Gel finish a little dull sometimes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandy121060

Supporting breast cancer
Reaction score
Sometimes when i´ve finished curing, I wipe off the excess tacky residue with finishing wipe and it looks a little dull. Why is that.?
Is there a really nice finishing wipe out there or do I NOT cure long enough.

Presuming that you are using a wipe off solution that is tailored to the brand of gel you are using the actual wipe should not make a vast difference

Are you making sure to use a fresh wipe for each hand? Tacky residue building up on the wipe can be transferred back to the nails and give them a dull look.

What gel are you using?

I am using my wipe once over one nail and then turn the wipe over to do the next nail.
Sometimes it happens to go dull and sometimes not. Strange. Thats why I think it may be the cure time being a little different on each nail.
Sherry

I'm racking my brains trying to remember what my training manual said. I think if your nails aren't clean before you apply the gloss layer this can make them dull, what I do is when I have buffed one hand, I apply the gloss layer rather than buffing both first and then applying. This way your client doesn;t have the chance to scratch her face, run fingers through her hair etc and get grease back on the nails.Also, if you don't apply it quite thick enough then it can look a little dull. Like I say I'm trawling the depths of my memory for this one as I dont get any probs and so haven't had to refer back to my manual for a while!

I think you might have got to the root of the problem, I do put on thin layers. Thanks for that I will try and put it on a LITTLE thicker.
I never thought of that. Thanks a lot.
I LOVE this site dont you?
www.nailetc.tk
Sherry

mandy121060 said:
Thanks a lot.
I LOVE this site dont you?
www.nailetc.tk
Sherry
I sure do! Although I think addicted is a better word, my girls think I should go to Geek- anon! lol

One other thing about the finishing gel getting a little dull...Try to rubb the gloss gel to the nail instead of just brushing because after filing the nail gets very dry and dusty and the gel doesn't adhere as well.
One other thing that may be happening is your bulbs not being at top shape. The uv rays get weaker and don't cure the gel as it should.
Hope that helps. Have had that same problem too.

Hi

I used to have this problem with the finishing/gloss gel. I've fixed it now so it NEVER happens.

I put a layer of gloss gel on ... not TOO thick - just a good layer, then I cure for 20 - 30 seconds under the lamp - then I put a second layer on and cure for the full 90 secs (or as per your manuf. instructions) - the glossy finish is perfect NO dull bits whatsoever ... in my opinion that extra bit of gel and 20-30 secs really is worth it!

Vicky

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. Im gonna try them next time on myself first. See if that fixes the problem.
What gel do you all use and finishing gel and finishing wipe etc. I have found some really nice gel but I was hoping to find a named product that was really good and has a good rating so I could buy all my stuff the same brand name. I live in Spain so its difficult to get english stuff here. and when you buy something here its trial and error.
Sherry

Hi sherry, I live in Portugal and I work with 2 brands. Professionails and Akzentz.
Professionails I get here in Portugal, we have a representative in Lisbon and another in Barcelos. As for Akzentz I make my orders with Deb at Justnailz from Canada and they get here in a week.
Both brands are excellent! But Professionails has everything from gels to accessories. :) Hope that helped.

Just on a side note: Dullness is a symptom of an undercured gel. ;)

Just didnt want you to think that couldnt be the case :)

I definatleythank the problem would be thinkness of gel. I try not to make the nail look like a HAMMERHEAD.
Thanks for all your posting your a great help.
I LOVE THIS SITE. I'm addicted too. First thing in the morning and last thing at night you can catch me on here, with intervals of course, but as soon as I return home, BACK ON AGAIN.
Sherry
www.nailsetc.tk

Are you saying that its because the gel is too thin? I am not sure how that could make a gel look dull. If anything, doing it thicker will increase the risk/amount of undercuring wich will increase the dullness.

Glad you dig the site ;)

THANK YOU THANK YOU.
Its so good to have so many advisers on one site.
All willing to share their valuable experience.
Merry Christmas to you all.
Sherry

Hi Sherry, LCN is a good gel sold in England and internationally! comes from Germany www.beautyconcepts.co.uk and as for dull gel finish one thing not mentioned is your brush, cleaner in the brush contaminating the product, wipe the brush with a dry swab before top coat applied. good luck. DebsX

Latest posts

Back