Gel polishes/overlays??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie_nw

Reaction score
Hey everyone and hello. Im new to site and not yet a nail tech, hopefully starting course in sept. I have a question that cant get my head round. I know there are different brands such as Jessica, OPI, CND, NSI, EzFlow etc., and theyall have different products. But what is the difference between gel polishes and gel overlays. Is NSI polish pro the same as Geleration and Gelez and Shellac? And are these the same as Bio Sculpture gel nails. I just cant get my head around it. Are gel overlays just a name for anything that goes over your nail, or is applied as a gel rather than a polish. Whats the difference between them and which is the best.

Am the same.half way through the nail tech course.but not yet started gels.i am doing the shellac day course soon.cant wait.but gel nails we wont do till after the summer its all so mind boggling,

Sent from my X10i using SalonGeek

Gel polishes, Gelish, Geleration, Artistic Colour gloss, OPI Gel color, and a power polish like Shellac are different from Soak off gels and Hard gels, in that they require you to have a manicure qualification before you do a training course or purchase them.

Soak off Gels like Calgel, Biosculpture you require to do their training before purchase and use. The same goes for Hard Gels like Brisa, Harmoney Gelish Hard gel and too numerous to mention.

The differences between soak offs and hard gels is detailed in this article...http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/35483-choosing-correct-gel.html

Thats a fab link. So let me get this straight.
Some can be applied with one coat, and some with 3. But.... are they all applied like a varnish and then cured, or are some applied like a gel (not sure what that would look like to be honest). Are these known as hybrid.
Now you hear different brands claiming they are the best/dont damage nails etc. Is it the buffing that damaged the nail, or is it the removal that damaged the nail.
Do all of these gels need the nail to be buffed before application to aid adhesion? I see there are hard gels that are more durable, but need to be filed off. Does filing damage the nail.
Which would be the best for a basic overlay (not extension), soft or hard? Ive seen a salon offering an NSI 2 week manicure or £25, and overlays for £30. I dont understand that. Is the NSI manicure not a gel overlay, and if it is why the difference in price? Sorry but just cant get my head around it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a fab link. So let me get this straight.
Some can be applied with one coat, and some with 3. But.... are they all applied like a varnish and then cured, or are some applied like a gel (not sure what that would look like to be honest). Are these known as hybrid.
Now you hear different brands claiming they are the best/dont damage nails etc. Is it the buffing that damaged the nail, or is it the removal that damaged the nail.

Do all of these gels need the nail to be buffed before application to aid adhesion? I see there are hard gels that are more durable, but need to be filed off. Does filing damage the nail.
Which would be the best for a basic overlay (not extension), soft or hard? Ive seen a salon offering an NSI 2 week manicure or £25, and overlays for £30. I dont understand that. Is the NSI manicure not a gel overlay, and if it is why the difference in price? Sorry but just cant get my head around it.

A 2 week manicure would use a gel polish which is applied like a polish, but cured under a UV or LED lamp like a gel.
A Gel overlay is applied like a gel, which is a longer process and a stronger product, hence the higher cost.

A properly trained nail tech would not damage the natural nail buffing off a hard gel.

What nail training is it you are thnking of doing in September?

A 2 week manicure would use a gel polish which is applied like a polish, but cured under a UV or LED lamp like a gel.
A Gel overlay is applied like a gel, which is a longer process and a stronger product, hence the higher cost.

A properly trained nail tech would not damage the natural nail buffing off a hard gel.

What nail training is it you are thnking of doing in September?

I dont know yet. I was going to do beauty, but because of current recession i get the impression that facials and waxing is on the decline, but people will always want their nails done. I hear people saying that nails is their bread and butter. But i dont know whether to do just manicure and pedicure etc, or look at doing extensions aswell. I like the sound of overlays, as not everyone can have long nails for work etc.

Is the only difference between a gel polish and a gel the durability then\? How long are you likely to get out of gel overlay. Ive heard EzFloiw Trugel mentioned on another thread. Is this they new kid on the block?

I dont know yet. I was going to do beauty, but because of current recession i get the impression that facials and waxing is on the decline, but people will always want their nails done. I hear people saying that nails is their bread and butter. But i dont know whether to do just manicure and pedicure etc, or look at doing extensions aswell. I like the sound of overlays, as not everyone can have long nails for work etc.

Is the only difference between a gel polish and a gel the durability then\? How long are you likely to get out of gel overlay. Ive heard EzFloiw Trugel mentioned on another thread. Is this they new kid on the block?

Manicure + pedicure would be the best starting place, and then that can lead on to Gel polishes which are the most popular service at the moment, and that shows no sign of changing.
Trugel is EzFlows gel polish...most nail companies are bringing out their version, so there should be one to suit every nail tech!

So is geleration the same as shellac and NSI polish pro? If so why is it much more expensive? ta x

Manicure + pedicure would be the best starting place, and then that can lead on to Gel polishes which are the most popular service at the moment, and that shows no sign of changing.
Trugel is EzFlows gel polish...most nail companies are bringing out their version, so there should be one to suit every nail tech!

TruGel is indeed a gel polish but what's different about it is its not actually got any polish solvents like hybrids and is 100% pure gel so it can be infilled and is fab for design and nail art too

Jess x

EzFlow Master Artist Educator

Last edited by a moderator:
TruGel is indeed a gel polish but what's different about it is its not actually got any polish solvents like hybrids and is 100% pure gel so it can be infilled and is fab for design and nail art too

Jess x

EzFlow Master Artist Educator

So does that mean its more like bio sculpture gel then? Also what is geleration as i see it advertised everywhere?

Latest posts

Back