Hair loss after extension removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theragdolly

Reaction score
Hair Professionals, I need your help! I've recently had my extensions removed, and have ended with what can only be described as candy floss on my head.

Twelve weeks ago, I had approx 160no 0.8 & 1.0g 18" nail tip extensions applied. I only really wanted to thicken up my own hair, but the stylist convinced me to keep the length too, saying if I didn't get on with the length I could have them trimmed to match my own hair. Anyway, having had extensions in the past (only a half head) I was fully aware of the aftercare needed, and looked after them impeccably - plaiting every night, always holding near to the root when brushing to avoid tension, detangling to avoid matting, no conditioner on bonds, sulphate free shampoo etc etc basically I know the rules and I stuck to them vigilantly.

Anyway, over time I lost maybe 6 or 7 bonds, all of which were my own fault, picking or fiddling with them and then brushing a bit too close to the bond (I was naughty on occasion, using my paddle brush as opposed to the one I was issued with). When these bonds came out, I noticed that my hair was still intact within the bond, and I don't mean like one or two strands, I mean maybe 8 or 9. I put this down to natural shedding and the fact they were being held there by the bond, until the last hair came out, and tried not to worry. The, last Thursday, when I had them removed, I knew there was going to be a massive difference, as I'd gotten used to the extra thickness over time, but oh my god I literally have no hair :(

I don't have any bald patches, and watching the stylist take them out, they were sliding off my hair very easily, and it didn't feel like my hair was pulling when they came out. That said, when she was combing through where there was some glue left on my hair, that felt like I could have been losing some. But, not tons.

So, nearly a week after I had them taken out, my hair still feels as brittle and thin as it did on the day they came out, the ends are wispy beyond belief and it's getting me down. I don't want to complain to the stylist in case she has done nothing wrong, but I'm certainly not imagining this hair loss; I've been flicking through photos of 'before' and I DEFINITELY had more hair.

Geeks, what do I do? I'm desperate for your help!

Hmm tricky one. Could be a number of things.
Do you know what brand she used? Did the extensions feel tight of too close when they were applied ( can cause traction )?
We all go through times when our hair will naturally thin for a while (telogen alopecia) , this may just be an unfortunatley times coincidence?
It could be that the glue applied was of poor quality, causing it to dehydrate your hair, making it brittle and malnourished. This can cause breakage which will make it feel thinner.
So, what to do? I would reccomend a good cut, Joico Kpak shampoo and treatment system with in salon treatments in between.
If you want thicker hair, why not try Redken Intra Force Aminexl treament. Im using it myself to speed up my hair growth and its great to make it thicker quicker.
Hope that helps
xx

Latest posts

Back