fan shaped nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Lou

Scatty Blonde Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

Last night I did a full set on a new client, it was a surprise from her boyfriend for valentines, how sweet .

Anyway getting to the point she has slightly fan shaped nails, I've added a pic for you to see (by the way she wanted this much white), she wanted them squoval, but I think they look sort of unbalanced. How do you go about doing fan shape nails, I've searched but no luck. She absolutely lurved them but me being fussy thought that they still looked quite fan shaped, Can this be disguised or should I have suggested maybe an oval shape for her nail. Please help for future reference Im still learning lol

Attachments

• jess.jpg
    jess.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 13,357
hiya sarah
i would have tapered them in....hard to explain. Do you remember on your conversion when deborah set about your nails and took them in a bit...?
hth but probably not a lot!

I beleive you must cut/file the nail neat to the free edge and tip them and shape into an oval shape - I know Marian Newmans book the Complete Techician has a section on this... hope this helps

NB: I saw a client for a manicure recently and her nails were really strongly fanned and she would not let me cut them down to try and detract from the shape - so they still looked fanned! i think she quite liked them like there were

As Louise said, oval is the better shape, however, if she insisted on the square shape, I too would have tapered the sides in.

Are they white tips or white powder?

Hi Lou

This is an answer I gave to a post about fan nails a while back might help.

OK I will try to help, try to choose a flater tip to avoid any stress being put on the nail by a curved tip, if the tip is still to curved to fit on the nail without pressing flat, use a wider tip and file the sides to fit correct width.
When shaping the free edge the sidewalls need to be tapered to compensate for the wider edge.
An oval shape is better for this shape of nail as the base of the nail is usually oval........but square can be acheived by making the parallel sidewalls taper slightly towards the tip of the free edge.
Hope this helps.

Take care Dawnie xx

Hi

I have a picci of someone with fan nails who also insisted on squoval in my gallery. They arnt perfect as it was my first go with brisa. But take a quick look anyhow it may help.

Latest posts

Back