French Manicures Question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lollipop

Reaction score
Finally figured out how to make my smile line smile and not frown...Hurrrayyy!! (thanks to Gigi tip of using a brush and nailfresh to tidy up any mess!!) Im really happy to do them, just have one question.....When a client comes in has quite long nails but maybe 1 or 2 are shorter than the others, how can I make all the tips the same?? (without using tips or sculpting) and without filing the others down the same size. Is it acceptable to have 8 fingers looking the same and the odd 2 looking smaller?? The clients that it has happened to seem happy but I just think it looks daft. What do you gals do??

I would have thought that you would file the others a bit shorter to make them all look a bit more even?

OOOpppppss forgot....also what do you do if the client has higher than normal natural smile lines??? Had one in today she had cream puff on her tips but as she had really high lines I brought the smile line down to where I thought it should be...was i right??? I thought it looked a bit silly??!!?? Oh if only all clients had normal nails!!!!LOL

Lollipop said:
how can I make all the tips the same?? (without using tips or sculpting) and without filing the others down the same size.

Erm, you can't! You have to do one or the other - either create false tip or file longer nails down.

If I get clients in for a manicure, they often have one nail shorter than the others (always the way, you grow then for a special occassion and one breaks right beforehand!) so I always offer to sculpt a tip so the nails are the same length. Clients are always really impressed I can do this and they get nails all the same length.
If this wasn't an option, and the shortest nails were very short, I suspect most clients would put up with this looking a bit odd, rather than have you file all other nails right down.

Lollipop said:
Finally figured out how to make my smile line smile and not frown...Hurrrayyy!! (thanks to Gigi tip of using a brush and nailfresh to tidy up any mess!!) Im really happy to do them, just have one question.....When a client comes in has quite long nails but maybe 1 or 2 are shorter than the others, how can I make all the tips the same?? (without using tips or sculpting) and without filing the others down the same size. Is it acceptable to have 8 fingers looking the same and the odd 2 looking smaller?? The clients that it has happened to seem happy but I just think it looks daft. What do you gals do??

Good question iam new to nails too and i have often thoujght about this well done saves me asking now he he

If you want to create the illusion of a longer nailplate (IOW as you said placing the white where you want it to be rather than where it is, I do it like this:

1. Squeak the nail
2 Apply one thin coat of Creative Stickey Base Coat
3 Apply one thin coat of Creative BEAUX (my favorite colour) or Negligée
4. Apply one coat of your favorite Creative white (2 if you must)
5. Apply another coat of BEAUX or Negligée
6 Apply Creative Super Shiney Top Coat or Out the Door to finish
7 Spray with Solar Speed Spray

This will camouflage the natural smile line and create a lovely illusion of length.

geeg said:
If you want to create the illusion of a longer nailplate (IOW as you said placing the white where you want it to be rather than where it is, I do it like this:

1. Squeak the nail
2 Apply one thin coat of Creative Stickey Base Coat
3 Apply one thin coat of Creative BEAUX (my favorite colour) or Negligée
4. Apply one coat of your favorite Creative white (2 if you must)
5. Apply another coat of BEAUX or Negligée
6 Apply Creative Super Shiney Top Coat or Out the Door to finish
7 Spray with Solar Speed Spray

This will camouflage the natural smile line and create a lovely illusion of length.

I did a similar thing when giving a bride a French for her wedding. Her smile line was right down her nail plate towards the cuticle area so I raised it to where I thought it should be and used a pink shimmer over the French to hide her natural simle. She was pleased with the results and I though it was a huge improvement.

hi
For weddings i have done the odd sculpted nail to bring them to the same length if one has just broken.I cannot abide different length nails!!!!!!.... and tell my clients that we can create the illusion of a longer nail by carefully placing the white nail tip just at the tip, giving the appearance of a longer nail bed.
As i remind my clients, its nail enhancements, and i am enhancing the look and illusion of their nails.
I had one young client who had been nail biter all her life!!!!After coming to me fortnightly for treatment manicures she had kicked the habit and grown her own nails, but as you all know the free edge is very high up the nail bed, and is a give a way as an EX biter!!!
I gave her a french manicure, using a creamy base and off white tip, but painted the white tip at the very edge of the free edge.
The end result was beautiful, you would never have known this girl had been a nail biter, she had perfect short manicured french nails,but the illusion of the nail bed having grown to the tip of her finger was what had made such a difference.
Our job is to enhance.... andclients need to trust that we are able to do this .

...I try to get the client to have all her nails cut or filed to a similar length. I think un-uniform nail length (some short and some long) looks ugly and unsightly. Short nails can look pretty if they are all the same length and shape. Once the nails are all neatened up the client usually agrees and after all they will soon grow back.

As for smile lines I usually follow the smile line of the natural nail.

HTH.

Kx

Latest posts

Back