Eyelash tint on an 11 year old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have treated 11 year olds for different things but I would not tint their eyelashes. IMO, I just don't think it is appropriate at that age.

Where i live lots of 11 year old girls who are in primary 7 have their hair coloured and have spray tans for dance shows etc. Its unrealistic to expect girls not to experiment with make up and hair colour and all the other fun stuff. Believe me if i could keep my daughter wrapped in cotton wool i would but there's always a big sister or cousin somewhere who they want to be like.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Where i live lots of 11 year old girls who are in primary 7 have their hair coloured and have spray tans for dance shows etc. Its unrealistic to expect girls not to experiment with make up and hair colour and all the other fun stuff. Believe me if i could keep my daughter wrapped in cotton wool i would but there's always a big sister or cousin somewhere who they want to be like.

I agree with that also but from a professional point of view it's different, family and friends can do what they like to their children but a pro doing treatments on children such as eye lash tinting I feel is wrong xx

and growing up far too fast for my liking. Time fly's to quickly as it is and I want to enjoy my little girl being just that 'a little girl for a couple of more years at least. I know when she gets to secondry school things are going to change big time with hormones, mood swings etc. Children should be children. That's my opinion anyway.:biggrin:

She was the oldest girl at the party too, so all the other little ones will be thinking wow I want make up on, and getting the wrong ideas lol

(sorry don't know how to double quote on this iPhone)

xx

I agree. When I was 11 I was in my first year of secondary school, and I had plenty of make-up that I'd play around with. I don't have kids - let alone any 11 year olds - but if I did, I think I'd actually prefer that they'd tint their eyelashes rather than caking on mascara and other make-up.

i agree with lilla if you dont do it then she will go elsewhere.....

also i think we all need to forget about what we were all allowed to do when we were younger as its a different age now and kids are alot more grown up whether we want them to be or not,

im not saying i would promote or encourage tinting on 11 year olds but as long as the parent is present and you get a disclaimer signed i cant see the problem x

^ They could just go buy a tinting kit in Superdrug or Boots, and probably do more damage doing it themselves. It isn't necessarily the parents giving the children the make-up, they could quite easily be going and buying it themselves.

If my insurance said yes then I would probably go ahead with it. As already said if one salon says no another will say yes.
If I felt the 11 year old wasn't keeping still I would promptly remove the tint and the session would end.
I think it's down to the individual to make their own decisions in what treatments they carry out on what ages.
If you're not comfortable doing something then don't do it. I would rather tint an 11 yr olds lashes than her go and get a DIY kit from superdrug and risk getting products into her eyes through lack of care etc.

For God's sake she is just 11... check the number again before saying it's ok to do that! Applying tint and chemicals near the eyes of a child?!!

I once had a 13 year old girl whose mum was pushing her to get her eyebrows done, she started crying after 10 second. I asked her to leave my chair and told her mum I'm not doing this. But her mum is a brainless woman, her daughter in that age has bleached blonde hair and always full of make up...

I personally believe it's parents fault that most children nowadays are walking in the street wearing provocative clothes and look like clowns with all the make up on their face, then they wonder why they get raped or come home pregnant!

If a child is being bullied it's another story though.
Let children be children and encourage them to focus on their studies, sport, art etc. other than their look. There is always time for that. Why should a parent give mascara to an 11 year old child in the first place that they need to replace it with tint???

If all salons say No to them then where they can go? They have to wait till it's the proper age for that type of treatments.

I can not believe we are talking about an EYELASH TINT here and you manage to bring up rape in the conversation!!! WTF?!?!

People have different opinions on this subject of an eyelash tint on an 11 year old, however, I think some of your comments are unnecessary and uncalled for IMHO! Sorry!

I agree, this is getting a bit ridiculous. People think nothing of letting their kids stuff their faces with takeaway, fizzy juice etc which is so much worse than a little beauty treatment. Massive overreaction from the poster talking about rape!

It is definitely an emotive subject and everyone has their own opinion when it comes to the subject of younger children and you just have to watch Toddlers and Tiaras to see it taken to extremes.

For me the question is, aesthetically why does an 11 year old need her eyelashes tinted? I am amazed at some of the blase replies about it but I respect the fact that everyone is indeed entitled to say what they like and also do the treatment if their insurance allows it. As a spa owner I just wouldn't allow it in my place whether the insurance said yes or not, which I bet it wouldn't being the land of the look at me the wrong way and I will sue you culture!

Last edited:
For God's sake she is just 11... check the number again before saying it's ok to do that! Applying tint and chemicals near the eyes of a child?!!

I once had a 13 year old girl whose mum was pushing her to get her eyebrows done, she started crying after 10 second. I asked her to leave my chair and told her mum I'm not doing this. But her mum is a brainless woman, her daughter in that age has bleached blonde hair and always full of make up...

I personally believe it's parents fault that most children nowadays are walking in the street wearing provocative clothes and look like clowns with all the make up on their face, then they wonder why they get raped or come home pregnant!

Let children be children and encourage them to focus on their studies, sport, art etc. other than their look. There is always time for that. Why should a parent give mascara to an 11 year old child in the first place that they need to replace it with tint???

If all salons say No to them then where they can go? They have to wait till it's the proper age for that type of treatments.

Women, girls etc do not get raped because of what they look like, or how they dress, victim blaming much? Go and educate yourself on the subject before you go spouting rubbish like that again, words can not describe how sicken I am by your post

I agree, this is getting a bit ridiculous. People think nothing of letting their kids stuff their faces with takeaway, fizzy juice etc which is so much worse than a little beauty treatment. Massive overreaction from the poster talking about rape!

agreed ! I know this is off topic but I was attacked at that age - without a trace of makeup or poragative clothing! Completely awful comment

I've just spoken to my insurance and there isn't anything to say i can't do the tint on her daughter if i have parental consent and have done the patch test. So now its my choice whether i do it or not. Apparently she has had them done before and wants them done again as she has a photo shoot on monday.
I no girls of 11 start to use make up at that age, i'm pretty sure i started wearing mascara in the 1st year of secondary school. I have a 7 year old daughter who loves all things girly but i dont think i would do her eyelashes at 11.

I don't think it matters how you dress or come across, NO one deserves to be raped. Ever.

i think this thread has been blown completely out of proportion!!

every child is different and matures at different stages, some earlier ,some later, i think it is not for us to judge a parent for letting her child do things but just to advise, at the end of the day we are the professional here, we can only advise if the treatment is suitable. if a client or her daughter wants to have it, what is the problem??

Agreed Souz.
We all have to make our own minds up about what we feel comfortable doing as far as treatments go but some of the posts on this topic are over the top.
Anyone who has a daughter around high school age knows everything is a battle of wills. So if a simple lash tint means she doesn't go to school looking like a goth then what's the harm?
Lets be realistic, it stings the same as shampoo in the eye and its as likely to get in an adults eye as a child's. Total hysteria to suggest childhood is being stolen by doing this!
Im done on this subject, but for those still living in the 1950's, happy chatting!

The reason i wouldn't do it would be because i believe that when you expose children to certain chemicals too young they are more likely to develop allergies which as we know when it comes to hair tints can be quite severe.Their bodies especially at that age are full of raging hormones and i think they need to settle down a bit.Look what can happen to pregnant women due to hormones ie patchy tans,allergies rashes etc.

Let them wear a bit of mascara on certain occasions, as a lot of stopping them wanting to go the whole hog is compromise.Sometimes just explaining why and saying not yet is the answer.

I have a friend who's daughter is a dancer and she not only has a VERY dark fake tan but also eyelashes and make up like you wouldn't believe - whilst her mum is supportive it's her daughters choice to do the dancing and sadly with that comes the "look" - she tends to go with the obviously fake lashes with feathers or bright colours to match her costume and she certainly doesn't wear them out! But I know she has her eyebrows waxed and she's roughly the same age.
I think as the therapist it's up to us to make the decision about whether to treat or not - if for one second we thought the child was NOT happy or willing then we should have a duty to say no. If the child is happy and excited about it and clearly is a willing participant to the treatment then I'm not sure I see a huge problem... I'm not lash or tint trained and I'm not sure I would be happy doing those on an 11 year old - purely because of the potential issues with glue next to the eye and them understanding being still etc... but that would be a judgement call I think.
As for what children or women look like when they go out... NO-ONE ever asks to get raped - not through action, dress or manner - and even so, I doubt slightly longer lashes and neat eye brows are going to be a deciding factor for any predator out there.
Would I wax an 11 year old? Maybe - but I would have to make a call depending on the individual child and the reasons why... what if an 11 year old had a monobrow - imagine the taunting of other children, if the child wanted the brows waxed then yes I'd do it (with parental consent obviously)

I dont think there is any problem treating a 11year old especially if shes coming in with her mum/parent/guardian.

Id like to put my twist on things, if this child is being bullied for maybe excessive hair, or bullied for albino lashes, or whatever mean things kids come up with these days. I Would be glad shes come to a professional, rather than her mum give her a try with the tint kits in some supermarkets.

Shes coming to a professional, what seems to be the problem??? Apart from the individuals who seem to think that their children are not exposed to puberty. Its natural process that you unfortunaly cannot sheild your children from. xoxo

Latest posts

Back