Gel polish nightmare-is it time for recovery?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missashhh

Reaction score
Can we start a dedicated thread for gel polish nightmares yet?? Seems like this is just as popular as latest Shellac or Gelish art trends.

So I'm starting out and my aunt has been having me do her gel polish. I swear I have not had a success YET. Her nails are already beat up from long term wear of acrylics done at the cheap shop on the corner and she keeps shifting from having me or those salons for gel polish.

We use OPI Gel polish...she always asks for 2-3 coats of the "base" coat insisting it makes her nails stronger. Most recently I had a hell of a time getting off her gel polish which included a Light Elegence P+ glitter color. For the life of me...we did the foil method for removal and must have tried for 40minutes and STILL I could not get every bit of it off...even with light buffing after soaking. Finally it was midnight so I said screw it and laid the color. Of course now its chipping..which I anticipated and it's time to do it again.

I suggested she soak them off now and allow her nails to be exposed in hopes it would help any excess product to be able to lift/remove easier when I do her gel polish again. She's scared to do that stating her nails are too weak and will break.

Is it time for a recovery treatment to help her natural nails grow better or what in the world can I do if there is still bits of left over gel polish that cannot seem to be removed from the natural nail?!!??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek mobile app

Firstly, can I ask why you are being dictated to by your aunt/client, who is insisting she have 2/3 coats of the base, she is not the professional you are! I would hazard a guess that this is definitely your first problem in trying to remove your product! Applying too thick a base coat can cause problematic removal, let alone 2 extra coats of the stuff!!! It's one, thin coat for lots of reasons!!!
If you are looking for something else to give her nails strength I've heard IBX works wonders on the natural nail, alongside a gel manicure! X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

How about taking a class and suggesting that your Aunt grows her nails out? I don't understand why any professional would work on damaged nails or use a material that they don't know how to use.

Because my aunt is one of the most pushy people anyone could ever meet. She is the type that says she doesn't mind if the "cheese grater" used on feet is bad, "it works great!". She insists the 2-3 coats of base makes them stronger. Its so annoying. Every time I try to go along with the regular application its " No, it needs another coat!". I started doing her nails before I finished school. Thanks for pointing it out about the base coat being the cause of the problem. I had a hunch and that makes sense. This makes me feel better about telling her no, now.
I wanted to try IBX but not ready to invest as I'm just starting out. Someone just taught me how to do fiberglass wraps, so I plan on telling her that's the only way I'll do her nails. Then gel polish over that. I'm not doing this 2-3x base coats anymore, way too troublesome and time consuming.

Firstly, can I ask why you are being dictated to by your aunt/client, who is insisting she have 2/3 coats of the base, she is not the professional you are! I would hazard a guess that this is definitely your first problem in trying to remove your product! Applying too thick a base coat can cause problematic removal, let alone 2 extra coats of the stuff!!! It's one, thin coat for lots of reasons!!!
If you are looking for something else to give her nails strength I've heard IBX works wonders on the natural nail, alongside a gel manicure! X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

How about taking a class and suggesting that your Aunt grows her nails out? I don't understand why any professional would work on damaged nails or use a material that they don't know how to use.

Actually because I'm just starting out BobSweden and sadly my state approved school didn't teach much of anything, it was all self taught, so though I'm a licensed professional I'm still learning. Which is why I came here for advice not attitude. Thanks.

Because my aunt is one of the most pushy people anyone could ever meet. She is the type that says she doesn't mind if the "cheese grater" used on feet is bad, "it works great!". She insists the 2-3 coats of base makes them stronger. Its so annoying. Every time I try to go along with the regular application its " No, it needs another coat!". I started doing her nails before I finished school. Thanks for pointing it out about the base coat being the cause of the problem. I had a hunch and that makes sense. This makes me feel better about telling her no, now.
I wanted to try IBX but not ready to invest as I'm just starting out. Someone just taught me how to do fiberglass wraps, so I plan on telling her that's the only way I'll do her nails. Then gel polish over that. I'm not doing this 2-3x base coats anymore, way too troublesome and time consuming.

In this case I would just tell your aunt that you're not the nail tech for her. Especially if she keeps going from you to an NSS (non standard salon). Whatever work you do is just ruined by them anyway. Sometimes family is the hardest client but we have to put our foot down and move on.

I would just explain that its one coat of base coat, not 2-3. Explain to her that your the professional, you did your schooling and its either she listens to you or, unfortunately, you have to let her go as a client. Its hard but must be done

I agree with everyone, basecoat has to be applied as thinly as possible otherwise removal is a nightmare.
Clients don't know about our products so should not in any circumstances be telling us what to do.
You are the professional, and you need to stick by your guns and do things the right way. The fibreglass wrap sounds a much better option.

As for a rolling thread with everyone's nightmares with Gel Polish, that is not a good idea.
Individual threads for individual problems is how this site works.
In a rolling thread people asking for help may get missed or the wrong advice given to the wrong person due to people misusing the quote box!

This thread is just about you and your pushy aunt Missashhh :)

I don't think OPI have a soak off structure gel to help with strengthening a gel polish.Gelish have one which we find works perfectly with with Opi.
Calgel have IZ gel which is also compatible with all gel polish systems and I believe they will sell that to non Calgel trained techs.We use the Calgel clear( which you won't be able to buy without a conversion) I think Izgel is as strong but in a bottle.
Its really best to qualify in a whole enhancement system and not just gel polish so breaks,extensions and problems can be solved.
http://bellaformanails.com/contact/ this company in the USA may be of interest the gels were created by a Calgel educator and are very similar.

Last edited:
Thanks for your support and advice Jen889. That's kind of how I felt about the back and forth too.

In this case I would just tell your aunt that you're not the nail tech for her. Especially if she keeps going from you to an NSS (non standard salon). Whatever work you do is just ruined by them anyway. Sometimes family is the hardest client but we have to put our foot down and move on.

I would just explain that its one coat of base coat, not 2-3. Explain to her that your the professional, you did your schooling and its either she listens to you or, unfortunately, you have to let her go as a client. Its hard but must be done

Thank you too izzidoll for your explanation and advice. You all have helped me figure out what *really* is the problem here and how I need to go about resolving it.

I agree with everyone, basecoat has to be applied as thinly as possible otherwise removal is a nightmare.
Clients don't know about our products so should not in any circumstances be telling us what to do.
You are the professional, and you need to stick by your guns and do things the right way. The fibreglass wrap sounds a much better option.

As for a rolling thread with everyone's nightmares with Gel Polish, that is not a good idea.
Individual threads for individual problems is how this site works.
In a rolling thread people asking for help may get missed or the wrong advice given to the wrong person due to people misusing the quote box!

This thread is just about you and your pushy aunt Missashhh :)

Latest posts

Back