Easy recipe swap

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unas escarlata

Reaction score
I love cooking, but sometimes the easiest recipes have quite a big wow factor. Let's share some favourites - one savoury and one sweet each....

1 250g tub low fat philadelphia
1 250 tub low fat marscapone
2 200g bars white chocolate
9 digestive biccies
25g butter
1/2 pot elmlea light

crush digestives, melt butter and make base, press into a loose-bottomed flan tin. Chill
Melt choc in bain-marie or in microbwave
mix phili, marscapone & elmlea together
add melted choc to cream mix, pour over base & chill

Lovely served with some blueberries or other sharp fruit

1 pack spinach and ricotta tortellini
150g goats cheese
1 courgette, ribboned with a veg peeler
1 slug of chilli paste
a bit of grated gruyere
handful of breadcrumbs

melt goats cheese while cooking pasta, add chilli to sauce
when pasta cooked, drain and put all in a dish mixing well
top with gruyere & breadcrumb mix
grill
yum

My fave easiest recipe is:

Chili Lime Chicken
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast cut into chunks
Olive Oil
Onion
Fresh limes
Chili Powder
Rice or Noodles

Brown the chicken and onions in skillet with olive oil. Add juice of two limes and 1 Tbs. chilii powder. Let simmer for a few mins. Serve over rice or noodles. Even my kids like this.

I use 1/2 to 1 onion, depending on the size and the juice of two limes seems to do the trick. Enjoy! :)

Forgot the sweet:

Trifle
Pound cake or angel cake
Cool Whip
Vanilla pudding
fresh fruit

Cut the cake into chunks. Layer in a bowl; cake, pudding, cool whip, fresh fruit. I usually do two layer of each in a trifle bowl.

The great thing about this is you can do many substitutions; chocolate pudding, add nuts, for adults only, drizzle with liquer. The possibilities are endless. :D

Last edited:
Home Cooking Made Easy started last night on BBC2. Lorraine Pascale is very watchable. Really liked her last series Baking Made Easy. This looks v yummy:-

Creamy Pancetta Pasta with Mushrooms & Parmesan

This dish is a perfect quick-fix solution for a weekday dinner and is one of the easiest pasta sauce recipes I know. Serve with a peppery rocket salad.

Ingredients
400g/14oz pappardelle

100-200g/3½-7oz cubed pancetta

175g/6oz chestnut mushrooms, finely sliced

225ml/8fl oz double cream

75g/3oz parmesan cheese, grated

freshly ground black pepper

Preparation method
1.Cook the pappardelle according to the packet instructions.

2.Meanwhile, fry the pancetta in a frying pan over a medium-high heat for about five minutes. When it starts to brown, add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the double cream. Once the cream is hot, add the parmesan and stir together well.

3.Once the pasta is ready, drain and return it to the pan. Add the pancetta mixture and stir through well. Season with some pepper (I find it does not usually need salt because of the salty parmesan and pancetta).

BBC - Food - Recipes : Creamy pancetta pasta with mushrooms and parmesan

You are all making me hungry lol :) i have a few i will pop up later once i get home x

I made fajitas tonight... SO QUICK & EASY! We have them about once a week as it literally takes 15 mins all in.

Obviously I use a 'dinner kit', either Old El Paso or Discovery, also 2 or3 chicken breasts, 1 or 2 peppers (one red or one red, one green), an onion, a pack of Tex Mex dips (or some guacomole and soured cream, as the kits tend to have salsa in them.)

Sometimes we have grated cheese but that doesn't really add to the time.

So, it takes me about 5-6 mins to chop the chicken, peppers & onion into strips. I chuck the chicken in a bowl with a slug of olive oil and stir in the seasoning then chuck into a frying pan for 4-5 mins. (Med. heat) Add the peppers and onion and continue frying for another 5 or so mins. Meanwhile lay the table inc dips and cheese, microwave the wraps and hey presto, it's all ready to go.

surely there must be more people who would like to contribute...

Lemon, mint chicken

3 chicken breast
2 teaspoon mint dry
2 lemons
4 garlic cloves
olive oil
salt pepper

put the chicken breasts in cassorole dish
add mint, salt, pepper garlic cut up and cut one lemon into wedges place in dish other lemon squeeze onto chicken add olive oil and cook 30-40mins
serve with rice, salad or veg and roasted new potatoes x

I don't do sweet dishes myself, but one of my ultimate favourite dishes is pasta and peas. It's ready in 10 mins :)

While you are boiling some pasta, put a good slug of olive oil in a frying pan, throw in a handful of frozen peas and heat through. When they're nearly ready, add chopped garlic and chilli flakes to taste.
Add the pasta to the frying pan once it's cooked, and give it all a stir to make sure it's coated with the oil.
Serve with grated parmesan on top :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Salmon and Philadelphia

Flaked salmon
Half tub Philadelphia
Salt pepper
Lemon
Chives

Boil pasta
Add salmon to another pan
Add Philadelphia, salt, pepper and chives then squeeze lemon into mixture, keep stirring for five mins then add to cooked pasta.

This is one of my favourites:

Microwave fudge.
This fudge has a crumbly texture rather than a chewy one and is much easier and quicker to make than traditional fudge.

100g (4oz) chocolate (white, milk or plain), broken into pieces
100g (4oz) butter, melted
450g (1lb) icing sugar
45ml (3tbsp) milk
A few drops of vanilla or other flavouring essence (optional)

Method

Melt the butter in a heatproof bowl in the microwave then add the broken chocolate and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.

Stop the cooking time and stir every 30 seconds or so, until all the chocolate is melted.

Add the icing sugar, essence and milk, then mix well.

Heat on high for 4 minutes, take out of the microwave and beat well every minute.
The mixture and bowl will be very hot, so take care.

Leave to stand until the mixture starts to set around the edges of the bowl and becomes thicker, it's ready to pour into a greased or lined, 20cm x 15cm (8" x 6") container.
Tin foil is a good liner as it can be turned out easily after it has set but be careful when following the next step not to cut through the foil.

Allow to set for a few minutes before marking into squares using a knife, leave to cool and refrigerate for approx 30 minutes before removing from the container.

You can place the squares in paper cake cases.

Keep in an airtight container for up to a week.

**I prefer to spoon the hot mixture into cake cases and allow them to cool then I store them in airtight containers.

bread

oven on 180.

2 1lb loaf tins lined

5 cups self raising flour
1 tsp bread soda
3 cups bran
2 cups wheat germ
5 cups low fat milk.

mix well. divide between 2 tins. bake 1 hour + 15 or 20 minutes.....bingo.

yum.

Ha-ha! As if........:lick:

Hahaha I agree, it don't last that long in my house because of the 4 kids but it is VERY sweet so may last in a smaller household :D.

Chicken Curry:

Enough diced chicken for 4 people
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 heaped teaspoon fenugreek powder (also called "methi" in the asian supermarket)
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon asofatedia powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 lemon
3 cloves garlic
2 chillis
3 medium onions
1 bunch fresh coriander
Cooking oil

Slice the onions and fry on a low heat in the oil. Meanwhile finely chop the garlic and chillis and add them to the onions.

Add the salt, turmeric and cumin seeds to the onions and continue to fry on low heat. Dice the chicken and add to the pan.

Grate the lemon zest into the pan, then cut the lemon in half and add the lemon juice. Add the rest of the spices.

Continue to cook on a low heat for about another 1/2 hour, then remove from heat, let it cool and let it stand for at least a couple of hours (if left overnight its best but put it in the fridge)

Reheat on a low heat to serve, and add the chopped coriander just before serving. Serve with rice or chapattis, and natural yogurt if desired.

Sorry I dont do sweet recipes!

CHILLI PANEER

paneer x 2
Red & yellow peppers cut into strips
Red onion cut into strips
Garlic clove crushed
Green chilli sliced
Tomato ketchup
Soy sauce
Chilli sauce

Cut the paneer into bite sized pieces & sprinkle with corn flour.
Fry with a little oil until golden.
Transfer to a bowl and cover with water.
Now fry the garlic and add equal quantities of your sauces.
It really is to your own taste, if you want it hotter add more chilli sauce and so on.

Add the onion, chilli & peppers and cook until soft.
Drain the paneer and add to the pan.

Mix together and voila!

Serve with rice.

Love this, so quick and easy & you can add spinach, nuts etc

Paneer is an Indian cheese quite bland but great for cooking! You can pick it up in most stores

I'm not a desert person but for a mini sweet I cut some strawberries up and add some crushed malteasers for a treat

Latest posts

Back