Employees who smoke

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Drugs are illegal. I would not employ a drug addict. 2 of my staff smoke.

We still remain the best in our area and our book is always filled.

Surrey Girl through and through x

You employ two drug addicts. Nicotine is a drug.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

It was a general comment not aimed at anyone Nearlyme. :)

Let's put this into perspective. There is a human rights act, ageism act, disabled act. ... Please someone tell me where the smoking act is? Smoking is governed by legislation. If it was socially acceptable we would still be able to smoke in pubs and offices. .. In every business, time is money, allowing staff to smoke in working time is classed as a privilege to some and a dispensation to others. It is not discriminative in any way to ask potential employers if they smoke.

Your numbered post was very true.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I honestly believe you are thinking to much into it, if you have staff that smell, if that be of smoke , b/o,bad breath or to much perfume, then just tell them. What staff do on THEIR break as NOTHING to do with you. Smoking is part of society nothing you can do about it, ALL therapists should be washing their hands before and after every client, regardless if they smoke or not. You may feel a therapist that smokes does not give the right image, but what about the therapist that is larger than a size 8/10 , would you employ them ? What if one of your staff starting gaining weight, would you bring that up ? nobody wonts a massage or brow wax from someone who s hands stink of smoke, but neither would they wont a body wrap or diet advice from a size 12 therapist. Would you wont a Brazilian from an over weight size 14 waxing expert , how on earth could someone that size be expected to advise your client on what looks good ? Would you wont a size 16 therapist doing your make up, what kind of image is that giving ? TBH i find your post very very offensive , just like my observations above !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do not worry about if your staff smoke or not , just worry about how well they work. p.s. I DO NOT SMOKE & NEVER HAVE.

I honestly believe you are thinking to much into it, if you have staff that smell, if that be of smoke , b/o,bad breath or to much perfume, then just tell them. What staff do on THEIR break as NOTHING to do with you. Smoking is part of society nothing you can do about it, ALL therapists should be washing their hands before and after every client, regardless if they smoke or not. You may feel a therapist that smokes does not give the right image, but what about the therapist that is larger than a size 8/10 , would you employ them ? What if one of your staff starting gaining weight, would you bring that up ? nobody wonts a massage or brow wax from someone who s hands stink of smoke, but neither would they wont a body wrap or diet advice from a size 12 therapist. Would you wont a Brazilian from an over weight size 14 waxing expert , how on earth could someone that size be expected to advise your client on what looks good ? Would you wont a size 16 therapist doing your make up, what kind of image is that giving ? TBH i find your post very very offensive , just like my observations above !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do not worry about if your staff smoke or not , just worry about how well they work. p.s. I DO NOT SMOKE & NEVER HAVE.

TBH i find your post very very offensive , just like my observations above !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

Why would anyone write that their own observations are offensive!

Just about sums this thread up.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Not here to start a cat fight or anything here by saying this, (I'm not an employer.... But I am a smoker, I'm not ashamed, I am trying to quit, but it doesn't help when nicorette have stopped manufacturing there best product!!)

To the people who are going on about 'oh you employ drug users/ addicts'....
So you wouldn't say people who have a few glasses of wine every night not using drugs??? Last time I checked alcohol is a drug, addictive too.

I really wouldn't pick and choose who you employ based on whether or not someone smokes. You really could lose the opportunity to employ a great therapist this way.

I don't think people should be allowed smoking breaks, but on their lunch there's nothing you can do. By all means ask them to change out of their uniform and ask them to smoke away from your premises. Ask them on their return to clean up, wash hands, spray etc. as anyone should be doing after lunch and before treatments begin.

I would imagine it's not pleasant having a facial if someones fingers smell of smoke, but hopefully washing hands, using a nail brush should help.

I really don't see it effecting your business to quite to the extent you believe it will. Putting measures in place to help reduce the smell of smoke should be all that you need to do. Don't over think it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Should I not be doing make up and waxing as I'm a size 18?

Should I not be doing make up and waxing as I'm a size 18?

I think you misread the post. The poster used overweight people scenarios to prove how ridiculous it all was to discriminate overweight people and to by extension smokers. The poster says so at the end.

Here's the ending:

" TBH i find your post very very offensive , just like my observations above !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do not worry about if your staff smoke or not , just worry about how well they work. p.s. I DO NOT SMOKE & NEVER HAVE."

Hth

Last edited:
I really don't understand why smokers are so villainized these days...

Not here to start a cat fight or anything here by saying this, (I'm not an employer.... But I am a smoker, I'm not ashamed, I am trying to quit, but it doesn't help when nicorette have stopped manufacturing there best product!!)

To the people who are going on about 'oh you employ drug users/ addicts'....
So you wouldn't say people who have a few glasses of wine every night not using drugs??? Last time I checked alcohol is a drug, addictive too.

I don't give myself extra time so I can be sure to get a wine break

You employ two drug addicts. Nicotine is a drug.

Its a legal drug!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

A size 12 overweight???? I'm a size 14 & a perfectly healthy weight with a healthy bmi - hell I'm sometimes a 16 due to my massive boobs. But I'd never say I was overweight at this size!!

On the subject of smoking I personally hate the smell but we have a girl that smokes but she never smells of it! In my previous life in an office one of my colleagues was constantly on a fag break. So I started taking fresh air breaks. I got pulled up on it - she didn't. The boss just couldn't see my point that she was away from her desk 10 mins out of every hour & that it wasn't fair to the rest of us!

I can't believe how ridiculous this has got.

I'm going to be blunt. If you smoke the likelihood is that you smell of it and don't even realise.

If I hate it then I expect my clients do as well.

The weight comparison is the worst possible comparison anyone could have thought of. Pretty pathetic attempt at making your point. A size 16 girl doesn't smell offensively and doesn't breathe fag breath on you or rub her smoky fingers in your face and if someone did my want a body wrap off someone because they're overweight then they're pretty blooming shallow.

The sarcasm was lost in translation here.

It is my business what my girls do in their break if it affects my business.

I have nothing else to say on this thread because very few people have actually answered my original question and just been rude.

If you've nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

this thread is full of people in denial.

If you smoke you are damaging your health, you know this
You are damaging the business you work for whether yours or not, I stopped going to a hairdresser because she smelled of smoke, her hands did and her clothes/hair did.
At college i wouldn't model for smokers because the smell masked the nice smell of products.
Basically smokers are irritating to fellow workers due to their assumption that they have an absolute right to their breaks to feed their addiction.
I'm sorry if this is not palatable to smokers but people who don't smoke feel that you lack discipline and trying to make clients look nice is hypercritical as you are ruining your looks.
Trying to make clients smell nice is hypercritical as you smell bad.
Health and beauty is the business you are in and you don't promote it.
But there will always be fellow smokers to treat.
There. NOT just my opinion.

this thread is full of people in denial.

If you smoke you are damaging your health, you know this
You are damaging the business you work for whether yours or not, I stopped going to a hairdresser because she smelled of smoke, her hands did and her clothes/hair did.
At college i wouldn't model for smokers because the smell masked the nice smell of products.
Basically smokers are irritating to fellow workers due to their assumption that they have an absolute right to their breaks to feed their addiction.
I'm sorry if this is not palatable to smokers but people who don't smoke feel that you lack discipline and trying to make clients look nice is hypercritical as you are ruining your looks.
Trying to make clients smell nice is hypercritical as you smell bad.
Health and beauty is the business you are in and you don't promote it.
But there will always be fellow smokers to treat.
There. NOT just my opinion.

I had a dentist who I stopped going to because the smell of smoke on his hands, even through gloves!

I can't believe how ridiculous this has got.

I'm going to be blunt. If you smoke the likelihood is that you smell of it and don't even realise.

If I hate it then I expect my clients do as well.

The weight comparison is the worst possible comparison anyone could have thought of. Pretty pathetic attempt at making your point. A size 16 girl doesn't smell offensively and doesn't breathe fag breath on you or rub her smoky fingers in your face and if someone did my want a body wrap off someone because they're overweight then they're pretty blooming shallow.

The sarcasm was lost in translation here.

It is my business what my girls do in their break if it affects my business.

I have nothing else to say on this thread because very few people have actually answered my original question and just been rude.

If you've nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.

Its nothing to do with you at all unless they are getting paid breaks.

Clearly you are another typical left wing individual which are destroying this country.

Go back to your Guardian newspaper!

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

You always make things personal. It is possible to have a debate without stooping to personal insults.

I thought left wing were against discrimination? If so the op has now been accused of being a discriminative left wing, guardian reading bigot....couldn't make a bigger oxymoron. She can't be both....unless I'm wrong and lefty's are now the right and rights are now the left....it's too early for this to be going around my head haha ☺️

I thought left wing were against discrimination? If so the op has now been accused of being a discriminative left wing, guardian reading bigot....couldn't make a bigger oxymoron. She can't be both....unless I'm wrong and lefty's are now the right and rights are now the left....it's too early for this to be going around my head haha ☺️

So funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back