got an interview but think it maybe not such a good idea!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerrie-anne

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

not very often i post on here, mostly busy reading all the advice, threads and tutorilas if not then practicing like a mad woman! Anyhow i moved back to Scotland 3 months ago and though i would work from home as i passed my beauty therapy and nail enhancment courses back in April and it was the easiest option when i have 2 young children, but last week i felt really fed up not getting out and meeting other grown ups as much as i would like so decided to call around some salons to see if there was any work and yesterday a lady called me back to ask if i could come in a do a set of nails on her.

First i thought great then she asked me to do pink n white acrylic without a white tip aaahh!! I'm afraid i have been using these tips because although i practice and practice i dont feel they are any good yet i did tell her this but she said dont worry just do my best. Last night i could not sleep i have done 2 sets this morning and they are awful, no way can i put them on her nails, as i work from home this could also stop people who see them from ever comiong to me. Im so worried that i dont think i should go. sorry this is such a long thread, just as well i dont post much ha ha!!!

What do you guys think i should do?

Sometimes Kerrie, what we think are hideous nails which we have created, are actually beautiful to someone else. One tends to be hypercritical of ones own work. Just stand back for a minute and take a breather and don't be so hard on yourself. Ask yourself this question...... What is it you don't like about the nails you have just created? Critique yourself. Are they too thick and chunky? Are they uneven or lumpy and bumpy? keep asking yourself questions as if you were critiquing someone else and then say to yourself how you could correct any mistakes you may have made. They are probably not as bad as you think but positively change or correct what you can. Chin up and have more confidence in yourself.

thanks Mrs Clooney
I have looked at my nails and find that i cant get even and consistent smile lines and sometimes they can be a bit thick for my liking and i have to spend ages filing them down. The problem tomorrow is that i dont want to put the nails on this lady because there def not good enough, thats why when i work from home i prefer white tips, and everone will be looking at them. Its a first impression of my work that in my eyes is not good enough, then potential clients will be put off coming to me for their nails. The lady interviewing me also said she uses white tips so why wont she let me! Feel like not bothering and carrying on just working away form home on my own.:rolleyes:

Did you ask her why she won't let you use white tips? I'm not trained in traditional p&W so I can't really help you there. Sorry.

Hi,

Great advice from Mrs Clooney...we are all very critical of our own work.....I used to get all worried if I felt a set wasn't up to standard and worry myself sick, until they came back for a rebalance...and when I saw them again I would realise then Hey...they were good!!....what was all that worry for?

It is good to be a perfectionist and critical though because that is how we improve......

I am sure this salon owner will take on board the fact that you will be nervous and you are inexperienced with the Forever French overlay...maybe she would let you do 1 hand FF overlay and the other with white tips to show her what you can do!!!

You should definitely go for the interview because nothing ventured nothing gained....salon experience especially over the busy Christmas period could be very good for you....but if the interview doesn't go your way then I don't think you will lose from it as you will still have your home clients...who I am sure are very happy with your work......

But I am sure you and a lot of Techs reading this thread will now realise that you can't just rely on white tips...today's Nail Technician does have to know her trade and have the skill to apply product without them.....and give a choice of styles and looks for her clientel.....

Good Luck.....and let us know how it went.......

Hi Kerrie!

Good on you for going round the salons...excellent news! :D Is it tomorrow you have to do the nails too? Good luck babe! When I do my smiles I try and either follow the natural smile line or preferably a mm or two below it. Are they providing the model? I went for a similar interview once but could take my own model and they didn't watch me just checked the end result so was less nerve-racking. I'll try and give you a call later to wish you good luck!

You know I did my daughters nails she works in Specsavers I did not use white tips I used White and pink L&P I did not think they were great!!! BUT everyone else who has seen them thinks they are really nice I think I might have got some clients now and some of them go to a salon to have there nailos done and they say they are as good as there's.

So do not worry too much I am sure you will do fine let us know how it goes.

Caz xxx

Thanks for the support. Spoke with the salon owner a short while ago to let her know how worried i was about the p&w she said she just wants to see me blend a tip on a couple of nails then its fine to use a white tip on the rest, she just wants them all to be pink and white, she usually wears a white tip herself anyway. Not so panicked now so hopefully will get a better night sleep tonight. Will keep on practicing those smiles though:biggrin:

Will let you all know how i get on tomorrowxxx

good luck youll be fine ,just relax!!!!

Good point Caz! Similar thing recently happened to me, I was pleasantly surprised that people were begining to notice my nails and comment that they were really nice and I have now gained a new client or two out of it. Even tho my smiles are far from perfect and I've a long way to go yet ....it's a good feeling!

I think i am just way to fussy not just with my nails, my other half tells me that all the time! Mad about nails cant you just telll that my other half has arrived home for the weekend, to be on here at this time of night is unheard of! Its great when he comes home and just takes over with the kids, wether he likes it or not, kids dont give me a second look, its GREAT. :)

I've just pm-ed you kerrie. So glad you've spoken to the salon owner and feeling better about it. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! Goodluck :hug:

Oh I am very fussy aswell and I think we all are we all want to do the best job ever which is good and I think this shows we are really into what we are doing.

Caz xxx

:smack: Good luck with your interview and remember your nails will probabily look fab. no matter what you put on them weither its white tips or not.

best wishes with tomorrow

catherine

Just want to wish you good luck chick
Im sure you will be fine babe
sending good luck vibes
Deb x

what about using the white tip ,then apply the white powder , i know quite a few peeps who do this and it will help you get used to doing smile lines , plus you will have a guide to work to so u shouldnt go too far wrong , hth and good luck xxx

Latest posts

Back