Employees who smoke

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ella's Tresses

Reaction score
Something interesting had come up in another thread and I'm wondering how other salon owners minimise the effect on clients of therapists who smoke.

I've had a couple of facials myself where the therapists hands stink of smoke or a mani when their breath or uniform smells and it's made me not want to go back to that salon.

As far as I'm aware it's illegal in the UK to discrimate against smokers when considering someone for employment, therefore I don't even ask if someone is a smoker during the recruitment process.

However, I do state at interview and it's written in the code of conduct that staff who wish to smoke must change out of their uniform during their break.

Is this harsh? Other people have suggested it is.

How do other salon owners handle this situation? I'm interested to get ideas on handling this situation.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I do not think it's harsh, you cannot and should not judge your employes on their smoking habits but if their smoking habits result in a bad reputation for your salon then you have every right to take steps to ensure you protect your business. I also ensure that smokers know they do not get any more breaks than non smokers. From
A clients point of view you hit the nail on the head, how can anyone relax during a treatment if the person performing it is smelling of smoke?! X

Something interesting had come up in another thread and I'm wondering how other salon owners minimise the effect on clients of therapists who smoke.

I've had a couple of facials myself where the therapists hands stink of smoke or a mani when their breath or uniform smells and it's made me not want to go back to that salon.

As far as I'm aware it's illegal in the UK to discrimate against smokers when considering someone for employment, therefore I don't even ask if someone is a smoker during the recruitment process.

However, I do state at interview and it's written in the code of conduct that staff who wish to smoke must change out of their uniform during their break.

Is this harsh? Other people have suggested it is.

How do other salon owners handle this situation? I'm interested to get ideas on handling this situation.

In some professions ypu are not allowed to smoke while wearing a uniform, any tags or signs of a company you work for must be covered up.

As a smoker myself and working at the salons with no back door to hide out of the view of my clients, i prefer to cover up my clothes, i go smoke in my car, i brush my teeth afterwards, spray perfume, wash my hands and use a hand sanitizer on top.

I hate accidentally meeting a client ehile having a cigarette, however, some were very surprised to learn that i smoje because appatently they never smelled cigarettes off me..

That is my own policy however, as the salons owner always smokes in the entrance to the salon, she goes through two packs of cigarettes and is nearly 9 months pregnant ... This said she has lost quite a few clients in the long run ..

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

I've posted this comment to both of your threads of this nature. HTH.

You are entitled to ask potential employees if they smoke. Smoking can be classed as a threat to a business and is not discriminative. It is classed as an act of interest. It is your prerogative who you employ! Bear in mind smoking has become increasingly anti-social and is now often frowned upon and rejected by the majority.

I have 30+ employees.

I think employees that wear uniform should cover it up when going for a smoke, I go around the block when I'm at the salon, I use a mouth wash, mints, perfume and hand sanitiser.

If they don't wear a uniform I don't think you should make them change because the uniform represents the salon.
Either way, there's two types of smokers, ones that don't care about the smell and ones that cover it up properly.

You can have an employee that washes their hair once a month and that's just as bad as smoking.

As long as they have a good way of covering the smell I don't think it should bother anyone.

Personally speaking from a non smoker point of view. You can never cover up the smell. Doesn't matter how much perfume you spray. It's almost like a different layer of smell if that makes sense? Like you smell the perfume but still the smoke underneath it.

I smoke maybe 3 or 6 times a day when working.

I always go out the back and make sure its at least 1/2 an hour before the client.

Plus the use of mints, spray, hand cleaning etc

Its the ones that dont who smell of stale smoke.

There is a big difference between smoke and stale smoke.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think ElaineArmani hit the nail on the head. B.O is a much bigger problem in our salon and halitosis (non smokers).

I smoke at work 2-3 times a day (half a fag each time, trying to cut it out ha) and wash my hands, spray perfume, have a drink and use mouthwash before going onto the floor every time. Just courtesy to the client really. I personally wouldn't be happy if an employer asked me to change my clothes after each break, though I suppose it is more intimate as a beautician rather than a hairdresser, and it is your prerogative as owner to think about detriment to business xx

I smoke but I am self employed & mobile... But I wont smoke in my uniform, If I have a break I get changed at home, then tidy myself up, wash hands, brush my teeth, put some nice smelling hair products on. I smoke outside at home so my clean clothes (and house) don't smell of stale smoke.

I tell clients I smoke, but again I've had 'id never have guessed' 'you cant smoke much as Ive not smelt it on you' etc.

In salons I wouldn't be offended to wear something over my uniform if there was a back door to hide outside of... Or to be asked to get changed, wash hands, sort breath out before another client.

I use my e cig in between clients to put me on til I can have a real one!

Xx

Personally speaking from a non smoker point of view. You can never cover up the smell. Doesn't matter how much perfume you spray. It's almost like a different layer of smell if that makes sense? Like you smell the perfume but still the smoke underneath it.

This is my point exactly. spray whatever you like, eat as many mints as you want, I can still smell it.

As for being able to specify non smokers, I wasnt aware of this and I'll certainly investigate the ins and outs for the future. I'd rather not employ smokers full stop.

This is my point exactly. spray whatever you like, eat as many mints as you want, I can still smell it.

As for being able to specify non smokers, I wasnt aware of this and I'll certainly investigate the ins and outs for the future. I'd rather not employ smokers full stop.

Be careful as you will be classed as discriminating.

Plus what if one of your staff members only smoke out of work.

God forbid you have a closet smoker in your salon lol

Lol yep last salon I worked at didn't allow smoking during work hours, I was miserable and quit.
She didn't ask me when she interviewed me, she told me she hated the smell of cigarettes.

At the end of the day, you might have an employee that is a weapon to your business, I think at that time you won't worry about them smoking or not because someone that is conscious about it can cover it up.

There are great smelling hair perfumes out there.
These days ALOT of people smoke so I think that's just your opinion.
I'm a smoker and no one has ever known, I always have perfume on and that's all they can smell, even my clients.

Lol yep last salon I worked at didn't allow smoking during work hours, I was miserable and quit.
She didn't ask me when she interviewed me, she told me she hated the smell of cigarettes.

At the end of the day, you might have an employee that is a weapon to your business, I think at that time you won't worry about them smoking or not because someone that is conscious about it can cover it up.

There are great smelling hair perfumes out there.
These days ALOT of people smoke so I think that's just your opinion.
I'm a smoker and no one has ever known, I always have perfume on and that's all they can smell, even my clients.

Maybe they were just being polite. I'm sorry but it absolutely stinks. Fresh or stale I don't care. I don't want to smell it and I don't want my clients to have it inflicted on them either.

A bit off topic but there's a small hair salon by me with traffic lights outside. The other day I was stationary at the lights and all 3 hairdressers were outside the front doors all smoking. Personally I thinks that's extremely unprofessional, and certainly put me off ever going there to have my hair cut. But that's me, I'm a non smoker by the way.

If you read the original post you will see that I don't discriminate against smokers. However reading others' comments I am going to look into the legalities of discrimination where smokers are concerned.

It can be damaging to business. It's a disgusting habit and I'm amazed by the number of smokers here who seem to be ignoring what the non smokers are saying that spraying and freshening your breath actually just masks it it doesn't get rid of it.

If you read the original post you will see that I don't discriminate against smokers. However reading others' comments I am going to look into the legalities of discrimination where smokers are concerned.

It can be damaging to business. It's a disgusting habit and I'm amazed by the number of smokers here who seem to be ignoring what the non smokers are saying that spraying and freshening your breath actually just masks it it doesn't get rid of it.

Well you must be sensitive to it then. Does everything in life affect you?

How do you cope with todays Health & Safety laws? Do you abide by all those aswell?

There are worse habits than smoking.

There are worse habits than smoking.

Exactly. She clearly is too ocd.

Thank god Britain won the war when it did as it wouldnt stand a chance today with all these brainwashed individuals.

Exactly. She clearly is too ocd.

Thank god Britain won the war when it did as it wouldnt stand a chance today with all these brainwashed individuals.

She???? Rude.

Well you must be sensitive to it then. Does everything in life affect you?

How do you cope with todays Health & Safety laws? Do you abide by all those aswell?

Health and safety laws... Erm well its illegal not to abide by them. Hence they're LAWS so yes I do abide by them. I take it you don't lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back