Ear piercing babies......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't saying anyone in particualr was vile and disgusting.
I said i thought it was disgusting to get babies ears pierced. That's my opinion and that's how i think.
I realise cultures are different etc.. but to put holes in a baby purely for vanity is in MY opinion wrong.
That is my opinion and one i won't deviate from or apologise for.

I had mine pierced at 7 years old and had no problems really with them. i do ear piercing in my salon,however i don't do alot of it as it is not a thing i enjoy doing. I personally would not pierce a babys ears, not because i disagree with them having it done,i just couldn't do it and i dont think my insurance covers for it anyway, never really checked on babies. i pierced a 15 year olds earlier and did not like doing it at all, so if i dislike doing 15 year olds i know a young child, not just babies (upto around maybe 10) i dont think i could do it!

Hi, well I neither agree or disagree with it , as I do think it looks nice but....
but I will tell you of the experience I had as a piercer from yester year :cry:
I was only around 19 at the time but.... was a fully trained ear piercer with caflon
and a lady came in with her sleeping baby in her arms, baby was around six months old and asked me to pierce her ears for her ,

I pointed out that she was asleep and perhaps we should wait till she wakes up ?
she said oh nooo , just do it :eek:,
I told her I had some reservations as I had not pierced a babys ears before and I told her this ,

the mother insisted I do it as she was booked in (no mention it was for a baby though)
and being young and naive myself without children at that time,

I got on with it and pierced one lobe and the baby woke up crying and looked at me like I was a complete monster , and I felt sooo bad :cry:
she was clinging to her mummy but her mummy was just pushing her baby back at me to do the other one :eek:
I was so upset too , I just couldnt do it :cry:

so the woman marched off in a right huff with her crying baby , and I swore from that day to this I would never do any small babies or kids who cannot speak for themselves ,

not because I disagree with it or agree with it ,

It's just that I could never do it after that dreadful experience
others in the same salon still did it but I just couldnt , :cry:

I would only pierce childrens ears if they were able to talk and acually request it themselves , :) just my experience :hug:

Me three, its simply vile. In fact id rock the boat and suggest it almost amounts to child abuse.
I feel the same about circumcision.

Vaccenations whilst distressing for the child (and parent!) are nesercary. Measles/Mumps/Meningitus/polio etc are ALOT worse than a quick prick.

You're welcome to your opinion, for certain. But that is a gross exageration. I know parents who say "I'll never smack my child, that's child abuse" but the fashion in which they talk to them is far more hurtful and enduring or in some cases, neglect, and IMO that is a form of child abuse that is FAR worse than a smack on the heiney.

I think some people have taken their opinions a bit too far, and haven't considered re-reading their posts before hitting the "submit reply" button.
I'm all for agreeing to disagree, but I like to choose my words with care, to avoid insulting others. If I fail that, I apologize.

Having said that: I know that I'm a great mom. I know that I have a loving and healthy relationship with my children (better than many I know) and I know without a doubt that I do NOT abuse my children. People may say what they like, but I know the truth and it's enough for me.

Me three, its simply vile. In fact I'd rock the boat and suggest it almost amounts to child abuse.
I feel the same about circumcision.
I simply cannot understand how you can compare piercing baby's ears to child abuse or circumcision!!! :eek:

In Spain it is the norm to have it done pretty much as soon as they are born.
Precisely... and nobody is judged because of it here.

At the end of the day it's quite a simple choice, you either choose to pierce baby's ears or you don't.
If you agree that it's ok then go ahead and offer it as a service, if you don't agree with it then don't do it.

i had my daughters done just short of one year old. she was not bothered, more interested with the beaded necklaces on the rails in the shop. she does suck her dummy and play with her ears to go to sleep but never ever plays with the earrings.
she looks absolutley beautiful if she disagrees she can remove them and they will heal. End of no big issue.

Oh gosh some pretty strong comments there, didn't expect it to get so heated :eek:

For those of you that do pierce babies ears does your insurance have any extra requirements, eg forms, parent consent etc, ?

I wouldnt necessarily do it if I had children when they were babies, I was done at four and dont remember it! My sister asked to get hers done for her 7th birthday so I took her to get them done as I was going to get mine done again and I would say I reacted worse than her!!!! she just sat there whilst I jumped a mile (didnt hurt just the noise of the gun). I would wait until they are older but dont disagree with parents who want it done to their babies. I definately wouldnt go to the extreme of comparing it to child abuse :eek:

You're welcome to your opinion, for certain. But that is a gross exageration. I know parents who say "I'll never smack my child, that's child abuse" but the fashion in which they talk to them is far more hurtful and enduring or in some cases, neglect, and IMO that is a form of child abuse that is FAR worse than a smack on the heiney.

I think some people have taken their opinions a bit too far, and haven't considered re-reading their posts before hitting the "submit reply" button.
I'm all for agreeing to disagree, but I like to choose my words with care, to avoid insulting others. If I fail that, I apologize.

Having said that: I know that I'm a great mom. I know that I have a loving and healthy relationship with my children (better than many I know) and I know without a doubt that I do NOT abuse my children. People may say what they like, but I know the truth and it's enough for me.

I knew i wouldnt be popular with my opinion but that is just it. MY OPINION. I wont be apologising for it.

Hi, although I dont particularly like peircing an older babies ears myself as I said in an earlier post, but I do like them done,
just as long as I don't have to do them :smack:

as a piercer I do think that the earlier the babies have it done the better as ear lobes are so very much thinner on tiny babies and it probably wouldnt hurt that much at all as the ear lobes are still very thin and havent plumped up with very many blood capillarys yet,
therefore any nerves there arn't as sensitive ,

many mothers I have spoken too say this is the case and the tiny babies don't hardly flinch ,

I did pierce all my childrens ears ,
but I squoze them first between my finger and thumb until they were white and numb , so they didn't flinch at all

but.... the lobes do go red when they come back to life lol x :lol:
and that's ok , as the lobes of children are usually much thinner and the stud earing is quite roomy front and back and so allows for any swelling

If an older child came in with very plump ear lobes I do not reccomend having the Caflon stud or Studex stud method as there would be no space left for swelling ,
I always suggest these children get gold sleeper peircings instead

If you look at all those gorgeous babies in India with all those piercings its just the normal thing to do in some places
It's no big deal

as long as any parents dont bring me the ones that cry :cry: because they only ever get one ear done :eek: as I am such a push over for tears :hug: lol x

I knew i wouldnt be popular with my opinion but that is just it. MY OPINION. I wont be apologising for it.

Opinion yes...but you know the old saying....best to keep your opinion to yourself sometimes...( or at least tone it down )

To 'rock the boat' as you said and say it near enough amounts to child abuse...well sorry but you 'sunk the titanic' with that one! :eek:

wow guys some strong comments here.....

just to add view... my sister lived in Mexico for years and they pierce baby girls ears right after their born... so i don't see a problem but thats just me.

i have two girls and both of them had the ears pierced at about 6 months. my oldest girl is 12 now and she told me she was happy that i got them done when she was little, as she never remembers anything and she would never have them done now....

so i think i did the right thing.... please don't hate me....but i would rather be there to give them a cuddle then see them go and get there ears done on there own in some back street shop god only knows what way its run... but thats just my opinion.

I never said that you weren't entitled to an opinion.
Nor did I ask (nor expect) an apology for it.
BUT when posting on forums such as this, it might be worth your while to take other people's feelings into consideration (AND the differences in cultures and languages) and choose your words with a tad more care.

You could VERY EASILY have phrased your 'opinion' in a different fashion, getting your point across, without being rude and offensive to other members of these forums. In fact, the way that you chose to express yourself, BEGS for a confrontation (for what reason, I don't know). Completely uncessary.

And by the way, thats just MY opinion and it's not likely that I'll apologize for mine either.

My my:rolleyes::rolleyes: strong words, strong feelings.............
My daughter had her first piercings at 3 years old. She asked, she wanted it and even though she screamed the shop down, she held still while the second one was done:lol:
My son was 11 and he didn't think it was any big deal.
Ok back on track. A friend of mine went to have her daughters ears done and the ear ring went right through her ear. So I would say to anyone doing piercings on children, if the child has thin ear lobes, don't use a gun, use a piercing needle and if you are not set up for that then send them to someone who is.
Next, believe it or not, piercing is not regulated in this country. There is no law at all on body piercing at any age, it is a completely self regulated industry. That said I have yet to meet a body piercer who will do more then belly or ears on someone under 16. It doesn't stop teens from using fake id to get that lip, nose etc done.
I spent many a Monday morning dealing with irate mums who were gob smacked at how conniving their kids were at getting around the shops rules.
So, usually all that is needed is to have the parent sign a consent form but as always if you are going to offer this service, check with your insurance company first.

frankly i think its fabulous...its save me a few times from thinking certain ones were boys!! ROFL...but seriously we cut our boys foreskin off to look like their fathers, as there is NO MEDIACAL reason to do this...its religious or to look like their fathers, no other reason. so what is wrong with piercing our daughters ears to look like thier moms???? just as in doing our sons we do our daughters at an early age for the reason....THEY DONT RECALL THE PAIN!!!!! we subject our sons to possible major infection but god forbid we do the same to girls...and much smaller area and were not cutting anything off, just poking a very very very small hole in a piece of barly there flesh.

PROUD MOTHER OF BABY PIECRED GIRLS!!!!

To pick up on what Susie said....

I am actually quite shocked it isn't regulated...in the UK anyway. I knew it wasn't....but I still find it quite strange and shocking.

I had 2 of my girls ears done in the UK....the eldest over 21 years ago...but I did make sure I went to a reputable place for her to have them done....I did my research ( even at 17 years old I was a Mother who wouldn't have just gone anywhere! ) and I also made sure they had done ear piercing on babies.

I can understand peoples reservations about doing ear piercing on babies and infants, or indeed anyone under 16.
But to me if (as the piercer ) you have taken courses and hold a certificate, you have experience in ear piercing on people over 16, practice safe hygiene and are responsible enough to handle the many scenario's you might come across then I don't see why you shouldn't then extend your services to children under 16.
It's not illegal, it's been happening for years and many children have grown up to be happy, healthy children.

The lady who did my daughters ears here in Spain was so experienced in doing it on babies that she didn't even wake my daughter. It was over in the blink of an eye.

If however you don't agree on it because as a piercer or a parent you don't like to see children or babies with earrings then that is quite simple....don't do it! That is your right!!!!

Hmmmm

I had mine pierced at 13 (mum made me wait)....It hurt like hell !!!

I had both my girls pierced at under 1 year old.......No screaming, no ongoing problems....

I really dont think I abused them......

Hi, I don't understand where the foreskin thing came from :eek: as for there being no medical reason , that's quite untrue, because sometimes there is a medical reason and it has to be done , :hug:

Hi, I don't understand where the foreskin thing came from :eek: as for there being no medical reason , :hug:

I mentioned it in the beginning. I mentioned that some did it for religion (or absolutely no reason at all) so what was the difference between that and ear piercing?

And yes, sometimes there is a reason.
I know of quite a few adults that had to get it later in life due to an infection...... NOT pleasant. They would have suffered less as infants.

Hmm ok....when I worked at a salon it was fine to pierce a babies ears as long as they could show they had all their vaccinations and you took all the details on the record card etc..
It took quite a bit of courage to actually do it but at the end of the day...it's part of the job. I had many a hot sweat in the process but it's the job you take. If you don't want to do it then state as much in your price lists etc.
But FGS don't train to do a job and then say no.
Where's the point in that??

Latest posts

Back