fibreglass problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score
Hi everyone... I'm looking for some help with a couple of problem nails.
I went to see a client today and found that she had some problems with bad lifting on 2 of her nails.
the lifting wasn't around the cuticle where you would expect to see it but further down her nail, on one nail in particular it was halfway down the nail plate and on one side of her nail more than the other. (hope I'm explaining this clearly enough).
she has gone 3 weeks from application of full set of fibreglass extensions to her rebalance.
I had one client recently who didn't have her nails rebalanced for 4 weeks and didn't have any lifting at all so I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what I might have done wrong OR what she might have been doing that could have affected them like this.
If any of you have any ideas I would really appreciate it.
Sandi

Sandi, I don't do fibreglass but lifting is a problem that you get with all three systems so I'll relate it to gel. Ruth (Nailsinlondon1) is the lady to get answers for fibreglass.

If the nail has lifted at the sides like you say, it could be one of two things either you have gone too close to the side wall with your product, this prevents a perfect seal allowing air and moisture to get trapped underneath and cause the lifting. Or she has knocked them which has caused it. Or it could be your prep (damn that's three things lol), but chances are it would have happened with all the nails and not just these two.

If the lifting is actually in the centre of the nail, ie there is no lifting at the sides, then with gel this is a shrinkage or pocket lift. I get this when the gel has aged as the product shrinks and so causes the lift, but I don't know if it happens with fibreglass, would be interested to know thought to add to my knowledge.

Hi ya

Im not an expert cause im having probs at the mo too but sometimes if the problem is further down the nail side could it be where the tip has started to come away at the side where maybe it was attached to the side wall and where the nail has grown has dislodged it!!! I dont know but i do get this sometimes and i assume it is that. (does this make sense!)

susie x

Ooh, sounds like there could be a little selection of problems here from both posts, including the ones Sassy has answered.

The sides of the nail plate need prep as much as the cuticle area. It is also possible (I have seen it a few times) where cuticle (the true cuticle not the eponychium or nail fold) has grown half way up the nail and is not visible until 'found' by a cuticle tool. leaving any cuticle on the nail plate will result in lifting. When you are used to using your cuticle tool you can 'feel' if there is cuticle there as it feels different from the nail plate.

Tips shouldn't touch the side wall. This means that they are either too wide, wrong shape (e.g. too flat for 'c' curve of the natural nail) or haven't been blended properly.

An overlay (of any system) that is too thin around the edges can lift as the nail plate flexes and pulls away

few more possibilities I hope girls?

Marian

A couple of other things to consider as well:

Depending on what a client is doing with her fingers, some clients put allot of 'torque' pressure on certain nails. Torque is twisting and young mums and women who work in clothing shops put considerable amounts of torque pressure on some nails because of constantly doing up buttons, zips, fiddling with prams and push chairs etc. You get the picture. Ask what her work is and how old her children are.

Depending how you apply your resin can also make a difference. If you are working with a nozzle, it is all too easy to flood the sides a little which will cause this problem ... much easier to control with a brush-on system but even then, one can make mistakes on the odd nail. Control is everything when working with EC resin.

Geeg.. I think you might have cracked it... she is left handed... the worst nail is her left hand middle finger and also her left hand first finger. maybe torque pressure is whats happened as I usually have problems with my 'main hand' nails. I didn't think of that before :o

I was very careful with prep and having had 'tip' problems in the past I've tried my utmost to get the best fit possible when applying tips, paying careful attention to the sidewalls etc.

I'm due to go back and see her tomorrow so I'll have a chat with her and see if it can be a mixture of being a mother/housewife (which in general gives nails a battering lol) and also the nozzle application of resin. I do have brush on resin so I'll give that a try instead of the nozzle.

Thanks for the replies girls :hug: ... definately given me something to think about.
Unfortunately I had to get my son from school (poorly) at the beginning of her nail appointment and she was lovely enough to not mind me leaving her in the lurch, a quick 2 coats of resin to the 3 nails I'd buffed to keep her 'intact for 2 days' and I was on my way. Fingers crossed it all goes well tomorrow, I'll let you know

Sandi

Do let us know.

Some people are just plain more heavy handed than others and go at everything like a 'bull at a gate'.

Others (like my mother, rest her soul) always did everything, whether it was stirring the soup or making a bed, gently and beautifully.

It is so important to get the relationship with each and every client that helps you to learn HOW they use their hands. Makes your job so much easier and you can customize your work to each client.

I'm really pleased to tell you that my rebalance appointment went really well today. We had a chat and decided not only using a nozzle for the resin but also the length of her nails have gone towards the lifting... she said that after I'd left from applying the full set she did think that the nails were too long but didn't have time before christmas to get me back to shorten them... the "torque pressure" probably helped the lifting process.
I did my first "proper" french manicure finish on her nails, after telling her that I wasn't confident using the white, and the result was fab, she was really pleased and I was over the moon.
Thanks again for your help and pointers, I'd be lost without you all :hug:
Sandi x

Latest posts

Back