Employees who smoke

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really really get deeply offended by people saying smokers stink, and need to be managed. I don't drink alcohol, or eat junk food etc etc. I absolutely hate the smell of booze, and I cannot stand chewing gum or sloppy eating habits, it makes me sick.
Horrible words eh?
Can I suggest that people slating the smokers temper their language a little? You're being totally offensive.
I promise that you have habits that make others uncomfortable, but they're just too polite to tell you....

I'm sure I do have bad habits. I'm not aware of any that affect my business though.

sorry if it's offensive to you that I say smokers stink but from my experience it's true. What would you prefer I said?

This was never aimed at anyone in the forum, it's my genuine opinion and I started the thread to find out how other owners handle this with their staff.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

The main problem I feel with smokers is if the smoke indoors. I'm an ex smoker and have friends who still smoke and the only ones who actually do smell bad are the ones who smoke indoors, or live with someone who does. Think about it their washing is hanging out and they are smoking around it. It is drying into there clothes, they are smoking with wet hair and it's going into that too. So for me the problem sometimes is not even that they smoke. But they live with someone who does. Just a thaught x

Things that annoy me about smokers in the salon.
1. If I get a 10 minute break in the day I am at Reception with a coffee or out back listening for the phone. They are outside leaving me to hold the fort, answering the phone etc and having to leave my client.
2. The smell is offensive. I am trying to eat my dinner, I have 4 minutes or so before my client walks in the door when 2 staff members walk in from a fag break. Yuk.
3. There is no hiding the smell. I have news for you, as a forner smoker, mints don't work!
4. I find it embarrassing when I leave my client to see to reception because someone's client has walked in amd I then have to try and find the stylist to let them know that their client is here, only for the client to say "oh its ok I saw him/her outside on my way in"
5. Apparently my saying "I am taking my coffee outside" is me being "difficult and petty". So the smokers are allowed a break but non smokers are not?
6. Now luckily at the salon I am at this doesn't happen but at a former salon we found smokers were more inclined to monopolise apprentices. I would desperately need an assistant but they would be shampooing for a smoker because the smoker was "having a fag".
7. Statistical smokers have more time off for illness, I am not making this up. The figures are there for all to see. Plus I remember being a smoker and every cold going to my chest or lasting much longer than the non smokers.

I am pretty sure that you are allowed to specify that you operate a no smoking policy during working hours, after all you can specify a "no mobiles except on breaks" so why not a "no smoking with in 0.5miles of the salons entrance or whilst wearing salon uniform" policy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm sure I do have bad habits. I'm not aware of any that affect my business though.

sorry if it's offensive to you that I say smokers stink but from my experience it's true. What would you prefer I said?

This was never aimed at anyone in the forum, it's my genuine opinion and I started the thread to find out how other owners handle this with their staff.

Not to worry don't get stressed out, it can affect your business, I went for a facial before and their hands really stank of smoke, i appreciate its everybody's own choice and that's fine, but I never went back to that salon, it just wasn't a nice experience, half my plessure of a facial is the lovely aromas of the creams and potions. I agree there are lots habits that people don't like, like chewing gum ect. In every job I've ever had we would get into a lot of trouble being caught chewing gum or eating in front of clients, I don't think it should be any different with smoking, of course smoke if that's what you want to do, but you have every right to politely ask your staff to get changed, wash hands, brush teeth ect.just like I would if I hate a smelly lunch :o Its in my old NVQ training book so thats how ive been trained Xxxxxx :D ps. I smoke

Last I checked eating McDonald's didn't affect other peoples health or comfort?
I don't care if people smoke, I do after I have had a few, but I genuinely think that SOME smokers are very selfish and care more about their next fix then say helping a team member who has fallen behind due to a client being late

Why is it snobby? I have friends who smoke and family who smoke. I have nothing against smokers. I just don't see why I should risk losing business because of somebody else's bad habit? It's good business sense not snobbishness!

You are! Your looking into ways to bypass potential staff if they smoke. Discrimination!

Surrey Girl through and through x

They just get on with it.

If I can do it legally then yes I would... If the law recognises that it could be damaging to business then I would.

Seems strange to me that you're objecting to this so strongly yet by your own admission you don't follow health and safety laws.

I do not and would not do anything illegally.

You are! Your looking into ways to bypass potential staff if they smoke. Discrimination!

Would you employ someone more likely to suffer illness and have time off sick? Someone with a heroine addiction perhaps? After all nicotine is harder to kick and more addictive then heroin

If I can do it legally then yes I would... If the law recognises that it could be damaging to business then I would.

Seems strange to me that you're objecting to this so strongly yet by your own admission you don't follow health and safety laws.

I do not and would not do anything illegally.

I do follow some but the majority are ridiculous. Anyway, even if it was legal you would still be discriminating against smokers.

Would you employ someone more likely to suffer illness and have time off sick? Someone with a heroine addiction perhaps? After all nicotine is harder to kick and more addictive then heroin

Drugs are illegal. I would not employ a drug addict. 2 of my staff smoke.

We still remain the best in our area and our book is always filled.

I smoke and 3/4 of the girls in the salon where i work even my manager says we never smell of smoke unless we've just walked in from one and in all the years I've been there I've never heard one client moan theres 25 of us and were fully booked all day i think theres wanting to set a professional standard and trying to interfere with there personal lives just set a rule that u cant smoke during working hours

I smoke and 3/4 of the girls in the salon where i work even my manager says we never smell of smoke unless we've just walked in from one and in all the years I've been there I've never heard one client moan theres 25 of us and were fully booked all day i think theres wanting to set a professional standard and trying to interfere with there personal lives just set a rule that u cant smoke during working hours

I think that is fair enough. You can't control what people do outside of work be that smoking or making themselves obese by gorging on McDonald's, but a no smoking during work hours is pretty reasonable. After all you probably woyld take offense at me leaving you in the salon on your own 5 or 6 times a day to get my junk food fix

Your point is moot and has no practical relevance. If it's legal it's not considered unfair discrimination.

Perfectly legal :)

Attachments

• 1403303569384.jpg
    1403303569384.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 164
I'm just glad I don't rely on this forum and these sort of comments to run my businesses.

Words fail me.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm just glad I don't rely on this forum and these sort of comments to run my businesses.

Words fail me.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

And to whom are you referring? :)

They just get on with it.

Sufficed to say that if that was your answer to my original question, perhaps you should have said so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back