fungal nail dilemma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laneypants

Reaction score
Hi, I have done a search but cant find the answer i need....

I had a lady ask if i could do anything to disguise her fungal toe nail for a wedding she is going to. So I have offered to airbrush a french polish which will work a treat, however should i dispose of the base/top coat I use on her or will they be ok?

laneypants said:
Hi, I have done a search but cant find the answer i need....

I had a lady ask if i could do anything to disguise her fungal toe nail for a wedding she is going to. So I have offered to airbrush a french polish which will work a treat, however should i dispose of the base/top coat I use on her or will they be ok?

Personally, I wouldn't even touch it but I would say ANYTHING that comes in contact with the fungal toe should be binned. Better safe than sorry.

Yes you should really not touch it!

Caz xxx

Elaine hope I'm right in what I'm saying here.

When is this wedding and has your client gone to her GP?

If there is time, maybe the infection would be cleared, and you could use the small mini bottles of base & top coat if still concerned about spreading the infection. That way you would not have to much waste, but as was said you really should not go near it.
Refer your client to her GP if she has not done so already.

If it's a fungal infection it will be under the nail (presuming it has been diagnosed) and is very common.

She really needs it covering if she wants to wear sandals and there is no real reason why not. If you are worried, why not ask her to bring her own base coat. You should use your recommended top coat to seal the design so use an old brush and throw it away. Her own top coat could go over that.

Don't be too scared of skin and nail conditions. Knowledge and understanding of what they are, what can be done (or not) and how to avoid any contamination is so useful for a tech as clients so often need extra help with things like this.

mum said:
If it's a fungal infection it will be under the nail (presuming it has been diagnosed) and is very common.

She really needs it covering if she wants to wear sandals and there is no real reason why not. If you are worried, why not ask her to bring her own base coat. You should use your recommended top coat to seal the design so use an old brush and throw it away. Her own top coat could go over that.

Don't be too scared of skin and nail conditions. Knowledge and understanding of what they are, what can be done (or not) and how to avoid any contamination is so useful for a tech as clients so often need extra help with things like this.

Thanks all, she is having treatment for it but from what she said she has had it for some time and her GP told her it takes 5 years to clear up. However the wedding is not until September so maybe it will have improved by then.... its funny though that the only people who seem to want their feet touching is people with fungal infections!!
thanks again

It takes an average of 18 to 24 months for a toenail to grow completely out. If sh is on medication she should see improvement with in 3 to 4 months, but it still has to grow out. Most GP's (at least over here) don't make much of a fungal infection on a toe nail, and consider it a cosmetic concern.

A fungal infection under the toe nail can be picked up by having the nails too short and walking around bare foot in public areas, beaches, showers, or wearing sandals. there is some great information at www.DermNet.org that shows all kinds of pictures and gives brief descriptions of occurance and treatment.

Lamasil also has some great information on their website. Lamasil is a prescription treatment for nail fungus.

You should be able to polish her, but as mentioned if you have concerns, use disposeable items and wear gloves.

mum said:

Marian, I am finally plucking up the courage and going to perform pedicures. I know there is a lot I need to learn to be able to perform a good pedi, and especially when I can and can't perform a treatment (ie I would not have worked on the above condition). Can you recommend a good course that would cover this?

I did a one day training with LCN but feel it only equipped me with the basics, and I'm not too impressed with the way they teach beauty at my local FE College (from personal experience). I really want to master this one but don't know which way to turn to get solid education.

HEEELP!

Hi Sas

Tricky question! Knowing good training is so difficult as it totally depends on the teacher whatever the syllabus requires.

If you really want to provide an excellent pedicure service have you thought of doing a chiropody course? There are some short ones and some home learn courses that, as long as you don't believe you will be an experienced chiropodist (as these are State Registered) the subjects learnt would be invaluable to a good pedicure.

I think this is a good mixture if the emphasis remains on a pedicure; it just takes it that bit further.

Oh my lord - chiropody!! Blimey you're really getting me out of my comfort zone!! Okay, I will look into this. I think a lot of my phobia with feet is to do with fear - they have so many more problems than hands and I just don't have the confidence or knowledge to cope with them as well as I ought. Thank you for your help as always.

mum said:
If you really want to provide an excellent pedicure service have you thought of doing a chiropody course? There are some short ones and some home learn courses that, as long as you don't believe you will be an experienced chiropodist (as these are State Registered) the subjects learnt would be invaluable to a good pedicure.
That's a good idea, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have the extra training. If anyone comes across any home learn courses that look good, I'd be interested in that. I don't have time to commit to a weekly course :sad: but I do love to learn new stuff!

Latest posts

Back