes any psychological problems in later life at all...i wouldn't have been bothered if my mum had had mine done before i was of an age to ask for it, but its just something i wouldn't do.

I don't agree with babies having their ears pierced but neither do i agree with comments that parents who do this are vile and disgusting.....(please lets think about the words we use)

I agree! One of the mums who comes to my baby massage classes turned up last week with her baby with newly pierced ears. She hadn't wanted it done but her Spanish husband and his family were most insistant because it is the "norm" here. The "reasoning" is that it is very quick to do and because of a new baby's lack of coordination and inability to "fiddle" with their ear, it is done. Also there is a perception that a baby (especially one not blessed with much hair) is a boy baby.

As already mentioned, all cultures are different. The only thing I would say is that babies (as some of you mums may have noticed) do tug their ears (and often suck their thumb or a dummy at the same time) as a means of getting to sleep. There are of course lots of meridian points in the ears.

Just my little contribution. :)

Hi hun. As long as babies have had all of their injections it is fine to do. The last jab is at 6 months,so you cant do it before then.
I have done quite a few. I get the mother to sit the child on her lap. They tend to keep their heads still. They will jump a few seconds after the earing has pierced the skin and gone in there.
I actually think it is better to do it while they are little as YOU can look after it and hey, they don't remember it! xxx

It's very VERY common practice here in Montreal Quebec.
My girls were pierced at 4 & 6mths of age. They hardly noticed and because their coordination was off, they couldn't yank them out as older children might.

I honestly don't understand the fuss. People think it's ok to christen/baptise children, or get boys circumsized...... making 'personal' choices 'for' their children; BUT are against ear piercing? (and while I support circumcision for hygienic reasons... I personally feel it's MUCH MORE barbaric than ear piercing!!!)
So it's ok to make a choice on behalf of the child IF it's involving religion, but not anything else?
People take their children for vaccinations... the kids get stabbed 2 or three times, howling like they've had an amputation instead of a vaccination. Parent's feel it's ok to 'make the choice' to stab their kids. Granted, it's for health reasons BUT the child is not making this choice, the PARENT is.
Again, my thought being: what factors determine it's ok for a parent to make one choice for the child and not another?

Not looking for an argument, just trying to make a point.
If you search, this was discussed some time ago at length (last summer, I think?).

As for why I pierced my eldest child's ears? She was bald as a billiard ball, and needed some femininity. And, it's easier to hold them still to do the 2nd ear at that age, than it would be at 2 or 5yrs of age. Pierced one, popped a bottle into her kisser, and did the other.
They are now 5 & 7 yrs old, and never lose earrings. They leave them alone.

I totally agree with everything you have said. What child will actually grow up not wanting their ears pierced?
My dad made me wait until I was 14 to have mine done. I hated waiting!
The only thing i don't agree with is it being done on little boys xxx

This subject has been done before IIRC and it ended up being less than friendly sadly for the most part.

I agree with Angie that some of the comments levelled were totally uncalled for and offensive, especially as Victoria has already posted by then about her daughters ears. Did anyone making those comments read the other posts before commenting?

Victoria, I agree with much of what you said.

A baby or small child who decides at any stage they didn't want their ears pierced needs only to remove the earrings and the marks left will be barely noticable.

I think each to their own, who am I, or anyone else, to judge others. :hug:

Don't worry im not planning on getting Lucas' done !!

I just read a thread on another forum about mums getting their babies ears pierced, as young as SIX MONTHS, now aside from whether people agree/disagree with this im just wondering firstly, who on earth would want to pierce a babies ears ?! I couldn't thats for sure and secondly do insurance companies actually cover piercing a child that young ?

Im sure my insurance has a minimum of age 16 for piercing ears. How on earth do they keep their heads still !?

In some countries its just a cultural thing I suppose in the same way circumcising baby boys is in others. My Asian friends daughters ears were pierced when she was tiny as were most of the baby girls in the family.

My twins ears were pierced just under 5 and I must admit I never thought that the place I had them done might not be insured, I did have to sign saying I was allowing it though.

I'm glad other people thought it was un-called for to use the words used in some of the posts...
I have actually found it very offensive and think we really must be careful what we say....

I'm all for agreeing to disagree....and I totally respect everyones opinions...but sometimes it can be said in a different way...

I have calmed down somewhat though :lol:

and to add to what Whitewave said....here in Spain a child can be in a pink dress...a pink bow...decked out in a pink pram...but no earrings, then that baby is a boy until it gets some!!!! Hair doesn't even come into it!

I'm glad other people thought it was un-called for to use the words used in some of the posts...
I have actually found it very offensive and think we really must be careful what we say....

I'm all for agreeing to disagree....and I totally respect everyones opinions...but sometimes it can be said in a different way...

I have calmed down somewhat though :lol:

and to add to what Whitewave said....here in Spain a child can be in a pink dress...a pink bow...decked out in a pink pram...but no earrings, then that baby is a boy until it gets some!!!! Hair doesn't even come into it!

I wouldn't worry about it huni. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and some realise that and some don't. We are the lucky people that do! Dont let it wind you up sweetie :hug: xxx

I was 6 when my mum took me for my ears to be pierced I remember it hurting like hell on fire and crying for hours! I dont agree with babies having pierced ears but it's up to the parent at the end of the day (this is my own opinion)

My daughter is 6 now and is asking for them done, My hubby & I think that she is too young just yet and we will consider it when she's 10. she is a fiddler and I'm hoping that she will be out of the stage by then!

It's each to their own at the end of the day
xx xx

P.s just to add I dont think parents are vile because they choose to pierce their childs ears

Last edited:
Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but please think about your wording during posts and try not to be offensive.

I understand that some parents like to have their children's ears pierced when they will not remember having it done. Its not my personal preference but i don't think there is anything wrong with it. Babies react much better than a child of 2-4 IMO and it is no more risky than an older person having it done.

Exactly! This particular baby is SO obviously a girl and her mum dresses her beautifully in girlie stuff.... all pink! The amount of times the baby got called a boy though:rolleyes:

Ear piercing is very much a cultural thing in many parts of the world and whilst it's not for everyone it isn't the worst thing that can happen to a child. Today's news headlines involving wrong doings at a children's nursery... now that's a serious matter!:cry:

Latest posts

Back