Finding lashing so difficult I start sweating

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi I am finding lashing so difficult I start sweating and shaking and can't isolate or get lashes on.
In work we have the worst tweezers ever, b curl lashes 0.07 9_15 millimetre and j curl, 0.20, 9_15.

I only did my coarse use in November last year and I am totally rubbish. I try to explain about sizes of lashes and adhesive but nobody is listening, it's taking me forever to do a set.
I don't know what to do :(

It sounds like you need better tweezers and practice.:)

I trained in lashes last year and it really does take practice and patient clients. I ran an offer for the first few months to get the practice. A good set of tweezers def helps. I don't think a lot of money has to be spent on them though, I got some from Lash base and love them. Don't put pressure on yourself time wise. I still take 3hours for a set of volume. Who did you train with? Xx

I did a one day course with with a training academy in Gilmores. They don't do any after care or trouble shooting, I emailed the trainer but I haven't had a reply.

I just can't do it, I am making an absolute mess of every set!

THAT COURSE SOUNDS RUBBISH.

Why didn't you do research about who you are giving your money to before the course.

Keep going and keep practicing! Dont give up:) i used to take 3hrs to do a full set of lashes and i can now do a natural set in 1hr! Everyone has different timings and it takes a long time to get the hang of lashes!

It was booked by my employer and I didn't know any difference. I found it therapeutic and loved lashing when I first did it but the more I am doing the more I can't do it. The lashes i am supplied with don't suit every body and people want a totally different idea to what I can give them. For instance a client was booked in yesterday with long strip lashes on I had to do a set of lashes on her in an hour and half. Remove make up and glue from strip lashes, get all my kit ready, settle her down after she made a load of phones called telling her boyfriend where she was.
Her lashes weren't strong enough for the 0.20 but 0.70 were lost on her but she wanted the glamour look 15 millimetres I only do individual. I have no seperating tweezers only two pairs of foot angled tweezers. Her lashes kept bending so I used 9mil on her instead that seemed to hold but I am still not happy they looked awful. I advised to go without and grow them and we can look into ordering the right lash for her but she can't go with out lashes.

I need to tell my boss that the equipment I have is not enough and different lash sizes, thicknesses and varying curls to suit different people and achieve different looks but I don't know exactly what I need. Any advice would be helpful.
I don't want to do another set and do a poor job.

Firstly, you lost time due to her not being prepared. My clients get a set amount of time, if they choose to have that time eaten into with makeup removal etc then that's their problem. Tell future clients to come makeup free and ready, no chatting on the phone etc. Also, you def need a wider range of tools and lashes. No tweezers to isolate means you're not going to get a good set in anyway. You can get tweezers in sallys or from lashbase etc so if they won't supply any get your own. Tell them to get more lashes too. I keep 0.07 for volume in a c curl from 8mm to 11mm, I also have b and c curls in 0.15 & 0.20 for normal extensions. I have these in lengths 8mm-13mm although I probably only go up to 12. Remember you're the expert. I have a client who always wants the longest lashes....I use 8-11 and tell her they're the longest and she is happy. As far as I'm concerned they're the longest her lashes will take and that's that! :) aaaaaalso it takes practise! Don't beat yourself up, get the right equipment then do some friends or family members. Put an offer on and explain it may take a little longer. You'll get there!xx

Did another set today they were much better than what I have been. I picked up a pair of seperating tweezers on way to work. I was pushed for time as client didn't remove eye make up properly even though I handed her eye make up and then a bowl of hot water her eyes were caked in mascara so I had to do it again. I only had j curl 0.20 9mils available but thankfully she had nice thick lashes.
I'm working from the back of my hand gluing the lash strips to my hand and a glue ring on my index finger. I'm right handed finding the right side easier to work on when I switch over to the left I can't get the right angle and the outer comers of her eye lids were heavy so I couldn't quite get to the lash line I tried to tape the lid up but I still couldn't get the lashes as close as I would have liked. I rolled a towel up an put it at the back of her neck so her head is arched back the room was very warm and the sensitive glue was curing really fast.

We have Marvelash in work and I have just done a search and I can only find the j and b curl and thicknesses we have in work. I thought they did different curls in varying thicknesses?
There's a few pots of loose lashes with Chinese writing on but I don't know how to use those and don't want to.
Where can I order individual lashes with different curls and thicknesses to suit everyone?

I use lashbase for lashes, they're great quality and fair price. I also use their glue! You definitely want a range of lashes, my most common set use b curl with 8mm-11mm at 0.20. Use YouTube to help if needed! I'm right handed and also struggle getting the angle for the left eye but move the clients head slightly if needed and move your chair if needed. If you speak to the clients be one their appoints tell them to arrive makeup free. That way they get more lashes time!xxx

There are lots of companies out there. Personally I never use over 0.15 thickness and I hardly ever use b curls. I use mostly C, CC and D curls and some L+ curls too.
Clients need to arrive with clean lashes. I always clean my clients lashes anyway to make sure they are clean. I use Lash and Brow cleanser from Lash Factor and use disposable lip wands to clean and then give them a lash brush to clean their lashes with and retail them some lash and brow cleanser. The longer you spend cleaning their lashes the less time you have to infill them and they'll soon get the message.
I use the angular tweezers from Lash Factor for isolation although the ST 17 are popular too. Here's a couple of link for tweezers and cleaning products,
http://www.lashfactor.co.uk/category/tweezers
http://www.lashfactor.co.uk/category/lc-eyelash-brow-cleanser

For the neck I use a travel pillow :)

Hi
Since writing this post back in March I am much better. Thank you everyone. My nearvs are totally fine and I am much faster. I did a lovely set yesterday I was really pleased with them. I'm a bit firmer with clients and eye make up and aftercare and if clients insist on having individuals done for holidays or if they are eye rubbers and I know they are going to lose more lashes than they would when they come back for a regular infill, I tell them that I will treat them as a new set and they have to pay for the extra time and book them in accordingly. I am starting to practice different techniques and lash mapping, becoming more creative and understanding what a client wants and achieving it to the best of my ability. I fell so much happier now doing lashes and I am looking forward to improving more. There is still lots that baffles me like my fast set adhesive wil not adher sometimes and I have to switch to sensitive and that acts like the fast set? Even though temperature and humidity is fine.
I would love to start using flat lashes to give a fuller look and go on to do volume lashes in the future. So once again thank you. Jo. Xxxx

It does take time lovely, but I would recommend staying away from the B and J curls I trained with them and I never use them only a C and D Curl, of course everyone is different but I find they give the best result. Also I trained with two straight tweezers which I just couldn't get my head around so now I use one straight (to isolate) and one curved (to apply and position the extension) just stay calm, focused and avoid caffine before a client, if it helps get a fan to cool you. Just dont give up! X

Sorry you feel this way. I can only encourage you that it will get better.

We all start from somewhere so it will not always be like this.
You have learnt the basics in your course so build up on it so it doesn't go to waste.
A few tips

1-
Buy a mannequin to practice on it will help your confidence + speed
2-
Follow Lash Artist on Instagram to inspire you and you will end up doing sets like the ones you see
3-
Join support private Group on FB Lash Tribe, Lash UK Obsession -greqt for sanity + a good laugh +tips

Research
Here is what I found that helped me a mixture of watching video , reading blogs + applying it
Lash Inc journal is great for info and industry info.

https://issuu.com/louiseprunty/docs/lash_inc_-_issue_14_-_content__comp

Free subscription

5-
Tools
Buy Vetus range it's brilliant.
ESD 17 - to isolate
ESD 15 - To pick up
ESD12 - Straight great to have as a spare to check work afterwards

Supplies
Clear or Vol1 Glue is great from Eyeluvlashes
Eyeluvlashes are brilliant (no affiliation)
-Silk lashes 0.15,0.12 (it's good to mix to get a full&fluffy set)
Length - don't go longer than 13mm or it looks spidery. (The shorter the fuller eg. 8-12mm is great)
Flat lashes 0.15 for dramatic look without added weight
Curls - CC D (ditch B or J)

Isolation

Placement /Direction

Styling
http://www.bronzebombshellbeauty.co...our-eye-shape-eyelash-extension-styling-guide

https://goo.gl/images/Ml7Bqm

Retention

Adhesives /Retention
https://www.thelashandbrowcompany.co.uk/blogs/news/39049220-lashqs-eyelash-adhesives

https://thelashchickpro.com/blogs/news/78053892-retention-101

Good luck as long as you isolate safely it's up to you how you lash. xxx

Sorry to join/interrupt the thread but jbx, thank you for the specifications on tweezers above! I have been searching this site for ages! Lol.

Going to be doing my first case study on Saturday, so nervous as when training i found it really difficult as my hands are quite small and they started sweating and sliding all over the place! Fingers crossed it will be okay! I'm going to keep practicing on the training lashes, but i can't seem to get the right sitting angle!

Are there any lefties out there that found/are finding it really difficult?! Or does anyone have any advise? I was looking forward to my course for ages but trying it on the day made me think i don't know if i'm able to do it, that is normal right?! Lol
xx

You're very welcome! Information is EVERYTHING in this industry.Happy to share it.

I used to use straight tweezers until a few months ago so glad I made the switch.

Good luck , I'm sure you will do well!

Latest posts

Back