Gel peeling help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Ok so my problem is that my gel is peeling. And rhinestones popping off with gel top. With foundation as a base. I’ve seen many videos where they spray airbrush then gel top coat. What am I doing wrong that this isn’t working for me.? The pic shows airbrush. Top coat chrome and another top. It all came off please help. Can’t offer gel til I at least get this right

Attachments

• 941893C8-B42E-422F-8294-45E394810582.jpeg
    941893C8-B42E-422F-8294-45E394810582.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 78
maybe try using a ph bonder on the natural nail first. It removes oils on the nails

For rhinestones I'm not sure on your application.. but perhaps set them in a thicker gel then seal with top coat. I use akzentz bling on and seal with gelish top it off. For chrome seal with a semi hard top coat. I use gossip strengthen gel then use a regular top coat that goes with the system I'm using.. hth if you want help with whatever products you're using perhaps include detailed steps on what you're doing

Last edited:
never heard of spray airbrushing. but then again i don't think i've understood properly. what is it that you airbrushing? gel? can't imagine that happening.
Describe your steps properly and we might be able to help you

Since I’ve been you tubing myself to death since this post. I’ve changed things a bit. So step by step.
Apply a set of acrylic tips (which now I do not buff beyond s 180 grit file.). I am however a tech since early days lol. So I filed by hand only. I do get all residue off the nail bed then I have customer wash. Then I swipe with alcohol to cleanse nailbed. Then airbrush the nail with desired color then gel top coat. Then rhinestones then cure. I’m wondering if matte doesn’t set rhinestones. Also wondering do top coats differ from the no. Swipe type to the one you have to swipe. And what is swipe. This gel is new and different ink my world. I’m sorry I need so much help and have so many questions

Last edited:
I don’t understand the airbrush system but don’t you need to use a base coat first?

I don’t understand the airbrush system but don’t you need to use a base coat first?
That’s my question. I’m new to gel system. So I’m tryikng to learn the proper steps.

Gel application should have been covered in your training. It's not something you can learn of youtube. You are skipping major steps here.

Another question, do you airbrush straight on the tip? you don't actually build the enhancement before you paint?
Not to mention that I can't imagine any gel polish being airbrushed. So is it normal polish you are airbrushing and then gel topcoating? And you expect it to last?
Most top coats aren't strong enough to hold rhinestones, regardless if it's normal, or matte or tacky free. There are numerous other ways to apply them.

Find yourself some proper training and all your problems will be solved.

Gel application should have been covered in your training. It's not something you can learn of youtube. You are skipping major steps here.

Another question, do you airbrush straight on the tip? you don't actually build the enhancement before you paint?
Not to mention that I can't imagine any gel polish being airbrushed. So is it normal polish you are airbrushing and then gel topcoating? And you expect it to last?
Most top coats aren't strong enough to hold rhinestones, regardless if it's normal, or matte or tacky free. There are numerous other ways to apply them.

Find yourself some proper training and all your problems will be solved.

Thank you for your reply. As far as proper training goes, I was trained to be a nail technician in 1991. The gel product on the market was different then. Since it has become a big thing in the millennium I am trying to add it to my services. When I was in cosmetology school gel nails weren’t taught as they didn’t exist. It seems to me salon geek was here for us to help each other. It would be helpful to read a persons question and answer it not try and make a person feel bad because you think you know something about their level of education. You might try taking a reading class. I never mentioned gel enhancements or airbrushing on top of gel nails. I’m quite aware of the gel system. As I was trained on it in a reputable salon. But as I try to do and create new things as most techs should, I’m reaching out to my fellow techs that may have come across and fixed some problems that I’m having. I don’t need anyone to question my training or skill level. I only need true techs who understand we all learned to do nails at some point to try and help me. So again. My problem is with my airbrush staying on my set of acrylic nails with gel top coat. Am I missing a step in there some place. I’m not sure if foundation is needed under airbrush. For top coat to adhere. I was under the impression the top coat adhered to unbuffed acrylic surface.

How about a refresher course? :) I've never heard of airbrush for nails

How about a refresher course? :) I've never heard of airbrush for nails
Then you had better get on that refresher ASAP. Because
Nails have been being designed by airbrush for longer than my 26 years in the business.

The purple nails are airbrushed on acrylic set no gels used at all. stones set in a product called For rhinestones only. lasted for three weeks this pic was taken after design was on for almost two weeks no chips in top coat it looks like she lost one stone in her pointer. The bottom is airbrush over acrylic tips with gel top coat. Stones set in top coat. Lost three the next day. Whether you are aware or not airbrush on nails is and has always been a thing. I thank those who genuinely tried to help me solve my problem to the rest. I am a nail tech and I’m good at what I do I’m having a problem at the moment. But I have endured and I will look to YOUTUBE for better support than the condescending answers some of you choose to give.
D5BCCE95-2A04-4C56-9CBE-9E7479D7955E.jpeg
E626A13B-B850-4396-BC21-20C120CE0AAC.jpeg

Hello,

There is a comprehension issue with your thread. A handful of people were unclear what your problem was and that is because you did not explain your issue using professional terminology or very clearly. Plus I think there's a bit of autocorrect going on as a lot of it didn't even make sense!

You're frustrated but people genuinely tried to help and decipher what your issues were hence their further questions. People on here are friendly and will always try and help others. No one was condescending.

Your designs are lovely but the pictures show a lot of product on skin. The nails aren't sealed in most cases as you haven't left a margin. You will always get lifting and peeling in those circumstances.

Then you had better get on that refresher ASAP. Because
Nails have been being designed by airbrush for longer than my 26 years in the business.

I'm alright thanks I'm only trained in CND Shellac™ so wouldn't have been taught airbrush anyway x

Ok I can see I was a little offending, but trying to learn something off youtube, when all of us here have paid tons of money to extend our education, was and still is an itchy spot.
I'm sure that as a trained tech yourself you wouldn't like people telling you they've learnt your art off youtube, when you've struggled and gave both your time and dedication to this. And reading your first posts, as Willowrose said, it was quite unclear what you meant and therefore easily mistaken for a non-professional.
However, since I can now understand both your problem as well as your technique better, here's my advice.:)

You apply the tip and build your acrylic enhancements.
So far you have been airbrushing. I have heard of it and seen it, although never really used it myself. However, I had looked into it a couple of years ago and the thing with airbrushing is it's using dilluted acrylic paint. Not gel polish. Gel is too thick in consistency to even be able to be spayed, not to mention it would probably clog that air-gun. So what's the biggy, right?

Well, acrylic paint as well as normal polish is a soft paint. It will move and shift in a molecular (did i say this correctly :rolleyes:?) level. Gel polish and therefore topcoats are supposed to be stronger than that. However, they won't hold a single day if what's underneath them moves and shifts a lot. They will crack, peel and chip. Would you apply acrylic on top of airbrushing? NO, because it's not strong enough a base to hold the acrylic. Same goes for gel; even if it's gel polish, it still contains gel! So that's problem one.
Problem 2 is that even gel top coats (any kind, matte, shine, non-wipe) are not strong enough to hold rhinestones. For rhinestones there are a couple of different solutions, both work just fine for small stones, just the one for larger though.

So for starters, I'd quit using your gel top coat. At least not with airbrushing. It's ruining your system. Either carry on with airbrushing as you did before, or invest in a full gel polish system (base-colours-top coat). It can be pricey, trust me we all know that. :mad::mad::mad:
After your acrylic enhancements are finished, you buff the nail to make it rough (not unbuffed as you said, and not too buffed to be shiny), apply 2 coats of gel polish colour and then your gel top coat. No base needed when applied on enhancements; base is only for natural nails.
By the way, being trained in a reputable salon doesn't really mean you know gels and it certainly doesn't cover you with insurance. Especially if they taught you that mixing systems (like airbrushing and gels) is fine...!:confused: If you really want to invest in this, getting a gel refresher course is not a bad idea, since you obviously lack some basic (gel-related) knowledge here.

For rhinestones:
1st way, finish the enhancement, colour and top. Buff the nail (even if it's gel polish underneath), just the spot you want the rhinestone to go. Apply nail glue, place your rhinestones, then (gel) top coat, or whatever you were using. They won't come off easily.
2nd way, get yourself a pot of a extremely non-self-leveling gel (hard gel), like Bling On by Akzentz, or Gummy Jelly by Enailcouture, and get also the relevant company's no-wipe top coat. Buff the nail as before. Place a bead of the gel, place your rhinestones on it, cure, top coat and cure. Enailcouture has a different procedure but you get the picture. You will need clippers to remove them

Here are a couple of videos, for Akzentz and Enailcouture

Latest posts

Back