Flames over black enamel.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAOH

jog jog jogging
Reaction score
Sorry for the question but my lady this evening wants flames on her nails and as I don't do much nail art, wanted some advice.

I was originally goingto use black gel (for the entire nail) and then orange gel over the top, but I don't think she will want this permanent design for the next two weeks.;)

My question is, if I painted her nails with blank enamel, would I then paint with top coat and wait to dry, before, using art paint for the flames, or only use the top coat after:o

Also any tips on how to produce flames. Looking at my attempts this morning, they are looking more like orange swirls:cry:

Hi

Good luck thats the first thing as flames are not the easiest of things to paint well not free hand anyway unless you use acrylic paints are they are water based so you can play with them a little more than stripping pens. Anyway i would paint the nail with enamel first let this dry then i would use my acrylic paints (no i'm fibbing i would airbrush them) let that design dry and then top coat them. I hope this helps, but i know theres hundreds more or here with lots more experience than me that might no a better solution.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hey there
There is a good example of what you're looking at doing on www.nailpro.com in one of the archives with instructions on how it can be done!

Good luck hun
Rachel xx

tab said:
Hi

Good luck thats the first thing as flames are not the easiest of things to paint well not free hand anyway unless you use acrylic paints are they are water based so you can play with them a little more than stripping pens. Anyway i would paint the nail with enamel first let this dry then i would use my acrylic paints (no i'm fibbing i would airbrush them) let that design dry and then top coat them. I hope this helps, but i know theres hundreds more or here with lots more experience than me that might no a better solution.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't think flames would be so hard:irked:, I now wished that I'd told her that flames were "so not in"!!!!!;)

Will let you know if they look a hit or a miss.

x

rachel_1984 said:
Hey there
There is a good example of what you're looking at doing on www.nailpro.com in one of the archives with instructions on how it can be done!

Good luck hun
Rachel xx

Thank you Rachel, I'll have a look.

plaoh said:
Thank you for your reply. I didn't think flames would be so hard:irked:, I now wished that I'd told her that flames were "so not in"!!!!!;)

Will let you know if they look a hit or a miss.

x

Well i suppose you could decided what type of flames they are when you've finshed!! Log Fire or Forest Fire. lol

All jokes aside you'll do fine, but i know how you feel i've got my first pamper evening party tonight and really nervous. So all i'm taking is my basic nail art as examples just in case i fluff it up. lol

I've just had alook at the nailpro site (so many, haven;t found the flames yet), and now I'm really scared. I was so pants at art at school.

Good luck tonight Tina.

hope you do ok the step by step is in march 2002 i think

hiya
I do flames all the time for my daughter shes a bit of a rock chick..I do them like this... paint the nail with the black varnish allow to dry then get your nail art paints in whatever colours you are using say red yellow and orange and load your brush...then using the red paint a quite thick stripe at the tip of the nail then orange next to it then finally yellow.....next take a dotting tool or something similar and starting in the red drag through the 3 stripes of paint upwards towards the cuticle..i do it about 3-4 times..allow to dry then topcoat..hope that makes sense I`m rubbish at instructions...hth

kaznails said:
hiya
I do flames all the time for my daughter shes a bit of a rock chick..I do them like this... paint the nail with the black varnish allow to dry then get your nail art paints in whatever colours you are using say red yellow and orange and load your brush...then using the red paint a quite thick stripe at the tip of the nail then orange next to it then finally yellow.....next take a dotting tool or something similar and starting in the red drag through the 3 stripes of paint upwards towards the cuticle..i do it about 3-4 times..allow to dry then topcoat..hope that makes sense I`m rubbish at instructions...hth

Have you any pics of this????

Keep practicing

funny you should ask because i was having a play with my dotting/marbling tool the other day. and i made flames!! pure fluke!

i painted the 2 colours onto the nail then just swirled the one colour up and the other down (if u get me)

In your case i would put the orange/red/yellow on the tip then black behind it, and just drag the orange upwards and the black down (into the orange) have a go see what happens.

Only prob is that u can put the polish on too thick!!

What a disaster, but at least Sam (my lady) and I had a good laugh.

Before we started, she showed me how her previous tech had done flames. We did a couple of dummy runs, before I started her rebalance. To be honest I wasn't looking forward to doing them, then half way through the appointment she starts to laugh!!!! She'd just rememeber that the other tech airbrushed them. NO WAY, would mine look anything like them lol.

She then decided on black enamel with silver over the top, still very effective.

Thank you for all your replies concerning this. Although I never managed to produce a good set of flames, it has inspired me to practice more with nail art. Just because I'm not a lover of it, is no reason for not being able to do it!!lol

xxxxx

Hi,
I realise that you have seen your client already but what I would suggest is if you are painting over black or any dark colour and wish to get the colours etc as true as possible, paint your outline in white first, then block all the area that is to be colour, then go over them in the colours needed. I'm not sure if this makes any sense.:confused:

Cheers

Well this is what my lady had last night, she chose the nails from an old nail art board Id done ages ago.
Not exactly flames...just a few squiggles really but, its what she wanted.
Thank heavens she'd changed her costume ... originally she'd wanted me to do mummy nails with googly eyes! :eek:

Attachments

• Halloween 290.jpg
    Halloween 290.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 92
Those nails are Fab!

Absolutely Gorgeous !!

might just have to pinch that idea, hope you don't mind Glo :D

Latest posts

Back