Gel nail repair percentage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steph4rose

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone know what percentage of thier business of gels doesn't last to the point you get a complaint? I am new to the industry and want to understand what percentage of gel fails would be class as normal?

You should be looking for perfection, not complaints! The percentage of complaints you receive depends on the quality of service you offer. As far as I’m concerned, any grumble that’s warranted is not acceptable!

Hi all, does anyone know what percentage of thier business of gels doesn't last to the point you get a complaint? I am new to the industry and want to understand what percentage of gel fails would be class as normal?
If youre concerned about your work not lasting, dont fret just yet as you have just started. Even techs that have been doing them forever in a day have occasional lifting or an odd one "popping" off. Though not ideal ofcourse, but depending how clients treat their hands sometimes its unavoidable on your part. My colleague has been doing gels for over a decade now and still sees a short lasting nail or 2 now and again. No one is perfect but we do all try to be

Thanks Go Girl, obviously I am not just not looking for perfection or I wouldn't be writing this post I was asking for advice from other experienced nail techs and appreciate your response. I take it so personally when someone comes back in first week with a chip and can' get my head around if its me or them, I just want to know if this is normal for having only just started in business. I have spoken with Gelish and my college and I know I apply well, maybe not the best but good enough and I have clients my nails last on for the 3 weeks without chipping. I just wonder if those experienced techs find that you do get a small percentage of clients where they chip within first week and if this is normal or if later down the line I shouldn't really see this!?

Hi, Its completely normal to have some clients pop in and "complain" in your salon time. All you can do is reassure them that this normally doesn't happen and offer to fix the nail / chip. Gelish is an amazing product and one that I would highly recommend for long lasting results. Everyones nails are different and some people last longer than others. I have had one lady last 9 weeks!! (with obvious growth) and some only 1 week. Later down the line you will begin to see no complaints overall as long as you keep practicing and practicing. Hope this helps! x

You sound like me about 13 years ago, I used to get so upset and beat myself up all the time. I couldn't understand why some people's nails lasted ages and never chipped yet some couldn't seem to go a week without a chip or break, yet I was doing the same on everybody!

Provided you're confident your prep and application are spot on, realise and accept that once you've done their nails and they leave you, it's up to them to a degree to look after them, oil them, avoid harsh chemicals and cleaners (you should be recommending this in your aftercare ) not bite and pick and not use them as tools to unscrew things and bust open boxes. Then there's the way they use their hands. Some people are so heavy handed !

The other thing that will have a bearing on longevity is the condition and strength of their natural nails. A nice strong dry nail esp if a bit dry and ridged, and anything you put on it will hardly budge given normal wear. But a weak and wobbly nail will have so much movement in it, it will constantly be trying to separate from product and will benefit hugely from a flexible overlay under Shellac etc to bolster it up a bit, a bit more costly for the client but worth it because it will last much longer, and a better advert for you!

Just do what you can, give the right advice and forget xx

You sound like me about 13 years ago, I used to get so upset and beat myself up all the time. I couldn't understand why some people's nails lasted ages and never chipped yet some couldn't seem to go a week without a chip or break, yet I was doing the same on everybody!

Provided you're confident your prep and application are spot on, realise and accept that once you've done their nails and they leave you, it's up to them to a degree to look after them, oil them, avoid harsh chemicals and cleaners (you should be recommending this in your aftercare ) not bite and pick and not use them as tools to unscrew things and bust open boxes. Then there's the way they use their hands. Some people are so heavy handed !

The other thing that will have a bearing on longevity is the condition and strength of their natural nails. A nice strong dry nail esp if a bit dry and ridged, and anything you put on it will hardly budge given normal wear. But a weak and wobbly nail will have so much movement in it, it will constantly be trying to separate from product and will benefit hugely from a flexible overlay under Shellac etc to bolster it up a bit, a bit more costly for the client but worth it because it will last much longer, and a better advert for you!

Just do what you can, give the right advice and forget xx

Love this [emoji2]

Wow thanks Blossom I really appreciate your reply! I am absolutely beating myself up if something goes wrong! I started in Aug and have done around 60 sets of Gelish fingers (excluding toes) of which 6 (over 5 people) I have had a request for a nail repair. I feel like 10% is really high but as stated that across 5 people as its happened twice on one person. I literally feel like I want to give up every time as clearly I am no good but then I have clients come back and have 3 weeks wear and I keep going. I know I lack in confidence, and I know I lack in expertise of every colour because I bought in so many so fast to set up that I haven't had chance to practise every colour before using on clients. I just want to know that this is normal and that in a years time I will feel better and not be beating myself up. I know I need to get better but also grow a tougher skin but so hard when there are such amazing nail techs posting stuff online and I always compare myself yet they have probably been set up/experienced by 10 years plus on me! Anyone else that can provide honest advice / experience of setting up would really help me and thanks again Blossom!

Wow thanks Blossom I really appreciate your reply! I am absolutely beating myself up if something goes wrong! I started in Aug and have done around 60 sets of Gelish fingers (excluding toes) of which 6 (over 5 people) I have had a request for a nail repair. I feel like 10% is really high but as stated that across 5 people as its happened twice on one person. I literally feel like I want to give up every time as clearly I am no good but then I have clients come back and have 3 weeks wear and I keep going. I know I lack in confidence, and I know I lack in expertise of every colour because I bought in so many so fast to set up that I haven't had chance to practise every colour before using on clients. I just want to know that this is normal and that in a years time I will feel better and not be beating myself up. I know I need to get better but also grow a tougher skin but so hard when there are such amazing nail techs posting stuff online and I always compare myself yet they have probably been set up/experienced by 10 years plus on me! Anyone else that can provide honest advice / experience of setting up would really help me and thanks again Blossom!

Well I don't think 6 repairs out of 60 when you've only been doing nails since August is bad at all! Also, there will always be some clients who don't follow aftercare advice, or are heavy handed or who just can't keep gel polish on as long as other people. You obviously take great pride in your work and obviously care about doing the best you possibly can to keep your clients happy and any decent client will acknowledge and appreciate this.

I started doing nails and beauty again a couple of years ago after quite a long break and I used to really beat myself up about how slow I'd become and that I didn't feel I was producing the results I used to produce first time round but the more you do, the more you perfect your skills. I also find Salon Geek invaluable for tips, advice and support!

Latest posts

Back